Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could the property price register be manipulated?

Options
  • 27-11-2012 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

So does anyone think there will be a spike upwards for November (the paniced MIR buyers)? I dunno about this property price register.

What's to stop it being manipulated?

I know of some cases personally where I know it's pretty accurate. Other properties I KNOW (or was told) were sold earlier this year are not appearing on it.
    Also, what's to stop NAMA (or other vested interests) 'buying' a few high profile apts in D4 or D2 at inflated prices to try rise all boats?

Or should I buy a tin-foil hat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I reckon it's going to be manipulated down, lots of cash under the table next year to keep the household charge down.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

nukenelly wrote: »
    Or should I buy a tin-foil hat?
    This. :)

It would talk a vast amount of money to manipulate the register. The thing is, manipulating it for one month is a blip, three months is a blip, you would need to do it for at least 6 months to change attitudes. Now, why would NAMA or anyone else want to stockpile property in the present market?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

The actual selling price on the register is being taken for the sellers solicitor, which does not seem very impartial to me and leaves room for selling prices to be inflated.

Also the names of some houses that are being entered is a cause for confusion. Some are given Irish names even though the house was advertised under a different name or is know by the English name, also they give the house a weird address or a misspelling or even in some cases new names. This can hide the house somewhat.

Of course this might be all conspiracy, but it seems the governments main recovery plan is based on getting the property market back to where it was at in "the good times", so they would be willing to allow dubious practices and try anything to get us clambering over each other with fists of credit to line their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

In theory, if caught, under-declaring the price paid for a house will result in Revenue charging stamp duty at the "true" price and then charging the recipient Gift Tax on the difference so you'd be double screwed if caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

hardCopy wrote: »
    In theory, if caught, under-declaring the price paid for a house will result in Revenue charging stamp duty at the "true" price and then charging the recipient Gift Tax on the difference so you'd be double screwed if caught out.

Oh thats a beauty, they'll get the fu**ers cheating coming AND going. I like it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Malzeit

hardCopy wrote: »

Very true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

nukenelly wrote: »
    Also, what's to stop NAMA (or other vested interests) 'buying' a few high profile apts in D4 or D2 at inflated prices to try rise all boats?

Nothing. As mentioned in the register sticky thread, there are estates that have been bought up by mystery buyer(s) for the same price at the same time. The suspect buyer is NAMA.

Does anyone really think NAMA is paying the market value in these circumstances? Certainly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

Hi,

This may be of some use for those of you searching and trying to visualise the data on the property price register.

http://www.propprice.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Velcrow wrote: »
    Hi,

This may be of some use for those of you searching and trying to visualise the data on the property price register.

That is very good :) However the street view maps are way off for the properties I just looked at quickly (in Co.Clare) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

Yes @ mel.b, the geolocation is hit & miss but the keyword search and charts work well.

It would be great of the source data included a lat & lng but I'm grateful that we have the price data at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Velcrow wrote: »
    Hi,

Best I've seen. Great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Surely the property register should reference the portfolio number, which is linked to an exact site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

If you zoom in too much, you lose the markings(prices as dots) on the map.

Advertisement