Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for business name

Options
  • 27-11-2012 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi everyone, looking for your help

been trying to come up with a catchy name for a motor factors which i intend to open selling both car and truck parts. Any ideas??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

At the risk of sounding boring, I think when it comes to these types of businesses, very to the point names work great. A great example is "Mechanic On Duty"...100% communicative, inviting and to the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Car & Truck Factorz
    Car & Commercial Factorz
    Factorz Car etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Car & Truck Factorz
    Car & Commercial Factorz
    Factorz Car etc

whats with the Z's ???? :confused: looks dumbass

MidlandsM wrote: »
    whats with the Z's ???? :confused: looks dumbass

To you clearly. It is a way of using a generic name as a brand. It is a marketing thing and should capable of being used to get a Register Business Name and thus a .ie domain name for a website.
    Your own suggestion was far superior.

;)

To you clearly. It is a way of using a generic name as a brand. It is a marketing thing and should capable of being used to get a Register Business Name and thus a .ie domain name for a website.

;)

ZZZZZZ.......put you to sleep ..........lol:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

To you clearly.
    To me too and perhaps to most of the target audience for the website. This isn't downtown Brooklyn and the customers are unlikely to be in "da hood". The trick with good domain names is that they are memorable, communicable and protectable. That's it in a nutshell.

The audience/market has to be able to remember the domain name. It has to be simple and effective. It has to use existing ideas so that the customers don't have too many problems in typing it without an advert in front of them.

It has to pass the telephone test. It should be immediately recognisable when spoken out loud. The 'z' on the end means that it would be confused with an 's' and unless you own the domain ending in 's', that's a lost customer.

It has to be protectable with a trademark in that it should be as unique as possible. It should be registered in both .ie, .com and .eu if possible.
    It is a way of using a generic name as a brand.
    Generic names as brands suck. They cost a lot of money to get into the market and they cost a lot of money to protect. And unless you have a lot of money to promote them, people don't remember them as they are just the noise of modern day living.
    It is a marketing thing and should capable of being used to get a Register Business Name and thus a .ie domain name for a website.
    You can get a .ie registration for just about any name as long as it is not a protected geographical name (city or town name) or an obscene name.

Regards...jmcc

been trying to come up with a catchy name for a motor factors which i intend to open selling both car and truck parts. Any ideas??

Thanks in advance
    Get a blank sheet of paper and write down the key words associated with the business and also, if you have any history in the business, your surname or first name. Play with the order of words or different combinations.

You could go for the surname + business name and build it as a brand but that might take time.

Regards...jmcc

Sam Spudz, would never work, nor DEALZ the largest chain of bargain stores, or WHEELZ the UK vehicle wheel chain for that matter. To get a .ie domain name you generally need a RBN or Company name or brand. Plenty of threads here with first class advice on the topic.
    I was suggesting that a generic name deliberately mis- spelled is a way to get a recognisable but unique name. The name does not need to be capable of being trademarked as was erroneously stated in one post. As to the telephone test, there must be some rather strange pronouciations in at least one part of this isle.

Opinions are just that, along with suggestions and everyone is entitled to theirs. What they are not entitled to do is portray opinions as facts. Not an original statement but nonetheless valid.

I hope the OP does get something that he likes and will meet all the criteria required for his new venture.

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 19 wexfordbuild

Still haven't one that I like, I'm hoping to come up with something phone friendly and not with a local or personal slant to it,
    I like (but unfortunately they are all in use)
    Parts Galore, Parts warehouse, Motorparts,
    a name that rolls off the tongue so to speak.

Thanks again for all your suggestions,all helps.

how about SAMZ DEALZZZ ON PARTZZZZZZZZZZZ in WEXZZZ ..?? lol........

• Advertisement

Sam Spudz, would never work,
    Target markets - I guess you missed that part. Sam Spudz as a brand pre-dates the rise of the web.
    nor DEALZ the largest chain of bargain stores, or WHEELZ the UK vehicle wheel chain for that matter.
    The .co.uk of Wheelz is a dead website. The com is a large US car sharing site. Dealz (Poundland) is carefully targeted at its market (low cost, high volume). If you notice, it is trademarked.
    To get a .ie domain name you generally need a RBN or Company name or brand. Plenty of threads here with first class advice on the topic.
    I am familiar with .ie domains and I even have a few.
    I was suggesting that a generic name deliberately mis- spelled is a way to get a recognisable but unique name.
    The problem with this is that people auto-correct the spelling. It is the equivalent of a domain name hack where the extension forms part of the brand. They don't generally work well because they require the user to think and the user to be familiar with the idea and not take the entire phrase and add a .ie or .com to the end.
    The name does not need to be capable of being trademarked as was erroneously stated in one post.
    If the business grows, it might be useful.
    As to the telephone test, there must be some rather strange pronouciations in at least one part of this isle.
    The phonetic similarity of the letter 'z' at the end of a word and the letter 's' is the reason why it is used. There was a similar effect when Flickr, the photo sharing site was bought by Yahoo - a lot of *r type domains that dropped the 'e' were registered but Flickr also had the flicker.com domain.

When people have to spell out a business name over the phone, it makes the business look amateurish. In branding terms, a motor factor's business would be trying to convey the ideas of quality, reliability and value. It would not be trying to convey the idea that it is a chop shop. Rolls Royce is not spelled "Rollz Royz".
    Opinions are just that, along with suggestions and everyone is entitled to theirs. What they are not entitled to do is portray opinions as facts. Not an original statement but nonetheless valid.
    I've seen more domain name mistakes than most people here and I've even made a few. When it comes to domain names, I am speaking from a position of some expertise.

Regards...jmcc

I only have 19 domain names with sales for 4 trademarked branded products in 13 countries so I bow to your superior knowledge.

Cheers

Peter

I only have 19 domain names with sales for 4 trademarked branded products in 13 countries so I bow to your superior knowledge.
    Just to put it in some context - I have over 100 domain names but more importantly, I run one of the largest domain name tracking sites on the web tracking the new registrations, drops and movements of over 160 million domains each month and providing the history of domain names back to 2000. The site generally serves between 200K and 300K domain related webpages each day. I've seen the DotCom bubble and its aftermath and the mini fads in the domain business since then. In that time, over 150 million .com domains would have been dropped and never reregistered. Other TLDs also have domains that were dropped and never reregistered. So as I said, I do have some expertise in the area. Sorry if I appear to be a bit abrasive when talking about domain names and branding but it is one area in which I work each day and see people making the same mistakes over and over again.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Keeping it simple how about "Wexford Motor Parts"?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ChicaneAuto

justryan wrote: »

100% agree. My shop was called Chicane Auto Parts.
    Now while it was catchy and short, it alienated a lot of locals who thought it was run by foreigners which is sad in this day and age.
    An online trade name could work down the line but trust me, your Market will be mainly local to start with so make it painfully obvious what you do, also if you have a proprietary name like j.l motor factors or something people will think your well established which is a bonus.

Also please, please for the sake of your business don't feel you must give credit, I know you may be very experienced dealing with the trade but when it's your money it's different. They will eventually owe you a lot of money if they can get away with it, they will come to you when the bill is to high in the competitors shop and back again. Try to be the one local place that they know that whenever they are stuck for parts that they can get parts no matter how much they owe others, in the long run you will have a happier life.
    I wish you the very best of luck in a business that is genuinely very rewarding when it works, and fair play opening up in the current climate. Now if only you knew somebody who had some surplus, fresh liquidation stock going cheap ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

The Best Part - motor factors
    Wang Car Parts - O and trucks as well.
    Wing Wong Mirror - and other motor parts.
    Performance Autoparts.
    Pistonheads(a UK website)
    Fastlane Autoparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

justryan wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

"Southeast Auto Parts"

Lets the customer know that you are a local business but also conveys the impression that you may be part of a larger chain which may, even subconsciously lend itself to creating an element of trust in the customers mind.
    Your prospective customers see the new shopfront and automatically assume that other branches exist in other parts of the region.

Of course, this strategy would also lend itself to expansion further down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

;)

It's very annoying and very bad practice as you have to constantly inform and remind people there's a 'Z' there. Otherwise they'll end on the wrong website or looking up the wrong address and phone number in a phone book.

Wexfordbuild, I understood, from the information given in your original post, you are looking to start a local bricks and mortar motor factors businesses, not another Micks Garage web based business. While you may well want a website, any website is only a single element of such a business. If I am correct, this thread has ended up focussing on the web element to a disproportionate degree.

If you look at some of the multiple outlet Dublin factors, you have the Tohills with Rathgar and Southside, Derek Smith with Ashgrove ( his first location) etc etc. if I am looking for parts, I want a local guy and I have to agree with some of the other posters, locality based names give a local feel and suggest a fast local service. A clean well designed logo/brand can give you all you are looking for and importantly, portray a high level of professionalism. This brand will be more important than the actual name itself. The price/quality/service that you deliver will define the esteem in which your brand is held by your customers. Your promotion of the brand should promise customer benefits that are delivered.

My message is spend a few quid on a decent graphic designer and use your chosen design on your signage/vans/stationery/website etc. You could even get a few design students to have a go for the price of a few pints, if funds are that tight. They are always keen to get something in their portfolio that has actually been used commercially.
    I wish you every success in your new venture.

Cheers

Peter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Parts 4 U? Car Parts 'r' Us?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Wexfordbuild, I understood, from the information given in your original post, you are looking to start a local bricks and mortar motor factors businesses, not another Micks Garage web based business. While you may well want a website, any website is only a single element of such a business. If I am correct, this thread has ended up focussing on the web element to a disproportionate degree.

If you look at some of the multiple outlet Dublin factors, you have the Tohills with Rathgar and Southside, Derek Smith with Ashgrove ( his first location) etc etc. if I am looking for parts, I want a local guy and I have to agree with some of the other posters, locality based names give a local feel and suggest a fast local service. A clean well designed logo/brand can give you all you are looking for and importantly, portray a high level of professionalism. This brand will be more important than the actual name itself. The price/quality/service that you deliver will define the esteem in which your brand is held by your customers. Your promotion of the brand should promise customer benefits that are delivered.

My message is spend a few quid on a decent graphic designer and use your chosen design on your signage/vans/stationery/website etc. You could even get a few design students to have a go for the price of a few pints, if funds are that tight. They are always keen to get something in their portfolio that has actually been used commercially.
    I wish you every success in your new venture.

Cheers

Peter

Have a look at http://fiverr.com/ ,Graphic designers will design you a logo for $5.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 wexfordbuild

Thanks very much everyone for your comments and ideas, all taken aboard. Still havnt thought of a name that i am happy with. I disagree with the "localisation" of the name. It gives the whole small town, family run (small = little buying power, higher prices) business feel about it. i believe makes advertising and creating a brand that bit harder.
    Names i would have liked but however are gone are
    Parts Galore
    Parts Warehouse
    Parts Depot
    Top Part
    Motorparts
    Partsworld etc

all nice names for telephone answering, easy to remember, etc etc. Also any one could be part of a chain.

anyway , anyone else with a suggestion id really appreciate it.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Every Part..

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ChicaneAuto

In Ireland the whole buying power meaning low prices is actually not applicable.
    A standard filter like an OC295 would be around €5 retail in any independent motor factors, in Halfords, expect to pay €18-€24. anyway I understand your will to create a brand.
    Actually just writing this port has made me think about Halfords, the name is synonymous with car parts and accessories even though it doesnt allude to it at all.
    In my opinion, unless you are going to aggressively advertise nationally, tv/ radio ads, billboards. Then your market will be local for a very long time, don't fight it, there's millions to be made out of a medium sized town and it's hinterland.
    I still think it's best to identify with your potential customers.
    If your competition is say, "Paddy O' Shaughnassy Car Parts" and your business is like "Über Parts Gmbh" I reckon there'd be a bit of Ill feeling towards you, and don't think your competition won't play that up.
    The Rural Irish are a clannish crowd and don't like change I've found.
    If your well known locally play it up, all the better if you've worked for a competitor in the locality.

How about Partex

Or a compromise, if your surname is Ryan for example "Ryan's Partex"

Or "James Ryan Partex"

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Gers_punto

Wexford car and truck parts
    Wexford motoring supplies

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Ignition Systems
    Emissions Systems
    Electrical Systems
    Fuel Systems
    Transmission Systems
    Audio Systems
    SatNav Systems

so

Wexford Automotive Systems (on the phone "Hello, Wexford Automotive")

Automotive Systems Wexford (as above)

sounds bigger than it will be at the start (maybe)

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

Thanks in advance

Keep it Simple....

Auto Parts

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

Thanks very much everyone for your comments and ideas, all taken aboard. Still havnt thought of a name that i am happy with. I disagree with the "localisation" of the name. It gives the whole small town, family run (small = little buying power, higher prices) business feel about it. i believe makes advertising and creating a brand that bit harder.
    Names i would have liked but however are gone are
    Parts Galore
    Parts Warehouse
    Parts Depot
    Top Part
    Motorparts
    Partsworld etc

all nice names for telephone answering, easy to remember, etc etc. Also any one could be part of a chain.

anyway , anyone else with a suggestion id really appreciate it.

Cheers.
    Can you use one of these names and prefix it with Irish or Leinster or something similar?
    Leinster Parts Depot or The Irish Parts Depot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

' Wexfarts Parts '

Advertisement