Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a recently felled Maple tree for firewood?

Options
  • 28-11-2012 12:02am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

How long should you wait to use maple tree trunks and large branches as firewood.

The tree was recently felled/taken down.

When the trunk and branches are chopped up for firewood,how long should it take,before the logs can be used in a stove??

Does the sap have to completely dry out of the tree,in order for it to be used as firewood??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭looksee

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

Paddy, I tend to wait at least 6 months for fresh wood to dry out. What I am cutting now (eucalyptus mostly) I will burn next autumn. I tend to leave it out in the open initially and then put it under some sort of shelter for the last month or so. If the branches/logs are not very thick it would be a shorter period or time. It is really not worth moving too quickly as there is nothing sadder than a smoky fire with green wood smoldering in it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you burn 'green' wood, you get half the heat out of them as compared to seasoned wood. this is because a lot of the heat is taken up by boiling the water off.
    also, you run the risk of creosote buildup in your flue if you use a stove.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The branches are about 4-5 inches thick

The trunk is around 12 inches thick.

Tree was only felled last week.

So would you leave out in the open for a while,and then transfer the trunk/logs into a shed or garage to dry out??

Thanks.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, and split the logs now into the size they will be going into the fire, will help them season more quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

yep, and split the logs now into the size they will be going into the fire, will help them season more quickly.

Thankyou for the advice.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

usually at least a year to season wood, if not more with the weather we are having

Advertisement