Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to PhoneWatch?

Options
  • 27-11-2012 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

We've been with PhoneWatch for quite some time (going back to the 1990s) and were wondering are there any companies out there who could provide similar service?

It's a wireless system that uses the very large GE Security panel which replaced our original PhoneWatch panel.

Ideally, we'd like to switch to someone else without necessarily having to replace the system.

Just looking out for other options.

We'd like to continue with a monitoring service.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Any licensed company can provide you with the same monitoring services. Shop around, you will get better value as well. You can download the PSA register of licenced installers here.
    http://www.psa.gov.ie/Website/psa/psa.nsf/registervw?Openform

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Will anyone else be able to service / modify the system though? I don't really want to be stuck with a dud alarm in future years

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Some companies wont go near them.Most will, so shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Solair wrote: »
    Will anyone else be able to service / modify the system though? I don't really want to be stuck with a dud alarm in future years

Your alarm control panel was manufactured by GE.They are a company which quite a lot of us are very familiar with, having been using their equipment for years.

Phonewatch have a brilliant marketing machine, which works, its just a pity that they charge their customers so much to pay for this monster.

Phonewatch are just another alarm company thats all, shop around as Koolkid said, you will save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Solair wrote: »
    We've been with PhoneWatch for quite some time (going back to the 1990s) and were wondering are there any companies out there who could provide similar service?

It's a wireless system that uses the very large GE Security panel which replaced our original PhoneWatch panel.

Ideally, we'd like to switch to someone else without necessarily having to replace the system.

Just looking out for other options.

We'd like to continue with a monitoring service.

Sounds like you have a Concord installed with a 319 receiver to pick up the older sensors. It can be a pain for another company to take over this type of install as the sensors on the older system are old plus they take 2 batteries in most cases. It can work out as expensive if problems arise. No harm in getting prices though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 arnieguy01

altor wrote: »
    Sounds like you have a Concord installed with a 319 receiver to pick up the older sensors. It can be a pain for another company to take over this type of install as the sensors on the older system are old plus they take 2 batteries in most cases. It can work out as expensive if problems arise. No harm in getting prices though.

I had same problem, wanting away from phonewatch but no company would touch it. I discovered on phonewatchs OWN website that they have a network of nationwide installers. I rang the nearest guy(wont say who!) And he connected it to a different monitoring company and does the batteries etc cheaper than phonewatch! Go figure!!!

Advertisement