Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ipad for child with special needs

• 27-11-2012 6:02pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I want to get my son a tablet to help him speech therapy and communication. They use Ipads in school, and while I'm mostly in the android camp, i'll concede defeat on this one! :D

He's 5 going on 6. It's only really for learning apps. I don't need large capacity I would think. Do you think the mini would be a good option, or too small?

Any recommendations on what to get? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

Same situation as yourself with my 5 year old i went with the bigger ipad i think the mini is too small for this tbh, also do you know that you can get a free ipad if you collect old phones ?. more information HERE
    MarkR wrote: »
    I want to get my son a tablet to help him speech therapy and communication. They use Ipads in school, and while I'm mostly in the android camp, i'll concede defeat on this one! :D

He's 5 going on 6. It's only really for learning apps. I don't need large capacity I would think. Do you think the mini would be a good option, or too small?

Any recommendations on what to get? Thanks

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've collected all my phones already for the school!

200 phones is a bit of an ask for a tablet. Does anyone have 200 old phones they'd like to donate to me? :)

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

I don't have 200 but I bet if i looked I might find 10 or so knocking around I'd be more than willing to send them on to help get your son an iPad. might be a few more on here PM if it takes off :)

I wouldn't feel right doing that. I have an alright job, and we're both working. I would accept them, but i'll collect them for the school he's in.

Santa's going to need to be effing minted this year.:eek:

MarkR wrote: »
    I wouldn't feel right doing that. I have an alright job, and we're both working. I would accept them, but i'll collect them for the school he's in.

Santa's going to need to be effing minted this year.:eek:
    We actually collected our phones in 6 weeks and had 80 to give to the school left over you would be surprised how easy it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

BrendanD wrote: »
    We actually collected our phones in 6 weeks and had 80 to give to the school left over you would be surprised how easy it is

OP, I have a few phones in my dresser at home, PM me, I'd be happy to help.

And I'll pass on the request!

GSW
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I have 3 old ones...so am happy to donate

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Ill check when i go home as i am still getting in phones but think i have between 20 to 30 you can have :-)

From the website

Collect and recycle old mobile phones in return for great technology gifts while also helping Irish Autism Action raise much needed funds to assist families touched by autism.

So they actually make money out of this which goes to the Irish Autism Action

The good people of boards to the rescue. :)

I work in Limerick, live in Shannon. I'll pay postage for anyone that wants to send me a job lot of phones. If you're in the vicinity, I can pick them up.

It will be nice to be able to donate a ipad to the school. I'll still be buying one for my son, the phones will definitely be put to good use. His school is a school for children with ASD, so it will really help those kids.

+1 internet for all

Thanks

Advertisement