Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CBR 600 1

• 28-11-2012 12:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Looking at an old cbr600

1995 CBR 600, Years test and 78k km on the clock

Bar the chain tensioner and blue smoke what else should i be looking for.

I'm also considering buying a crashed later model parts bin...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

Looking at an old cbr600

1995 CBR 600, Years test and 78k km on the clock

Bar the chain tensioner and blue smoke what else should i be looking for.

I'm also considering buying a crashed later model parts bin...

I presume you mean a years tax? There is no test for bikes. (as of yet anyway)

Check to make sure the headers aren't rusted and dust cap seals are in good condition, check tyre thread depth and brake pads. Also worth checking steering head bearings as these bikes are favoured by the amateur wheelie crowd.

EDIT: also at the kinda mileage/age make sure it is/was serviced regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

I presume you mean a years tax? There is no test for bikes. (as of yet anyway)

Check to make sure the headers aren't rusted and dust cap seals are in good condition, check tyre thread depth and brake pads. Also worth checking steering head bearings as these bikes are favoured by the amateur wheelie crowd!

I'm in Australia.

Rust is less of an issue here but it happens, ill check anyway.

Rego is a years road tax and requires mechanical safety inspection at that age.

Thanks for the pointers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Forget brake pads, they're cheap :) check if the discs are thin or warped.

Head gaskets can blow at high mileage so check for coolant in the oil and oil in the coolant.

Scrap the cap!

Ok I bought it and bought it cheap due to some issues.

Took a gamble though on the chain tensioner being the source of bad engine rattle.

If i'm wrong there could be big ends shot under the noise of the tensioner and ill be swapping in a second hand engine over Christmas.

Ill know in a few hours did i get a very cheap bike or just a cheap bike.

The odds are against me though.

Update:
    Timing chain tensioner and spring "mangalated". Garage amazed it moved and didn't jump teeth.

New engine quote 1200 for 28k engine core swap + unknown amount of my time. (off the road till feb as a result)

New spring and tension-er going in. Big end bearing not making noise.

Bill looking ok so far but who knows.

Does my 1200 gamble pay off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

cars and bikes are worth a lot more there.

1500e would buy a 2000 cbr600f4 /f4i here now.

with regards to the chain tensioner, a good way of checking is to hold in the clutch in neutral, normally the rattle goes away. thats the way it is on the zxr anyway. thats for the cam chain tensioner.

1200 for an engine, thank god we dont have prices like that!!

at 1200 it is probably cheaper to ship one down from the UK.

Prices on everything down here is silly. I call it the last bubble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

copeyhagen wrote: »
    with regards to the chain tensioner, a good way of checking is to hold in the clutch in neutral, normally the rattle goes away. thats the way it is on the zxr anyway. thats for the cam chain tensioner.

I used to own a 98 CBR. The rattle in neutral is just the clutch basket, the shape of the fairing seems to amplify the noise for some reason.
    Didn't have a camchain tensioner go on the CBR, but I did on my GPz, when blipping the throttle in neutral it could be heard as a little metallic tinkling noise just as the bike was coming back down towards idle.

Scrap the cap!

Tensioner replaced. All is healthy.

Jobs that need doing:

1. Clean and balance Carbs.
    2. Rear tyre on wear indicator.
    3. Chain and sprocket.

Will park it up while I order parts and get tools together post Christmas but im a happy bunny with the result.

side.png

ALBUM:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/104253486455883489397/CBR?authuser=0&feat=directlink

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Bike looks good.

Well wear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement