Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wifi on router not working

Options
  • 27-11-2012 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

As the title implies i have a router here that the wifi appears to have packed in on. The router is a Linksys wag120n- everything else is working fine (i have homeplugs for everything) but the wifi has stopped allowing ANYTHING to connect. I have tried with 2 iphones, an ipad, a lumia 610, an arnovo tablet and my mate tried with his windows phone- the network is showing up, but when one tries to connect it says the connection isn't possible.

I had it set up with WPA-Mixed, changed that to WPA-Personal, then to WEP, and finally to no security just to try, same story. I have flashed it to the latest firmware and I have changed the channels etc as per guides on eHow and still nothing. Is it time for a new router or is there anything else i can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

foxerv1 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

As the title implies i have a router here that the wifi appears to have packed in on. The router is a Linksys wag120n- everything else is working fine (i have homeplugs for everything) but the wifi has stopped allowing ANYTHING to connect. I have tried with 2 iphones, an ipad, a lumia 610, an arnovo tablet and my mate tried with his windows phone- the network is showing up, but when one tries to connect it says the connection isn't possible.

I had it set up with WPA-Mixed, changed that to WPA-Personal, then to WEP, and finally to no security just to try, same story. I have flashed it to the latest firmware and I have changed the channels etc as per guides on eHow and still nothing. Is it time for a new router or is there anything else i can do?

did you set it to channel 13? some wifi cards & phones have trouble with that channel

set it to 11 and try it then

my htc desire hd wont connect when my router is set to channel 13 but connects when set to channel 11

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

did you set it to channel 13? some wifi cards & phones have trouble with that channel

set it to 11 and try it then

my htc desire hd wont connect when my router is set to channel 13 but connects when set to channel 11

Set to channel 11 alright- after some more fiddling and power cycling I have now been able to connect but nothing is working on either iPhone-.i can not perform a speedtest, watch YouTube videos, load Facebook etc.

Set to channel 11 alright- after some more fiddling and power cycling I have now been able to connect but nothing is working on either iPhone-.i can not perform a speedtest, watch YouTube videos, load Facebook etc.

Just an addendum- it's working now but a speedtest via wifi gives me 121ms ping, 1.02dl and 0.43ul. My speedtest via homeplug on my pc gives me .45ms ping, 10.56dl and 0.56ul.

Just an addendum- it's working now but a speedtest via wifi gives me 121ms ping, 1.02dl and 0.43ul. My speedtest via homeplug on my pc gives me .45ms ping, 10.56dl and 0.56ul.

wifi will always be slower than being hard wired. do you have a cordless phone near the router? if so move it away.... some cordless phones will interfere with the wifi signal

also on your iphone go into the wifi selection and delete the entry to your router then restart the iphone and let it detect the wifi again and enter your wifi password as it may be trying to connect using an old cached password

wifi will always be slower than being hard wired. do you have a cordless phone near the router? if so move it away.... some cordless phones will interfere with the wifi signal

also on your iphone go into the wifi selection and delete the entry to your router then restart the iphone and let it detect the wifi again and enter your wifi password as it may be trying to connect using an old cached password

As luck would have it it just randomly started working again last night- will keep an eye on it to see what circumstances if any make it drop off again.

• Advertisement

Just to keep the information flowing the set up is as follows- the router is plugged directly into the phone socket, I have a cable from wan1 going to the Passthrough homeplug which also has the router plugged into it. Wan2 is going to an Xbox and wan3 to the sky+ box. All of this is done behind the tv.

It seems to drop off slightly when the tv is on and completely drop off when everything else is powered on green. I assume there will be some sort of rf interference from the various appliances but a complete drop off has me baffled?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Just to keep the information flowing the set up is as follows- the router is plugged directly into the phone socket, I have a cable from wan1 going to the Passthrough homeplug which also has the router plugged into it. Wan2 is going to an Xbox and wan3 to the sky+ box. All of this is done behind the tv.

It seems to drop off slightly when the tv is on and completely drop off when everything else is powered on green. I assume there will be some sort of rf interference from the various appliances but a complete drop off has me baffled?

Could you unplug the Sky box and see if things improve? Those things are notorious for causing DSL connection problems, so it may be causing some sort of issue with the router

Nick

is the homeplug plugged directly into the wall or via socket extension? it should be directly in the wall socket and never via a socket gang lead. also the gang lead should have a surge protector on it

the router should have a dsl filter (double socket one) on it
    phone point on wall > dual socket dsl filter > cable from the PC socket on the dual filter to router

the skybox should plug into the phone socket on the dsl filter

any phones connected should have a single port dsl filter on each one (if using a multi set cordless phone pack only the master base unit needs to be connected to the single port dsl filter)

is the homeplug plugged directly into the wall or via socket extension? it should be directly in the wall socket and never via a socket gang lead. also the gang lead should have a surge protector on it
    Aye, direct into the wall. I do have everything else plugged into an extension lead but that does have a surge protector.

Aye, direct into the wall. I do have everything else plugged into an extension lead but that does have a surge protector.

thats probably what is causing interference so... try using a gang lead with a surge protector

oh do you use a digi sender on that skybox?

wireless routers operate on 2.4Ghz frequency

if you do have a digi sender for the sky box and it too operates on the 2.4Ghz frequency range it will interfere with the wifi signal and vice versa.

you can buy digi senders that operate on the 5Ghz frequency range and they should not interfere with your wireless router

• Advertisement

thats probably what is causing interference so... try using a gang lead with a surge protector

oh do you use a digi sender on that skybox?

wireless routers operate on 2.4Ghz frequency

if you do have a digi sender for the sky box and it too operates on the 2.4Ghz frequency range it will interfere with the wifi signal and vice versa.

you can buy digi senders that operate on the 5Ghz frequency range and they should not interfere with your wireless router

I think I misquoted myself, it is an office surge protected extension lead from belkin so in theory it should be fine.

I don't use a digi sender at all, everything is cabled.

The wireless appears to be working now so maybe it was just a hiccup, still I'd prefer to know what caused the drop off.

Advertisement