Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Storage

Options
  • 27-11-2012 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,
    Just wondering how many of you store your guns complete and how many remove Bolts from Rifle, forearm stock etc.

I use to store complete but have late removed forearm from shotty, Bolt from rifle and bolt/action port from the auto..

Just wondering am i alone....
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I reckon your alone in the regard that your telling guys how you store your firearms on a public forum.

Not the best thing to be doing in my opinion maybe I'm wrong.

Obviously the more parts your gun is in the harder it would be for anyone to find and get all parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

I reckon your alone in the regard that your telling guys how you store your firearms on a public forum.

Obviously the more parts your gun is in the harder it would be for anyone to find and get all parts.

In fairness there's lads posting picture's of there face's car reg's etc. Which in my opinion is of far more concern than asking people do they remove bolts etc . S:confused:

Your dead right that's my point how easy is it so. To sit in the back ground.

I'm sorry not trying to be rude or down grade your tread as its a very important question.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Obviously something like "I keep my bolt hidden in an old biscuit tin in the kitchen" would be foolish but general information like "I keep my bolt separate from the rest of the gun" is not dangerous to reveal.

In fact, it's useful to remind people to consider disabling their gun if it's appropriate for their particular circumstances.

In my case, I store the bolt separate from the rest of the rifle. It makes sense for me and it makes sense for a lot of the shooters I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Dalken

I wouldnt tell many I evan had a gun, and storage means F*ck all anyway, the sort of lads that are out to steal guns are not the types that are deterred by the prospect of a locked box, if they want guns bad enough they'll get them. I see some total flutes driving jeeps with stickers on them that advertise the fact that they are gun owners, are they CRACKED? ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I also keep the bolts in a separate place.
    I do have a heavy duty safe and house alarm but if Im away overnight I will leave the bolts with a trusted friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I keep the bolts separate and they are never left in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

zeissman wrote: »
    I also keep the bolts in a separate place.
    I do have a heavy duty safe and house alarm but if Im away overnight I will leave the bolts with a trusted friend.

You could be getting your "trusted friend" in a lot of trouble if they are caught with the bolts out of your guns.

They would technically be in possession of an unlicenced firearm seeing as the law doesn't distinguish between full guns and their parts. Even a part of a gun is considered a firearm under the legislation.

IRLConor wrote: »
    Obviously something like "I keep my bolt hidden in an old biscuit tin in the kitchen" would be foolish but general information like "I keep my bolt separate from the rest of the gun" is not dangerous to reveal.

In fact, it's useful to remind people to consider disabling their gun if it's appropriate for their particular circumstances.

In my case, I store the bolt separate from the rest of the rifle. It makes sense for me and it makes sense for a lot of the shooters I know.

In my opinion it doesn't matter were you keep it. if someone comes into your house there going to leave with it either way because they don't care what they have to do to get it. That's taking into account that they need it obviously. I suppose there will be very mixed views on this and very relavent opinions but safety first security second. And the little you say the better in my head maybe I'm wrong but guns do and always will get stolen why make it easyer for them.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

In my opinion it doesn't matter were you keep it. if someone comes into your house there going to leave with it either way because they don't care what they have to do to get it. That's taking into account that they need it obviously. I suppose there will be very mixed views on this and very relavent opinions but safety first security second.

True, but the point of splitting up the gun isn't to make it impossible for the thief. They might not spot that they're missing a bolt and leave without it but if they're smart and know what they're looking for then you've forced them to spend more time in your house which increases the chance they'll be caught. Either way it's a win.
    And the little you say the better in my head maybe I'm wrong but guns do and always will get stolen why make it easyer for them.

Telling other people about your exact circumstances makes it easier for thieves. Telling people about general good practice doesn't make a difference.

You're never going to be able to defend against the people who target you directly for your guns. They can get your guns off you much easier than via a break-in. The point of safes, alarms and breaking up your gun is to make it less likely that an opportunistic thief gets your guns.

• Advertisement

IRLConor wrote: »
    True, but the point of splitting up the gun isn't to make it impossible for the thief. They might not spot that they're missing a bolt and leave without it but if they're smart and know what they're looking for then you've forced them to spend more time in your house which increases the chance they'll be caught. Either way it's a win.

Telling other people about your exact circumstances makes it easier for thieves. Telling people about general good practice doesn't make a difference.

You're never going to be able to defend against the people who target you directly for your guns. They can get your guns off you much easier than via a break-in. The point of safes, alarms and breaking up your gun is to make it less likely that an opportunistic thief gets your guns.

Well said infairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭DogfoxCork

if the guns arent going to be used for a while i remove the bolts and store them elsewhere, ammo is stored in a separate safe anyway, if shotgun isnt going to be used for a while i stick a trigger lock on it. but to be honest all of them are used at least 3 or 4 times a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/CP%20Info%20Sheet%20-firearm%20security%20-%20English.pdf

Here's the official safe use, carriage and storage guidelines

Advertisement