Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealer sold second hand car.

Options
  • 28-11-2012 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Does SOGSOS apply to dealer sold second hand cars?

So if a vehicle was purchased a week and half ago, and has to be jumped every two or three days [with a good 20 km run just after each jump], be returned to dealer for resolution?

Edit : Dealer specifically wrote "one month warranty on engine and gearbox" on receipt . Don't think that makes a difference.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

If sold in the course of a business a full set of consumer rights apply - bearing in mind what is reasonable for the age of the car.

If sold privately the car must be safe to drive only.

I'm open to correction on the above but pretty sure that's how it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

If sold in the course of a business a full set of consumer rights apply - bearing in mind what is reasonable for the age of the car.

If sold privately the car must be safe to drive only.

I'm open to correction on the above but pretty sure that's how it stands.

Yeah, it was sold in the course of business and is an 04 [I think]. The damn thing just won't start. Not the battery as the internal lights are good.
    One would expect, at the very least, that the engine would start.

/me thinks it maybe something expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

RangeR wrote: »
    Yeah, it was sold in the course of business and is an 04 [I think]. The damn thing just won't start. Not the battery as the internal lights are good.

Do cars still have alternators? That's what happened to a car I had many moons ago - same sort of symptoms. Not that I know the first thing about engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Sounds like a problem with the alternator. Bring it back to the dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Its the battery, not the alternator.

Put a new one in, and your problem will be solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Starter motors are high load devices. The battery could still run internal lights but not be able to deliver enough to current to operate the starter.

Check the leads on the battery terminals, they might just need reseating or tightening.

A low charge in the battery may be caused by a dud battery or a faulty alternator, so either Pkiernan or Foggy_lad could be right with their diagnosis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

An 04 car on the original battery, they don't last for ever? I'd start by replacing the battery. Dealers don't always know the state of the battery on a second hand car because they don't expect it to be charged 100%, if the car has been sitting on a forecourt, they probably jumped it themselves and thought nothing of it.

Test with the headlamps on full not the interior lights, if they go dim in a few seconds with the engine off then the battery isn't holding enough charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Most likely the battery. Internal lights can be fine but if there is not enough charge in the battery to start the engine (which is a lot more than keeping a few lights going) then its the battery which needs replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

eirator wrote: »
    An 04 car on the original battery, they don't last for ever? I'd start by replacing the battery. Dealers don't always know the state of the battery on a second hand car because they don't expect it to be charged 100%, if the car has been sitting on a forecourt, they probably jumped it themselves and thought nothing of it.

Test with the headlamps on full not the interior lights, if they go dim in a few seconds with the engine off then the battery isn't holding enough charge.

No idea if it's the original battery. Anyway, it's out of my hands. Dealer agreed with "her indoors" to replace the battery tomorrow.

Advertisement