Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about rabbits and bonding - Help!

• 27-11-2012 7:42pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone here got more than one rabbit?

If you got the second one after the first one, how do you make sure they don't fight?

Did it take long before they could be left together?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

I have seven bunnies so hopefully can be of some help! Had a male lop first nd he was neutered when we got our female englishrabbit. We introduced them in a neutral space for 5-10 minute slots over a few days. As the lop is quite big we have them in separate cages. Our female Joon surprised us with 5 babies a month after we got her as she was in a rescue centre with male bunnies so we have kept them. We have two neutered males in one hutch, three baby females in another and finally the Mammy with a baby female in the third hutch. They absolutely love each others company, especially on chilly days where they snuggle into each other!! They also groom each other everyday! They can have little disagreements were they will nip at each other but they are generally fine once they have space away from each other so a large run would be essential! Sorry for the essay he he but if you need any more advice just ask :-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Thanks for that!

I have a spayed female, she's about 3 but I've had her 9 months. She was wild at first, but now she's settled and is absolutely lovely and friendly.

I decided she might be lonely, so I got a rescue male rabbit, but since it was all very fast, I just cordoned off an area with a modified baby gate, so they can see and smell each other, but can't get at each other (they met briefly, and she charged straight at him) and they're starting to settle a bit in each other's company. However, having him cordoned off isn't ideal, and I'm hoping I can get them used to each other so I can leave them together without fur flying!

They'll sniff briefly at each other through the bars, then one of them will run off, knocking over water dishes and bowls!

Awh fair play for getting her a friend! I have noticed a big difference in Benny since I got Joon. He seems much more content with the company so hopefully your two will be the same!

We leave ours out most of the day in their run and check on them ay least every fifteen minutes. Most of the time they are absolutely fine however the odd time there will be small chunks of hair on the ground fron a nip from one of the others but they seem to be well able to manage themselves.

I would definitely try introducing them in a small room like a utility or the bathroom. Make sure not to allow one corner the other or they may become aggressive. A lot of the time it's excitement and curiosity that can make them run at each other so it's their way off playing. My guys chase each other round all the time and one will always duck down and jump back in when they have been 'caught'!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Aw, I love the names! Very cute.

I might let them sniff at each other through the bars and get used to each other's company, then introduce them on neutral ground at the weekend, when I have time to supervise and jump in if things get rough!

I think Bun's been on her own so long, she's forgotten she's a rabbit and thinks she's people, she doesn't seem to know what the other thing behind the bars could be!

Awh thanks! Love the film so was easy enough to name them!
    That sounds like a good plan alright. Don't worry too much if they 'fight' a little. As far as I could see from our bunch of buns it's just their way of gettin to know each other and establishing who's boss but eventually they settle down into their routine!
    Best of luck with the introduction and fingers crossed it goes well for you and them of course!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭keaves

I know with gerbils you separate them like you have done with the baby gate so they can sniff and sus each other out, but then every 12 ish hours or so you swap them over into each others separate areas so they end up sleeping in a bed the other has slept in and eating and drinking and getting a proper scent off one another from the surroundings.

I done this for a week or so with my gerbils ( got second after a two months with the first) introduced them with no barriers in a neutral place and they're best buds now, they have tiffs sometimes but sure what animal doesn't. Might work with rabbits also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

We got our second bun when our first was 1, both lionheads. The second was a rescue baby and we were quite worried about how Bun1 would react but after a few 10 minute meetings she took to her and they play/cuddle/nap all over each other now.

Advertisement