Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best place to book flights?

• 28-11-2012 6:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

I need to get to Canada before the middle of february to activate my residency or it will lapse (and I will have to do medicals etc all over again!)

Anyway, I have been monitoring flight prices on ebookers and they tend to change from 550-650 for a return flight at the end of January. Can anyone recommend another website where I may get it cheaper?

Also, in your opinion do you think those flights on ebookers may raise or lower before the new year?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

P.S. flights were with BA from shannon to vancouver with one layover in heathrow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mickob16

Have you tried skyscanner? Even the airlines websites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Limericks wrote: »
    Hey there,

I need to get to Canada before the middle of february to activate my residency or it will lapse (and I will have to do medicals etc all over again!)

Anyway, I have been monitoring flight prices on ebookers and they tend to change from 550-650 for a return flight at the end of January. Can anyone recommend another website where I may get it cheaper?

Also, in your opinion do you think those flights on ebookers may raise or lower before the new year?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

P.S. flights were with BA from shannon to vancouver with one layover in heathrow.

Remember there is always Seattle or Bellingham if you're going to Vancouver. Always cheaper to fly to states.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

I saw a website called Canadian affair and they're flights are really cheap but I think pretty basic!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

flynnser19 wrote: »
    I saw a website called Canadian affair and they're flights are really cheap but I think pretty basic!!!!

Canadian Affair are Air Transat who arent bad at all. You get TVs on the back of seats. Up to recently you could book your Canada to UK flights from the UK and it was much cheaper. They've finally cottoned on and stopped it. Canadian Affair also have a discount word normally for a bit off if you google for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrs McSweeney

One thing worth noting is that the luggage allowance varies from airline to airline, and even if flights are more expensive you may save money on transporting your belongings.
    I am about to look into this in more detail, within the next week or so, and will post my findings here.

The above is only relevant of course if you have a fair bit of luggage, if you travel light then it won't be an issue!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

flynnser19 wrote: »

For a flight from london to calgary works out at 320euro then a ryanair flight from dub to london 40euro not to bad so 370euro compared to the prices of 550 on skyscanner for the same date in march think i will be flying with canadian air:D

I've heard Canadian Air being mentioned loads of times, good prices, but low enough baggage allowance (see my point above). I'm fairly sure my OH will go with them, he's hoping to fly out this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I've decided I hate trying to book flights from Vancouver home.
    Faregeek.com don't accept international credit cards apparently, only USA/Canadian cards. (emailed them pointing out that a lot of WHV visitors arriving will have their international Visa/Mastercards in hand and won't be wanting to get a Canadian Visacard on top of that. No dice from them)

Youbookit, I've tried to book through their site twice now, and neither time did the confirmation go through. Emailed them about it, they hadn't a clue what the problem is. I've even sent them a picture of the page that's displayed once you hit the "Confirm" button. It's a pic bringing you back to the flight search page, but it's in Greek. Fierce reassuring seem as I've just hit a button that had a page displaying my credit card details on it.

Say a prayer Lastminute.com send me an email confirming a booking.
    Serves me right going through trying to find the cheapest flight possible, next time round I'll be hitting up Airlingus or Air Canada directly and pay the few quid extra.

Another one recommended to me was Air Transat, supposedly the cheapest for the long haul flights, & West Jet for inland Canadian flights. I haven't had a chance to look at either of them yet though.

Advertisement