Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Positive Birth Stories

• 27-11-2012 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I'm curious to hear really positive birth stories. Would really like a little boost as I'm feeling quite nervous!! Could do with hearing about really quick, pain free labours!!!! Do they exist?! Please post yours if you have experienced this!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I had a 12lb boy back in 2007. I was due to be induced on the Monday, 14 days overdue, but went into labour on the Sunday morning, went to hospital about 11am, was in the delivery ward by midday, had an epidural at 2pm, and slept until 9pm when I was woken by the midwife as it was time to push! 20mins later my whopping great 12lber was born.

If I can deliver a baby that size you have nothing to worry about!

Edit to add: he was my first child, and I can't wait to have more!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭DoubleB

wow you are an amazing woman!!Much respect to you and thanks for quick reply. x

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have 2 girls ,2009 and 2011.
    My 1st was born New Years day and the midwives were amazing and lovely and I had my own private room with shower and bath and happily stayed for 3 days:)
    My official labour was about 2 hours I think,quick but slow enough not to be horrendous.
    I had no pain relief and survived:)
    My 2nd girl was a 45 minute labour, a bit too quick for my liking but again everyone in Holles st was amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

There's also our lovely Birth Stories thread! (Skip past the scary ones, although there's not many of them!!)

I was meant to add a link there... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056422580

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Emmacash

My daughter was born on new years eve 2006 weighing a very healthy 10lbs. Okay so labour was 14 hours but I was in and out of sleep the whole time and when it eventually came time to push, it was just like a strong pressure low down on my back.
    The staff could not have been nicer and I can honestly say one of THE best experiences of my life.
    The pride I felt after I had delivered my little girl was incomparable. I couldn't believe I had done it :)
    Congratulations and good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

I read lots of positive birth stories on the gentlebirth.ie website. Those women Make it sound so easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Yes, some great stories on the gentle birth website - and here on boards.

DoubleB, I would also recommend getting the Gentle Birth pack. It's well worth the money. I found them fantastic, really helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Squiggler wrote: »
    DoubleB, I would also recommend getting the Gentle Birth pack. It's well worth the money. I found them fantastic, really helpful.

Oh, me too. The hypnobirthing was great. Even after a tough delivery I was 'calm, confident and in control' (ish!).

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭missis aggie

+1 for gentlebirth.ie loads of beautifull birth stories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Had a mooch on gentle birth website there, looks good, must invest myself!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My son was born in February, and it was a lovely experience. I got the epidural so I didn't feel any pain. Took a while to get to fully dilated but it only took about 15 mins of pushing to get him out! I just loved being pregnant and having the baby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I was due 22nd April 2012, on on thurs 26th was due a sweep. Had heard this would be painful and may bring on false labour pains. Not in my case. Its was uncomfartable but i wouldnt say sore. When doc said "now" and started to move away and said i could get dressed i actually asked was she done.
    Sat 28th about 3 am i woke with a few niggly pains, Nothing major but wouldnt go away, Got OH up about 5 and headed to hosp about 9.
    Waters were gone and i was 2-3cm.
    No pains for the rest of the day but as waters were gone i couldnt go home. 9am sun 29th went to labour ward to be put on drip, 10am pains started, werent very bad, tried gas but couldnt time it right with contraction so ended up just laughing after contraction. Got epidural at 2pm. Was 6cm (epidural wasnt great as a midwife moved my leg to straighten me and they thought i got an air pocket, but didnt) had a snooze for a while. My lovely midwife (not the one that moved me) woke me at 5pm to examine me and i was 10cm. So she said on next contraction you can push. Then she sad your having one now, push. Couldnt feel a thing, was half asleep and didnt know wheather i was pushing or not.
    So she had to turn down epidural and at 6pm told me to start pushing again. I was still fairly numb and about 6.50 they got doc in to look as babs heart rate was dropping with each contraction. I heard them mention forseps and i had her out ASAP. She was born 6.59 and was perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

My second baby - woke up at 9am got out of bed and my waters broke. Got to the hospital a bit late for an epidural 2nd stage of labour only took 8mins, was able to get up and walk around immediately after having an 8lb baby. I was a bit freeked about going through labour without an epidural, it was'nt quite pain free but was over so quickly.

Best of luck to you with your labour;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

If you're looking for lots more positive birth stories there are tons of them posted in the private GentleBirth Facebook group. It's for anyone interested positive birth - first or fifth baby. (Posts don't show up outside the group so friends/family won't be on your case if you're considering not having the epidural).;) It's a really supportive group.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/273661266056860/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Positive Birth Stories
    Hi Guys,
    I'm curious to hear really positive birth stories. Would really like a little boost as I'm feeling quite nervous!! Could do with hearing about really quick, pain free labours!!!! Do they exist?! Please post yours if you have experienced this!!!

Positive : check
    quick : check
    painless: no time to think about it, so check
    up and in the shower 10 mins later : check
    No damage to mammy : check
    It was like I was never pregnant 20 mins later!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76877745&postcount=38

This was my second, my first was a bit different, but birth gats better with practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭Quirkygirl

Girls I am pregnant on my 3rd baby, have had two beautiful babies, naturally with no pain relief, I read a book called hypnobirthing by Marie mongan, that's all. My births were amazing experiences, I was calm, relaxed, and excited about meeting my babies. I know the 3rd will be the same. I would highly recommend it. We are made for this very purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Not pain free but manageable. First baby and home birth so no hope of an epidural anyway :D. Found gas and air useless.

Officially 9hrs in labour, only 4 1/2hrs of that was very sore (and obviously not constantly, just with contractions) and about 45mins of that was pushing and the actual birth. The first 4 1/2hrs of labour was a doddle, just period cramps every 5 mins or so. Contractions didn't heat up til about an hour after waters broke and by then I was already 6-7cm.

Your body just seems to know what it's at, I found, and you have to just go with it and not be scared of it as much as possible. I never had instances of shouting "I can't do it!". I had no control over the pushing, it just happened! I just did what the midwife said, which was easy as I trusted her loads.

No tears or cuts, baby came out fine & breathing straight away and lovely colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

Dramatic entrance of ds1:
    So I was having backache for the past week and bump was getting really hard all over but it was not stopping me in my daily life so I kept on going.On Sunday night, I had 2 hours of cramps n backache, again I went to bed and could sleep thought nothing of it.I went to work on monday morning and had normal day. On monday night, I was a bit crampy but again I could sleep so .........At 2:15 am, I went to the loo and I got my bloody show. The pains then came on quite strong from about 3 am and stopped me in my tracks. I was timing them as 5 minutes apart and 30 secs in length.I then rang cumh at 3:04 , was told I should have cup of tea maybe shower then come in.BY 3:10 am pain unbearable, and I had terrible pressure down low. So we started to get ready to head to cumh. OH rang taxi at 3:19,taxi driver cut all red lights etc so we were there about 3:30, I could kinda walk in to hospital was checked immediately and brought to labour ward. On way to labour ward,I felt a gush, it was my waters. Apparently, the nurses saId " we should make it down to ward!?!". Glad I didn't hear that.I gave birth kneeling on bed at approx 3:50 am and had about 4 pushes before baby was born with no pain relief aside from gas and air for placenta. I found the gas n air hard to take as my throat was so dry.I was then left in labour ward til 6 am ish ....

No tearinf/stitches or pain relief.

Dreading second labour as they say 2nd is quicker

Well I went from 12 hrs to 1 hr on my second, so!!!

Wow, fair play to the taxi driver, you really could have had baby in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Well I went from 12 hrs to 1 hr on my second, so!!!

Wow, fair play to the taxi driver, you really could have had baby in the car.
    I know dreading number 2 arriving quicker....

• Advertisement

I have no complaints, 10 mins after having him, I was in the shower, it was like I was never pregnant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I have no complaints, 10 mins after having him, I was in the shower, it was like I was never pregnant.

That was my favorite part about my third birth... being able to shower right after it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Two very nice labours.

I was induced with both, pre eclampsia both times. I've heard some terrible stories about inductions but I have to say I loved knowing when I was going in and being prepared.

I had epidurals early on and slept for the majority of the time. Woke up in order to push and that was it.

The only bad point was the staff, I had spent so much time thinking about the physical act of giving birth I forgot how much of the experience is about the other people in the room and how they treat you. My advice to any mum to be would be not to be afraid to say whats on her mind or question anything you don't feel 100% about either yourself or via your birth partner.

Advertisement