Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Years 2012

Options
  • 13-11-2011 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi there. Just wondering what to do for new years eve this year-Does anyone know of anywhere fun or different in Galway??? The Radisson looks good as there are dance lessons and dinner but we are single girls in our late 20's and this seems as if it is a couples affair!! I would appreciate some advice?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

some single girls in the radisson would be nice, as i work there and at lest will have the chance to flirt with others, never had a new years out yet and i get very envious around then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 elle19

Like your style Empacher, but some impartial advice needed! 4 girls and an on duty bar man....not sure if it makes for the best night.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

New Year's Eve 2012 is thirteen months away. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

My sister is getting married on New Years Eve so my party is sorted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭cabaret

Hi guys, planning to hit Galway for New Years and was wondering if anyone knows of a good hotel that does a New Year's Eve package with dinner and entertainment??? Any help would be much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

cabaret wrote: »
    Hi guys, planning to hit Galway for New Years and was wondering if anyone knows of a good hotel that does a New Year's Eve package with dinner and entertainment??? Any help would be much appreciated
    Park House

Any opinions on "The House Hotel"????

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's nice.

cabaret wrote: »
    Any opinions on "The House Hotel"????
    Dont like it, full of 30/40somethings who think its 'cool' to be seen there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

What age group are you? Are you travelling with a partner or a group of friends?

If you are 35+, then any if the following would be good:
    The Ardilaun
    The Salthill Hotel
    The Radisson Blu

I f you are looking for a place just to sleep and get a fry up in the morning after a night in The Front Door or The Quays, then check in to The Skeffington Arms or The Victroia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It's September, for Christ's sake!
    The Hallowe'en merchandise isn't even in the shops yet!

Ficheall wrote: »
    Eh, you havent been in many shops lately then i assume.

I'm 26 and I am going with a friend. We are looking for entertainment in the hotel so we won't have to leave...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh, it's much too early to say what will happen at New Years already.
    By googling www.google.ie/search?q=New+Years+Eve+Galway
    you can find out what has been going on the last years and maybe ring the hotels that sounds good to see if they have made plans for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

The house hotel is a lovely classy boutique hotel and would be perfect for a new years eve stay over. its right in the heart of town. Its a lovely hotel, and I would highly recommend it - (although it is a bit pricier than the other hotels in the area,i.e. Jurys, Spanish Arch, Harbour), but if you are looking for a lovely weekend away, make sure to check out the House Hotel. There is no "I'm so cool" vibe at all to the place - no snobbiness about the place at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

The House Hotel ticks all your boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Ficheall wrote: »

no, but the Christmas stuff is in Brown Thomas. :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Myself and a group of friends are planning to head over to Galway for New Years Eve and we were wondering if it was a decent enough spot to go for that particular time of year?

I was looking for a few pointers like what are the best pubs or clubs to go to, are most places ticket only events, do the prices get hiked up much, what are the bouncers like in regards to people from out of town, are there queues everywhere, etc, etc.

Also would it better to stay close to Eyres Square or stay down in Salthill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Salthill is dead these past few years since the Warwick closed its doors. There are a few okay pubs (Lohans, Cottage etc) but your best bet is to go into town.
    The Skeff on Eyre Sq is always good for New Years. Check out if you need tickets though. You could also head down Quay Street and go into The Quays or Buskers on Cross St or King's Head on High St.
    My choice would be the Skeff on Eyre Sq though for New Yrs Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I'd avoid Eyre Square to be honest. It's usually like a war zone on the big nights. You don't want to spend your night looking at gangs of drunken teenagers shouting and falling around the place.

• Advertisement

I've checked online but nowhere seems to be advertising their New Years Eve events yet so I'm none the wiser in regards to tickets, prices, etc.

Can tickets be pre-purchased or are they sold on a first come first served basis on the night? I've no problem buying tickets to get into places but I don't particularly want to stand in a long queue to get in somewhere.

We'd be going from Friday the 29th until Tuesday the 1st, so we'll be definitely be checking out bars and microbreweries like The Cottage, Oslo, Salt House, Krcma-Slavic House, Bierhaus, etc.,

The Skeff/Karma, Halo, Club K, etc would be the places that we'd probably be looking to go on New Years..........I think.

Btw I've never been to any of these places I'm just going what I've seen on this website :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

If you get a chance, have a few drinks in O'Connell's on Eyre Square, it's like drinking in your granny's house! Lovely little pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

was in the Oslo last year for new years. was good enough craic albeit not rammed busy (but that's what we were looking for). did another new years in massimos which was really busy also good. neither were ticketed. did the quays another year, also good. doesn't really matter where you go as long as you've a good crowd with you. +1 for o Cornells, good location too. as someone else mentioned eyre square can be crazy on the big nights..but then ye might be lookin for that, can be savage craic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Teenagers don't drink in the Skeff. They tend to go towards the other end of the square...more towards Coyotes,Foxes,Fibbers.

I've always found the Skeff great and it's at the top almost of Eyre Sq. Club K wouldn't be my choice. I would aim to go to either Karma or preferably Halo if I was in your shoes. However on NYE the Skeff will stay open as a late bar and most people will stay in the pub.

O'Connell's on Eyre Square looks like a little gem of a pub, we'll definitely be checking that out.

We'll try Halo, Karma & The Skeff in that order for NYE, depending on the availability of tickets.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

NYE in galway is all about getting a good spot. As you'll be with your mates you will have a good night no matter where you are. Everywhere will be super busy if i were you I'd pick one or two pubs and leave it at that and anywhere you are staying for the night be in before 10. O Connells for the warm up is definitely the way to go mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

I've been to the Crane the past few new years and it's always been brilliant, good music, great graic, good drink, though crammed to the rafters....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 flower bud

hi myself and my hubby are coming to galway for new years eve. we are both in our late 40s. is there any good places for us to go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭primrose_lily

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is anything fun happening around the city for New Years Eve.
    A few of the girls and myself want to head out but not sure where to go as of yet?
    Any suggestions??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Lorikeet111

For new years the Skeff is always very good plus you can leave and head to Karma/Halo.

I saw someone said maybe Club K. Best advice stay away. Loads of great pubs new years and from what i hear Halo night club is pay at the door new years.

99% of the pubs will be free in and no tickets. Halo about 15 euro id say

Advertisement