Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelscoils and secondary schools

Options
  • 28-11-2012 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here have their children in Gaelscoils in Galway? And how do you find them? Are they good schools?

Is there an issue getting children into secondary schools other than Coláiste NA Coiribe? I'd imagine the Gaelscoils aren't feeder schools to the usual boys and girls secondary schools? Or are they?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

My daughter is in Gaelscoil Dara and in general it's an excellent school and she loves it. We find there to be a lot more focus on religion than we were given to understand when we attended a meeting before we sent her there, but that's the only quibble and probably the same virtually everywhere bar perhaps educate together schools.

We're undecided on secondary yet. Coláiste Na Coiribe is certainly a possibility though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Mr_A wrote: »
    My daughter is in Gaelscoil Dara and in general it's an excellent school and she loves it.

We're undecided on secondary yet. Coláiste Na Coiribe is certainly a possibility though.
    Do pupils from Gaelscoil Dara get automatic places in Coláiste Na Coiribe? A friend tried to put her son's name down for Coláiste Na Coiribe 2019 intake recently and found that it was already 80% oversubscribed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Do pupils from Gaelscoil Dara get automatic places in Coláiste Na Coiribe? A friend tried to put her son's name down for Coláiste Na Coiribe 2019 intake recently and found that it was already 80% oversubscribed.

I have already put my daughter's name down in Coláiste NA Coiribe for the year 2022! It's been down a year already.

My query is whether the Gaelscoils feed other secondary schools other than Coláiste NA Coiribe? Like would it be hard for a child who went to a Gaelscoil to get into say Salerno or The Bish for example?

Each school has their own policies I presume

As an example for the Bish they are:
    http://www.bish.ie/about-the-bish/policies/101-admission-policy

(1) Brothers of past or present students
    (2) Sons of members of the school staff.
    (3) Students transferring from sixth class in St. Patrick’s National School, Lombard St., Galway

(4)

(a) Sons, grandsons or nephews of former students who completed either Junior, (Intermediate) or Leaving CertificateProgrammes in theschool.

(b) Grandsons or nephews of teaching staff (presently employed or retired).

(5) Students transferring from sixth class in Primary Schools within a 25 km. radius of this school.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Coláiste na Coiribe is first come first serve. Incredible school, but the lack of facilities is a killer. They're due to move out to Knocknacarra in 2015 so keep that in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

My aunt put her baby down for enrolment there before he was born!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

My aunt put her baby down for enrolment there before he was born!

The school are crazy to accept applications like this in my opinion!!!! How can you possibly put a child's name down before it's even born???.....so wrong!

Advertisement