Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking a turkey

Options
  • 27-11-2012 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am new to this forum but I am a big outdoor cooking fan.

I am close to buying a charcoal smoker, such as the Weber Smokey Mountain, mainly for cooking the christmas turkey. Here is an example from a.n.other:

youtube linky

I am big into slow cooking, e.g. roasts, ribs, etc. But I have never eaten food cooked on a smoker.

Has anyone here eaten food from a smoker? Especially a turkey? Does it taste good?

I'd hate to go to all the effort, then find I don't like the taste!

Thanks for any input :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

We hot smoke most of our fish and it tastes amazing. Mackeral and sea bass are especially nice and it's great fun experimenting with different types of wood chippings to give off a different flavour, got some delivered from Canada the other day! I don't know anything about smoking a turkey though. It has such high chance of becoming a dry meat on cooking at the best of times so I'm not sure how that would translate through smoking. I guess you should probably do a practice run before Dec 25th to suss it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

I'd recommend starting with chicken first and experiment a few times before cooking a turkey.

You'll need to use an appropriate amount of wood chips along with the charcoal and also check which woods and seasonings are to your taste. This will only come with experimentation.

Rest assured though, hot smoked poultry is incredibly tasty and when you get it right, it's so tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

We've cooked a number of turkeys on the BGE and all have been wonderful.

Advertisement