Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

have a rat/draught

• 27-11-2012 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Not sure if right place mods feel free to move. I have rats under my kitchen floor its a concrete floor with 35mm battens, ply and tiles with 3 steps down to same construction except finished with solid wood. There is a small dead space between the two where I cut an access panel and can see droppings etc and there is a gale coming out of it but for the life of me I cannot find where the draught ( and I assume the rat) is coming in.I dont want to rip up floors without being sure where the problem is. I would have thought such a draught would have been obvious but outside is well sealed. Anyone have advice on what my options are, thermal imaging camera to show cold spot, catch rat alive and fit gps tracker(joke) its driving me crazy
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

barfold wrote: »
    Not sure if right place mods feel free to move. I have rats under my kitchen floor its a concrete floor with 35mm battens, ply and tiles with 3 steps down to same construction except finished with solid wood. There is a small dead space between the two where I cut an access panel and can see droppings etc and there is a gale coming out of it but for the life of me I cannot find where the draught ( and I assume the rat) is coming in.I dont want to rip up floors without being sure where the problem is. I would have thought such a draught would have been obvious but outside is well sealed. Anyone have advice on what my options are, thermal imaging camera to show cold spot, catch rat alive and fit gps tracker(joke) its driving me crazy
    Thanks

If you can post some pics it might help with getting replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

Use smoke. Smoke bombs or similar should track down where the inlet is coming from. Put smoke in the hole and pressurise with a compressor or put smoke outside and look for draw inwards. Cheapest and quickest way I reckon. My guess would be under door kicker. Concrete would be poured to edge, but cavity space might be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 barfold

Will try to get some pics up thanks for tje suggestions, any idea where to buy those smoke bombs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

barfold wrote: »
    Will try to get some pics up thanks for tje suggestions, any idea where to buy those smoke bombs

A joke shop maybe.

Advertisement