Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Split line unbundling

Options
  • 27-11-2012 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I was on to you on this forum about 13 months ago inquiring about the possibility of getting my line removed from a pairgain splitter (so no broadband available to me!). Recently, my phone line broke and when the repair man came he mentioned that I could now have this done. So I rang customer care, and they told me that this isn't true.

Frankly, my experience with the reps on this forum are much better than my experience with the phone reps. I'm sure you'll appreciate how annoying and frustrating it is to see all of your neighbors with DSL broadband, including the ones much further from the exchange. I have been trying to get my phone line unbundled for years now.

If I can't still get my current line unbundled, would ordering a new line help my case?

I can of course PM my phone number and any relevant details.

Cheers for your help.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If the engineer says there is a spare pair and the computer says no then the engineer is the correct one. In many cases ( especially in rural areas) eircoms plant data is crap, they think they _might_ have a 25 pair when they actually have a 50 pair etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. But my telephone exchange isn't exactly rural, it's on the edge of Cork city! The telephone rep was more indicating that they just don't unbundle any lines at all.

Only large exchanges have LLU gear and permit unbundling ( your line connects to another operator switch in the exchange) are you on Douglas perhaps which has been part upgraded to VDSL. ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Schorpio wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I was on to you on this forum about 13 months ago inquiring about the possibility of getting my line removed from a pairgain splitter (so no broadband available to me!). Recently, my phone line broke and when the repair man came he mentioned that I could now have this done. So I rang customer care, and they told me that this isn't true.

Frankly, my experience with the reps on this forum are much better than my experience with the phone reps. I'm sure you'll appreciate how annoying and frustrating it is to see all of your neighbors with DSL broadband, including the ones much further from the exchange. I have been trying to get my phone line unbundled for years now.

If I can't still get my current line unbundled, would ordering a new line help my case?

I can of course PM my phone number and any relevant details.

Cheers for your help.
    Hi Schorpio

I have your details from last case and wil lspeak to local tech there. I presume number is same? ( ending in 17)
    Thanks for the support btw.
    Tony

Hi Schorpio

I have your details from last case and wil lspeak to local tech there. I presume number is same? ( ending in 17)
    Thanks for the support btw.
    Tony

Cheers Tony, yeah the number is the same. If you could look into it for me that'd be great.

The support is justified! I always find the personnel on this forum to be really helpful.

@Sponge Bob: no, not the Douglas exchange, the Churchfield one (which is a pretty large exchange!)

• Advertisement

Hey Tony,

I know it's a Friday evening - but any update on this?

Cheers!

Hey Tony,

I know it's a Friday evening - but any update on this?

Cheers!

Hi Schorpio
    no feedback as yet but I hope to have geo results next week and should have answer then.
    Apologies for delay but this does take a bit of time to arrange.
    Tony

Hi Schorpio
    no feedback as yet but I hope to have geo results next week and should have answer then.
    Apologies for delay but this does take a bit of time to arrange.
    Tony

Hi Schorpio

It seems tech was a little premature there. This cabling job has not been completed fully as yet. The technical manager is aware of your case and as soon as the cabling is complete we can move to appropriate line. This is likely to be early 2013.
    Not as fast as you would have liked I'm sure but we will push for this as fast as possible.
    Tony

Cheers for looking into this again for me Tony. I'll hold on a little while longer so.

Just out of curiosity, if someone builds a house next door to me and orders a phone line, would they be in the same situation I'm in, or would they have new cable laid for them asap?

Cheers for looking into this again for me Tony. I'll hold on a little while longer so.

Just out of curiosity, if someone builds a house next door to me and orders a phone line, would they be in the same situation I'm in, or would they have new cable laid for them asap?

My understanding in the case of this exchange Schorpio is that the new cable is to offer more capacity to the exchange. In this case it would appear that your neighbour would be on more or less the same timeframe as yourself, unless they were lucky enough to receive a very recently vacant port within exchange.
    Tony

• Advertisement

Tony,

Apologies for dragging up an old thread, but I thought it better to continue this rather than starting a new one.

After waiting and waiting for any sort of response for eircom, I decided to (finally) lodge a complaint with Comreg. After some correspondence with Comreg, eircom's response to my complaint arrived in the post today - and to be frank about it, I'm disgusted and annoyed by it.

This is the letter in it's entirety (with my personal details removed):
    9UBrY7Y.png

Firstly, I would not deem my telephone line service as adequate, especially considering that it is 2013, and I'm disappointed that a major telecommunications company does. (For the record, the line was installed in 2005, and it wasn't adequate back then either.) Secondly, I have been lobbying eircom for broadband for years (years!), and the best solution I get in this letter is to log an expression of interest or consider mobile broadband. Frankly, that's pathetic.

I live on the outskirts of Cork city, and I'm connected to a telephone exchange within a major city suburb. My neighbours have broadband. As I have already stated, I have been requesting broadband for years. I first used this forum over 18 months ago. You would swear that I lived in the middle of nowhere. It's deplorable treatment of a customer who has stuck with the company for many years, all the while paying the same line rental price as everyone else for less than half the service, and no actual line.

I am forwarding on this letter to Comreg, and I will be indicating to them (as I have here) how disappointed I am with it. I am also considering contacting my local TD. I have written to you guys on the forum because I view you as the most helpful and productive part of eircom's customer service. I hope you will agree with me that this situation has gone well beyond a joke, and that the response I received is wholly inadequate and unacceptable.

The fact that it is 2013 and I have yet to get any sort of fixed line data service into my home is frustrating and saddening. Anything you can do for me would be greatly appreciated.

Are you far from a VDSL cabinet?? see the map in my Sig.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It can be a tricky area because of the hills but there's a ton of wireless flying over your head up there, the ESB mast up on Kilmore Road is chocka, CIX is filling up fast and there's another (full) independent mast up there as far as I can remember.

I'd be ringing all of the wireless providers and asking if they can get to you. If one of them can, cancel the line and chuck the copper out the gate. If they can't, ask them if any of subscribers has LoS to your gaff, and if they seem the generous type? :-)

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Are you far from a VDSL cabinet?? see the map in my Sig.
    There's one about 2 km away (as the crow flies), and another about 4 km away.

dahamsta wrote: »
    It can be a tricky area because of the hills but there's a ton of wireless flying over your head up there, the ESB mast up on Kilmore Road is chocka, CIX is filling up fast and there's another (full) independent mast up there as far as I can remember.

I'd be ringing all of the wireless providers and asking if they can get to you. If one of them can, cancel the line and chuck the copper out the gate. If they can't, ask them if any of subscribers has LoS to your gaff, and if they seem the generous type? :-)

I rang some of them a few years ago, but no one seemed to be able to supply. I'll shoot off a few emails today and see if the situation has changed. I'm in a bit of a valley though, so it all depends on where they are transmitting from. I can see for miles in one direction, and almost nothing in the other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Tony,

Apologies for dragging up an old thread, but I thought it better to continue this rather than starting a new one.

After waiting and waiting for any sort of response for eircom, I decided to (finally) lodge a complaint with Comreg. After some correspondence with Comreg, eircom's response to my complaint arrived in the post today - and to be frank about it, I'm disgusted and annoyed by it.

This is the letter in it's entirety (with my personal details removed):

Firstly, I would not deem my telephone line service as adequate, especially considering that it is 2013, and I'm disappointed that a major telecommunications company does. (For the record, the line was installed in 2005, and it wasn't adequate back then either.) Secondly, I have been lobbying eircom for broadband for years (years!), and the best solution I get in this letter is to log an expression of interest or consider mobile broadband. Frankly, that's pathetic.

I live on the outskirts of Cork city, and I'm connected to a telephone exchange within a major city suburb. My neighbours have broadband. As I have already stated, I have been requesting broadband for years. I first used this forum over 18 months ago. You would swear that I lived in the middle of nowhere. It's deplorable treatment of a customer who has stuck with the company for many years, all the while paying the same line rental price as everyone else for less than half the service, and no actual line.

I am forwarding on this letter to Comreg, and I will be indicating to them (as I have here) how disappointed I am with it. I am also considering contacting my local TD. I have written to you guys on the forum because I view you as the most helpful and productive part of eircom's customer service. I hope you will agree with me that this situation has gone well beyond a joke, and that the response I received is wholly inadequate and unacceptable.

The fact that it is 2013 and I have yet to get any sort of fixed line data service into my home is frustrating and saddening. Anything you can do for me would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Schorpio

I have being going through the case history logged with us and I spoke to the manager who deals with the Comreg complaints logged to eircom.

I can assure you a copy of the complaint outcome is forwarded onto Comreg from eircom directly as per the process.

We escalated your case to the operations manager (head technician) for your area / exchange back in November 2012 to see if there was any available dedicated lines to remove you from a carrier to a fixed line in a effort to provide the broadband service.

As Tony advised this may be a possibility in "early 2013".

I understand given that you have been looking to try and get the broadband service with eircom since 2005. A follow up was sent back to the operations manger as an official complaint with the hope that eircom may be able to provide a dedicated line. I an afraid due to availability this is still not possible due to availability.

We are unable to give an indication as to when the situation may change.

I understand that the letter you received in response to your complaint may have come across as automated, I can assure you that we did follow up on the possibility of providing a dedicated line checking every possible avenue and escalated the case as much possible with no success.

I am very sorry I could not get back to you with better news.

Thanks, Mark

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I rang some of them a few years ago, but no one seemed to be able to supply. I'll shoot off a few emails today and see if the situation has changed. I'm in a bit of a valley though, so it all depends on where they are transmitting from. I can see for miles in one direction, and almost nothing in the other!
    There's been huge improvements in coverage in that period, it's definitely worth a go. Call Nova Networks and ask for Dave, tell him Adam Beecher sent you. Dave won't lead you up the garden path with half a service.

Hi all,

I know I'm digging up a VERY old thread here, but I'm reviewing my broadband at the moment, and wondering whether anything has changed over the past 4(!) years? Since I was unable to get eir broadband all those years ago, I've been using fixed wireless ever since.

However, I'm particularly interesting in FTTH (fibre to the home) - checkin my eircode on the fibre broadband checker confirms that I am within the confines of the Nation Broadband Plan (NBP). Checking the rollout map though, shows my address to be within a green shaded area - indicating that the fibre status is live? Is anyone at eir able to clarify my situation?

Given that no action was taken from my previous posts, I'm presuming that my (now dormant) fixed telephone line is still on a bundled carrier loop. Has the situation changed regarding these in the past few years (i.e. could this be unbundled now if requestd)?

Thanks all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Hi all,

I know I'm digging up a VERY old thread here, but I'm reviewing my broadband at the moment, and wondering whether anything has changed over the past 4(!) years? Since I was unable to get eir broadband all those years ago, I've been using fixed wireless ever since.

However, I'm particularly interesting in FTTH (fibre to the home) - checkin my eircode on the fibre broadband checker confirms that I am within the confines of the Nation Broadband Plan (NBP). Checking the rollout map though, shows my address to be within a green shaded area - indicating that the fibre status is live? Is anyone at eir able to clarify my situation?

Given that no action was taken from my previous posts, I'm presuming that my (now dormant) fixed telephone line is still on a bundled carrier loop. Has the situation changed regarding these in the past few years (i.e. could this be unbundled now if requestd)?

Thanks all.
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi Schorpio, [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for getting in touch with us today. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Feel free to PM me your details and I'll look into this for you. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks [/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Tracey [/font]

Thanks Tracey - PM sent.

Thanks Tracey - PM sent.
    Perfect, thanks.

I'll come back to you soon through PM's.

Thanks

Tracey 

• Advertisement

Hi Tracey,

Thanks for confirming that I am within the 'amber' area covered under the NBP. I was aware of this, but my query stems from the fact that on the Eir fibre rollout map (http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map) my address is shown as 'live' with an active fibre cabinet circa 1.5 miles away.

Whilst this does not necessarily mean I can get fibre to the home (FTTH), does this mean I should be able to get fast 'fibre' broadband in the form of FTTC (fibre to the cabinet)? Particularly with regards to the 'split' line I currently have?

Hi Tracey,

I don't mean to chase - i'm just wondering whether this is being looked at? Apologies - I appreciate you're busy! :-)

Thanks

Hi Tracey,

I don't mean to chase - i'm just wondering whether this is being looked at? Apologies - I appreciate you're busy! :-)

Thanks
    Apologies for the delays in getting back to you. 

Can you confirm that in saying a split line you mean a carrier line? 

I am unable to clarify this as it's not active with us. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Yes, apologies, I do mean a carrier line. If you reference Mark's post above (post #16, the last official response I got) he outlines where things stood before I gave up last time. (The post also references the fact that I've been trying to get fixed wired broadband from Eir since 2005!)

Is there anything I can do now? As I see it, I should be able to get FTTH, as the cabinet which supplies my house is fibre-enabled (unless I'm too far from it, which I don't think I am as some of my neighbors have wired broadband). However, if I reactivate my fixed line, i am concerned that the carrier line would be reactivated, leaving me exactly where I was all those years ago. I don't really want to commit to anything unless I am sure that the service can be delivered, or at the very least, I would not be tied into any service if it ultimately could not be delivered.

Yes, apologies, I do mean a carrier line. If you reference Mark's post above (post #16, the last official response I got) he outlines where things stood before I gave up last time. (The post also references the fact that I've been trying to get fixed wired broadband from Eir since 2005!)

Is there anything I can do now? As I see it, I should be able to get FTTH, as the cabinet which supplies my house is fibre-enabled (unless I'm too far from it, which I don't think I am as some of my neighbors have wired broadband). However, if I reactivate my fixed line, i am concerned that the carrier line would be reactivated, leaving me exactly where I was all those years ago. I don't really want to commit to anything unless I am sure that the service can be delivered, or at the very least, I would not be tied into any service if it ultimately could not be delivered.
    Thank you. 

As you fall under the state intervention we would be unable to provide you with a service I'm afraid. You can view all details on this using this link - http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/frequently-asked-questions/Pages/Amber.aspx

In relation to this carrier line, we would not be able to guarantee that if you reactive the line that this situation would have changed. It would be a small chance of the cable path being different from what it was, unfortunately.   

I'm sorry I'm not able to offer you any better news on this. I understand this is a frustrating situation for you.   

Thanks 

Tracey 

Thank you. 

As you fall under the state intervention we would be unable to provide you with a service I'm afraid. You can view all details on this using this link - http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/frequently-asked-questions/Pages/Amber.aspx

In relation to this carrier line, we would not be able to guarantee that if you reactive the line that this situation would have changed. It would be a small chance of the cable path being different from what it was, unfortunately.   

I'm sorry I'm not able to offer you any better news on this. I understand this is a frustrating situation for you.   

Thanks 

Tracey 

Thanks for the reply Tracey.

Is there any obligation on Eir regarding the provisions of new lines and carrier lines? For example, is the installation of carrier lines where new lines are requested still permitted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

Thank you. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Thanks for the reply Tracey.

Is there any obligation on Eir regarding the provisions of new lines and carrier lines? For example, is the installation of carrier lines where new lines are requested still permitted?
    Hi there,

Tracey is off today. In regards to this, we do have an obligation to provide everyone with a voice service. This can be a landline or FCS if there's no line available at a home. However, we aren't under any obligation to provide broadband to our customers so we carrier lines are still permitted I'm afraid.

I understand how inconvenient it must be not being able to receive broadband because you have a carrier line at your home and I am sorry that we can't do more for you here.

- Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You're mixed up:
    Cabinet = FTTC
    Exchange = FTTH

The carrier only applies to copper services (FTTC, old ADSL bb) and wont have an impact on any future FTTH (through the NBP in your case, through Rural Fibre Routes for others).

You mentioned in a previous post that you're 2km away from a VDSL cab. If this hasn't changed in the meantime, you're only going to get 7Mb down/1Mb up on FTTC, if anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement