Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People's reactions to comedians they don't like

Options
  • 27-11-2012 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

This is something I've noticed, how comedy seems to attract a level of dislike stronger that just about no other art form?

An example is the current after hours thread on Ricky Gervais.

Some select quotes

"Ricky Jervais is a fat unfunny tosser."
    "He is an unfunny, no talent long, past his sell-by date buffoon."
    "Ricky Gervais is an unfunny hypocritical dick. Wish he would f**k off already. He was a bit funny at the start, now his material is just recycled crap"
    "Unfunny, sarcastic little prick. And that gangley dork with the glasses that's with him sometimes is another fukking idiot."

Replace Ricky Gervais with any other comedian, and you'll get the same type of responses. This is not restricted to After Hours, I've often heard people in real life practically have a fit on the mere mention of certain comedians.

I've also noticed that passions rarely run as high the other way. As in, people rarely adore comedians. They like them, sure but you rarely hear people sing the praises of their favourite comedians like they do bands, artists etc.

Which is strange, because comedy one of the most subjective things out there. Everyone finds different things funny. Same as how everyone has different tastes in food, film, music etc.

So what is it about comedy that elicits such reactions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Blisterman wrote: »
    Replace Ricky Gervais with any other comedian, and you'll get the same type of responses.

You probably won't. It's just him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

In fairness, none of those people are remotely funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Stewart Lee collects his hate: http://www.stewartlee.co.uk/online_critiques.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I think a lot of people really get off on ripping into a comedian they don't like. I think it's a roundabout way of showing off how better developed their sense of humour is than everyone elses. I mean, just look at this very forum. The thread for talking about comedians you hate was infinitely more popular than the one for comedians you love.

• Advertisement

I like comedy. I go to live comedy at least once a month. I am not a comedian nor an aspirant. I just like the idea of going out and knowing I'll have a laugh pretty much guaranteed.
    I have favourite stand ups. None of the people mentioned in this thread are among them. In fact, it's pretty much a list of people who for one reason or another I don't remotely find funny. Obviously some people do or they wouldn't make a living. Obviously others agree with me or we wouldn't be discussing it.
    I suspect that a lot of people, when they don't enjoy comedy, aren't happy to just sit back and wait in the hope that a giggle might eventually come along, as I am. Instead, they get bored, and feel ripped off and want to change the situation. This is where heckling comes from I think (that and drink, obviously.)
    But also, there could well be an element of "he's not funny. I'm funnier than he is." You get that both in a lot of heckling, where the punter tries to be funny themselves, and indeed in Stewart Lee's list of abuse.
    Bottom line is, stand up is a bloodsport. You don't make people laugh, you die. People entering the trade know that. People watching comics know it too. It's what gives comedy an edge that many other forms of entertainment don't have.
    Also, humour is subjective, yada yada.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

You could make the same argument about musicians, yet you rarely hear people heckling them. Most people either grin and bear it, or leave.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

jason byrne,as funny as cancer,awful muck

pontia wrote: »
    jason byrne,as funny as cancer,awful muck

Case in point. Nobody mentioned Jason Byrne. The OP queried as to why people are so vocal about comedians they dislike and in comes someone to give out about a comedian they don't like (and with the severely overused 'funny as cancer' line to boot!).

Blisterman wrote: »
    You could make the same argument about musicians, yet you rarely hear people heckling them. Most people either grin and bear it, or leave.

They're amplified louder. I've seen people heckle at lectures, public meetings and spoken word performances in the past. It's not just comedy. Also, many comedians welcome it as a chance to adlib and joust verbally. I think you're coming across a bit paranoid here. All sectors in art receive criticism, often very vicious.

• Advertisement

All sectors in art receive criticism, often very vicious.

True. But I don't think you could class most heckles as well thought out criticism.

And despite what you may think, most comedians have extreme disdain for hecklers, especially ones that don't know when to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I guess people sometimes perceive comedians as "dicks" or whatever if their material deals with topics they don't like or if they find them offensive or something. People tend to get offended quite easily and a lot of comedians set out to over-step the mark, so people might take it up completely the wrong way and so it inspires some kind of disproportionate hate. Also, everyone thinks they're hilarious (for some reason), and so if they come across a comedian that they don't find funny, there seems to be an immediate desire to 'better' them or embarrass them in an attempt to be funny themselves (usually failing).

On the comparisons to music, plenty of musicians get heckled, for sure. Music is a lot more personal than comedy though I think, in that there's something about music that speaks to people on a different level to something like comedy. People seem to find solace and meaning in their favourite music. Comedians simply make people laugh and occasionally give people something to think about, but it's not quite as 'soulful' (for want of a better word) as music is. Perhaps that's why you don't have the other end of the spectrum - 'I love this comedian so much and I'm going to defend him to the death!' like you find with music.

True. But I don't think you could class most heckles as well thought out criticism.

And despite what you may think, most comedians have extreme disdain for hecklers, especially ones that don't know when to stop.

Most criticism of most art isn't that well-thought out either. It often has the benefit of being written, and hence slightly contemplated, but internet discussion boards such as this indicate that not everyone thinks any more than a heckler does before pressing 'submit."
    Also, I did say many comedians welcomed a heckle. I didn't say all, or even a majority. But while some do, and while some variations of comedy involve audience interaction, the audience will feel permitted to interject. Sensitive comedians who don't relish that possibility might wish to take up stage acting or some other discipline where audience interaction is rarely or never encouraged.

But while some do, and while some variations of comedy involve audience interaction, the audience will feel permitted to interject. Sensitive comedians who don't relish that possibility might wish to take up stage acting or some other discipline where audience interaction is rarely or never encouraged.

Audience interaction or encouraged participation isn't heckling though. That's audience interaction. Heckling is that unwanted shout which can often ruin a gag, break a comedian's flow or just spoil part of the set I think. And while the ensuing put-down or exchange between a comedian and heckler might be amusing it can totally throw a performance if idiots insist on doing it repeatedly.

And while you think most criticism might not be well thought out at least most musicians/artists/filmmakers get the benefit of not being 'criticised' whilst in the middle of their practice.

Nobody turns up on Brett Ratner's film set and shouts out 'You're sh*t'. (Somebody probably should but that's besides the point!)

I think we've got off the point slightly though. Blisterman is talking about general reaction and the sort of vitriol that some people level at comedians not just heckling.

I think we've got off the point slightly though. Blisterman is talking about general reaction and the sort of vitriol that some people level at comedians not just heckling.

Certain filmmakers are on the receiving end of such vitriol too. Michael Bay and Quentin Tarantino, for example, are two names you can't mention in the Films forum without someone going on an angry tangent that feels more personal than critical. I agree that it's more commonly aimed at comedians, but it's not exclusive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Kevin Bridges. Caught all yous out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Footballers seem to come in for the same level of criticism i.e

Roy keane A small angry cork cnut and not the least bit funny.

Luis Suarez about as funny as a kick in the stones.

John Terry Not in the least bit funny.

Advertisement