Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NooB bike question.

• 27-11-2012 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭

So I just got my learner permit last week and i'm going to start the IBT after Christmas.
    In the mean time im going to buy my own bike. I have wanted a bobber for about 5 years now, so my plan is to buy some kind of cruiser and transform it into a bobber myself.
    The question I have though, is what is the biggest cc cruiser i can drive with a learner permit? I have been looking at Virago 125 and honda shadow but i would prefer somthing bigger if possible.
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Good plan. You can have any bike you want (assuming you can get insurance) as long as you get it restricted. My brother is on a LP and has a Shadow 1100. Without restriction you should be able to get a lot of 400cc-600cc cruisers without having to restrict them on the power to weight rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭xseanx

cantdecide wrote: »
    Good plan. You can have any bike you want (assuming you can get insurance) as long as you get it restricted. My brother is on a LP and has a Shadow 1100. Without restriction you should be able to get a lot of 400cc-600cc cruisers without having to restrict them on the power to weight rule.

Thanks for the reply man. Are they many places in Dublin that would provide parts i.e handlebars, seats etc or would i be better off buying online?

xseanx wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply man. Are they many places in Dublin that would provide parts i.e handlebars, seats etc or would i be better off buying online?

I dare say you'll end up finding those answers as you go. A lot depends on the bike you end up with. When it comes to this kind of customisation, I'd say most of the fussing you will do will be on how much of the actual work you can do yourself and who can do the bits you can't. If you have to chop and change a lot to achieve what you want, you can upgrade and modify the less important bits as you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

xseanx wrote: »
    So I just got my learner permit last week and i'm going to start the IBT after Christmas.
    In the mean time im going to buy my own bike. I have wanted a bobber for about 5 years now, so my plan is to buy some kind of cruiser and transform it into a bobber myself.
    The question I have though, is what is the biggest cc cruiser i can drive with a learner permit? I have been looking at Virago 125 and honda shadow but i would prefer somthing bigger if possible.
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers.

If you're over 24 you can exchange your LP for an unrestricted one after the 13th Jan. Then you can ride what ever bike you can afford to insure

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

get as big a bike as ya can mate. if you get a 125 you may well be sick of it after a couple of months. so you will be pouring time and money into something you end up shifting. just my opinion

• Advertisement

Oh, and any customisation will prove to be a financially folly. If you have odd taste, you could end up stuck with the bike forever but hell, if it's what you want to do, what harm...

Yeah you'd be crazy to buy something "cheap" and pump a **** load of time/money into it when you can save yourself the hassle and buy one that's done,
    Dont rust into it either.
    Sit back and wait coz you wont be driving it till you have the IBT done anyway.Loads of stuff on donedeal.
    Dont get a 125/250cc either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

ive a shadow 750 on a learner permit no problems...

I was going to go the bobber route...but the bike is to clean to go at it.

now ive fallen in love with KTM's so ill be after one in the new year

now ive fallen in love with KTM's so ill be after one in the new year

:D
    Me too,
    want to get a super duke one the restriction is up(not for a long long long time)

• Advertisement

I had a Yamaha xv1600 during my two year restriction. I'm not sure if its legal under the new set up or not though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

What age are you OP? That will determine what you can and can't do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Wait it out until you've a proper bike and then put the work in.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Mr Motorcycle

You mention that you have your learner permit and will be doing the Ibt after christmas.
    The type of bike you are allowed to ride will be dictacted by your learner permit.
    For example if your under or over 24 will make a difference.
    You cant do your test for six months from the date your learner permit was issued and if you are under 24 you will be issued the new A2 learner permit and this will restrict your choice of bike 35 kws is the new power restriction but on a A2 permit the most powerful bike you can get is 96 bhp and get it restricted down to 47 bhp(35kws)

So just be careful when you buy your bike as under the new laws in 2013 you might not be able to ride it.:(

If your over 24 you will have to complete a module 5 ibt, 18 hrs and you would need to exchange your current learner permit (A RESTRICTED) for the new (A UNRESTRICTED) after 19 jan 2013

Advertisement