Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre installation

Options
  • 27-11-2012 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Hey, anyone notice what looks to be a finer installation going on at the entrance to Charlesland and on the top of the link road near Kilcoole roundabout?

Could it finally be our upgraded UPC cable???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I doubt it but we can hope!!

They are still there at the moment.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hey, anyone notice what looks to be a finer installation going on at the entrance to Charlesland and on the top of the link road near Kilcoole roundabout?

Could it finally be our upgraded UPC cable???
    I saw some cables being pulled in at the roundabout a few days ago, they were also near Superquinn. No idea what type of cable though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Its Eircom putting in Fibre.

Don't be fooled into signing up for it, its going to be expensive and capped. Wait six months when they open it up to other sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Its Eircom putting in Fibre.

Don't be fooled into signing up for it, its going to be expensive and capped. Wait six months when they open it up to other sellers.
    Eircom don't sell residential fibre from what in aware so that kinda sounds like another sweeping statement

If it is Eircom it might be fibre for business or fibre to an NGN node for local next generation upgrades

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Wicklow Fine Gael TD, Simon Harris has today welcomed the announcement by Eircom of Phase IV of their Fibre Rollout

“This announcement is fantastic for County Wicklow as Phase IV includes Arklow, Greystones, Newtownmountkennedy and Wicklow Town. This is a welcome development and opens up new opportunities for businesses, community groups and local schools.

http://www.simonharris.ie/?p=1884

• Advertisement

Eircom don't sell residential fibre from what in aware so that kinda sounds like another sweeping statement

If it is Eircom it might be fibre for business or fibre to an NGN node for local next generation upgrades

Thy cant sell something they are only installing. It will be fibre to cabinet and copper to houses.

Jimjay wrote: »
    Wicklow Fine Gael TD, Simon Harris has today welcomed the announcement by Eircom of Phase IV of their Fibre Rollout

“This announcement is fantastic for County Wicklow as Phase IV includes Arklow, Greystones, Newtownmountkennedy and Wicklow Town. This is a welcome development and opens up new opportunities for businesses, community groups and local schools.

http://www.simonharris.ie/?p=1884
    Thy cant sell something they are only installing. It will be fibre to cabinet and copper to houses.

not to houses, to business.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

It isn't due to go live until December 2013 FTTC

wasn't eircoms fttc programme postponed when they went into recievership?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No, they're busy installing the ducting, fibre and FTTC cabinets all over the place as we speak. I'm surprised you haven't seen them, they've been active all over Bray for the last 6 months or more.

• Advertisement

http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/eircom_Announces_Locations_for_Phase_III_Fibre_Rollout/

Phase IV hasn't being Officially announced but Greystones is Ear Marked for December 2013, i cant give you a Source but trust me ;) It may even be quicker tbh

http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/eircom_Announces_Locations_for_Phase_III_Fibre_Rollout/

Phase IV hasn't being Officially announced but Greystones is Ear Marked for December 2013, i cant give you a Source but trust me ;) It may even be quicker tbh

Is your source the 3 Eircom salesmen knocking on doors and telling everyone to sign up now for ordinary broadband and that fiber is coming next year.

One of them was kind enough to tell I should wait until other companies get it wholesale.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Quackhart

Irrespective of eircom offering it Wholesale, the only real price reductions will happen when UPC are tagged as having SMP by comreg, which unfortunately is very unlikely, as the Pantera song goes they "ain't got the balls son..." :confused:

The other being when and IF naked broadband is rolled out. BUT since comreg are doing their utmost in preventing eircom offering it competitively to other operators so they don't annoy UPC that is probably going to be a while yet too. :rolleyes:

Eircom will continue to charge the maximum agreed price that they can get under the controls set by comreg, irrespective of the Wholesale pricing. If they were allowed to offer it naked, existing line but no account needed, THEN we will see some real competitive pricing. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Quackhart wrote: »
    Irrespective of eircom offering it Wholesale, the only real price reductions will happen when UPC are tagged as having SMP by comreg, which unfortunately is very unlikely, as the Pantera song goes they "ain't got the balls son..." :confused:
    What is SMP?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Alun wrote: »
    What is SMP?

I think it's "significant market power" and therefore subject to the same level of regulatory control as a former monopoly like eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Quackhart

I think it's "significant market power" and therefore subject to the same level of regulatory control as a former monopoly like eircom.

Tis exactly that.
    As the SMP they should be required as happened with eircom to open up that last mile everybody used to bang on about. Fibre is for the most part soft managed at the network and core access side. So opening up that last copper mile to the fibre network could be quite easy. If someone had the cahones to ask, cajole, thinly disguise it under some e-ireland umbrella as development for the greater good of greystonia and all who sail in her..... ahem we might just get there quicklier.

I often wonder how much time our locally elected have spent investigating the miasma that is the telecom industry in Ireland outside of declaring a vested interest in it behalf of their constituents?

I'll declare my interest here by the way and state I do work for one of these entities. :D

Quackhart wrote: »
    Tis exactly that.
    As the SMP they should be required as happened with eircom to open up that last mile everybody used to bang on about. Fibre is for the most part soft managed at the network and core access side. So opening up that last copper mile to the fibre network could be quite easy. If someone had the cahones to ask, cajole, thinly disguise it under some e-ireland umbrella as development for the greater good of greystonia and all who sail in her..... ahem we might just get there quicklier.

I often wonder how much time our locally elected have spent investigating the miasma that is the telecom industry in Ireland outside of declaring a vested interest in it behalf of their constituents?

I'll declare my interest here by the way and state I do work for one of these entities. :D

If its Eircom I wouldn't say 'work' is the appropriate word :)

Advertisement