Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a fishing rod

Options
  • 27-11-2012 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭

Hi people, I would be very grateful for your help. My son,he's only 8, is asking santy for a fishing rod and i am totally clueless on the subject. Could any fishing enthuasists out there please tell me of any shops around Leixlip,Maynooth,Celbridge where i could buy one,what could i expect to pay for a starter rod (not a toy one) and is there anywhere i could send him to learn the basics. Thanks in advance for any advice at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 land lover

What type of fishing is he interested in,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Hi people, I would be very grateful for your help. My son,he's only 8, is asking santy for a fishing rod and i am totally clueless on the subject. Could any fishing enthuasists out there please tell me of any shops around Leixlip,Maynooth,Celbridge where i could buy one,what could i expect to pay for a starter rod (not a toy one) and is there anywhere i could send him to learn the basics. Thanks in advance for any advice at all.

Im not in that area but you could try and google a local fishing club even if its sea fishing / angling for lessons as most people fish both sea and lakes/rivers they might know who to contact. they might point you in the direction of getting the gear also. Freshwater would be a good place to start (nearby river / lake) its not that hard to be honest but I guess a helping hand does not hurt.

Plenty of content online to get you started.

Shakespeare stuff seems to be good
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shakespeare-Zeta-Spinning-Rod-Black/dp/B004AHLTN6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1354054934&sr=8-5

I dont know if you shop online or even if your not sure on the rod equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

8yr old shouldnt be going fishing on his own, so I guess you should buy 2 rods. search google for canal fishing / float fishing. plenty of spots in your area, but at that age he needs a late teen or adult to go with him.

You will love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Thanks for the speedy reply folks. I will take your suggestions Stephen,many thanks. Mech1, don't worry he won't be unaccompanied, i'm not that clueless ! Regarding the type of fishing,a valid question i suppose, the idea is just to be able to cast off into lake/river and reel in an old boot or in his imagination a shark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

There's a good fishing shop on the Celbridge side of the Salmon Leap canoe club, check the link below for info.

http://cghobbies.goldenpages.ie/ms/ms/cg-hobbies-contact-us-kildare/ms-90043444-p-3/

They will give you any amount of advice and maybe even a cuppa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

You wont gi wrong if you talk to Janes or Paddy in Mc Carthys Prosperous, brilliant fishing & shooting department, & great lads as they fish and have kids themselves.Good cash discounts also.

That's brilliant Joe & Liffy,exactly what i need. Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

You could also look into fishing clubs. They hold competitions for people of all ages and i'm sure they don't mind beginners!

University of youtube to get the basics though :D

Thank for that Gone Drinking. Wouldn't have thought of utube. Will have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

If you contact Pat Cleere of Cleers In Clane he gives fishing lessons, lovley patient gent, not expensive, I learned to fly fish with him, he gives kids & group lessons. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement