Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duck Fat

Options
  • 28-11-2012 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know where to get a good quantity of Duck Fat (1kg) in Dublin? I want to confit some turkey legs among other things.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

They have it in superquinn. Think I've also seen it in Tesco, but not sure.

Or treat yourself and roast up a duck (or two) tonight. Dinner AND duck fat !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Thanks, I think Superquinn only have it in small containers, I'm looking for at least a 1kg tub! Cooking a duck or two would be delish

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Buying duck fat or goose fat on its own is terribly expensive for what it is. I would think you would get a litre of fat from two ducks, go for it. The silver hill ducks that are widely available are more than decent.

Discovered that La Rousse will sell it to me for €3.45 per 800g, problem is I have to spend over €50 for free delivery. Unfortunately that seems like it will be far too easy :p

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Hah, buy the whole goat or suckling pig :)

Genuine question - any chance that a kid goat would fit in a standard oven or would I need to do it on a spit ? (website says it's about 10kg). Would suckling pig (4.5kg) fit in an oven ?

F.

• Advertisement

The suckling pig might, I doubt the goat would. I need piping bags, so that'll make up most of the €50

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

MarkMc wrote: »
    Discovered that La Rousse will sell it to me for €3.45 per 800g,
    That is really cheap. Tesco have an offer on tesco finest goose fat 2 for €4, 200g jars.

Lakeshore goose fat is €3.99 for 200g in tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 holmeste

tesco or ice land sell it too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭iliketeaandcake

Supervalu have a good deal on goose fat if that would suit? 6quid for a two jar multipack, and 10quid for two sets (so that's four jars for a tenner). They often sell half duck or whole duck dinner specials, cooked a half duck last week and got a good size jug of duck fat out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Lidl have 180g jars of goose fat around this time every year too ...

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-9043D32C-336A7C20/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/4179_26391.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement