Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft problem

Options
  • 28-11-2012 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

My other half has a problem with her laptop which is a new error for me. When IE is opened a window pops up "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library" and you cant go any further with IE. I took a photo of the screen hoping someone could take a look and give me some advice.Oh I don't know what she was doing when it appeared, "it just poped up..." Thanks.

040D2207-796F-4759-B087-4602085BEB8D-3032-000002935CB0BB7F.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Try clearing IE's cache, if that does not help just reinstall IE, easiest way to fix an unknown issue. It is prob some extension or toolbar that is unstable. Btw next time take a screenshot with the Print Screen button on your keyboard, paste it into Paint and upload that to photobucket. No need for camera phones :D

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Try clearing IE's cache, if that does not help just reinstall IE, easiest way to fix an unknown issue. It is prob some extension or toolbar that is unstable. Btw next time take a screenshot with the Print Screen button on your keyboard, paste it into Paint and upload that to photobucket. No need for camera phones :D

Thanks for that I'll try clearing, as for print screen, the laptop doesn't use anything other than IE to access email so I couldn't think of another way of getting the "screen shot".

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Ok if ya still have the installation CD for the laptop use it to reinstall IE, if not use another computer to download the correct version(Looks like either Vista or Win7 but check in System settings, will tell you if you need 32 or 64 bit) of the installer here and copy it over to the laptop using a USB key and install it. Uninstall IE on the laptop before ya do this. You can get chrome and Firefox then as they are better browsers than IE.

(Btw check out that link that apperture put up, if you follow it you can remove the toolbars manually saving you having to reinstall IE if that is the problem. )

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Just on what _Puma_ said, if you have to use IE, download Firefox or Google Chrome, uninstall IE, then if you navigate to the IE download page on microsofts website, it should auto detect which version off windows you're using and show you the correct download link ( I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure it'll do it automatically).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

You could try a system restore previous to when the error started occurring, then uninstall/disable any toolbars and add-ons in IE, personally I'd never have any toolbars installed for any browser, why would you want a Google toolbar when you can just type Google.ie and away you go

21/25

Thanks for all the help and as I said this isn't my machine and I know it is a mess, I'm just so lucky getting the job of trying to fix it :rolleyes:
    Any way, I can't access the web so I can't download anything but I did copy IE9 to a USB to install but I can't see IE on the list of installed programs so I can uninstall it also on that list there about 8 mentions of Microsoft Visual C++ Any suggetions.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

In the uninstall programs menu you should see a sidebar link to turn Windows features on and off. Go in there, and disable internet explorer and the .net framework. Create a restore point first. Afterwards, reboot, re enable internet explorer (reboot) and redownload the framework, it should come up again for download if you run Windows update

I can't guarantee success, only adventure

Overheal wrote: »
    In the uninstall programs menu you should see a sidebar link to turn Windows features on and off. Go in there, and disable internet explorer and the .net framework. Create a restore point first. Afterwards, reboot, re enable internet explorer (reboot) and redownload the framework, it should come up again for download if you run Windows update

I can't guarantee success, only adventure

Thanks for the adventure but it was unsuccessful. The Microsoft error is still there and pops up when IE is opened. I guess I'm back to trying to uninstall IE. So any more suggestions.

gears wrote: »
    Thanks for the adventure but it was unsuccessful. The Microsoft error is still there and pops up when IE is opened. I guess I'm back to trying to uninstall IE. So any more suggestions.
    Well that is the procedure to uninstall IE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

to rule out extensions start IE with addons disabled

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Firblog

Go to start button -> all programs -> right click on IE icon -> Properties

-> previous versions, if one is there, restore to it.

OR

Go to C: -> Program Files (not 64) -> Internet Explorer

Click on iexplore, this should open up internet explorer 32 bit

Hopefully one will get you back online.

Firblog wrote: »
    Go to start button -> all programs -> right click on IE icon -> Properties

-> previous versions, if one is there, restore to it.

OR

Go to C: -> Program Files (not 64) -> Internet Explorer

Click on iexplore, this should open up internet explorer 32 bit

Hopefully one will get you back online.

The restore seems to have got it working. Thanks again.

Actually one last question, I was looking around to see what rubbish could be cleaned up and I found that there is about 6gb in the Application Data Temp folder and ccleaner doesn't seem to remove them. I don't want to simply delete these if they are needed. Are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 carter2

This is what I did.
    1. Turn On PC as normal
    2. Wait for prompt error to show up
    3. When it appears, Run Task Manager (here you can see the task running the Error Prompt)
    4. Right Click on the task and Choose > Go To Process (will take you to processes Tab)
    5. See the highlighted Process, Right Click and Choose Open File Location
    6. Windows Explorer will appear and you can see the Application Folder (name of application)
    In my case, a 'browser toolbar application' was trying to auto initiate itself
    7. Open Uninstall Programs > Search for Application Name > Uninstall
    8. Restart PC.....its gone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

What I'd do in your situation..

1) backup everything needed
    2) reinstall

It may be extreme but I do a fresh install like once a month anyway.. Hate when windows gets clogged up with sh1t

carter2 wrote: »
    This is what I did.
    1. Turn On PC as normal
    2. Wait for prompt error to show up
    3. When it appears, Run Task Manager (here you can see the task running the Error Prompt)
    4. Right Click on the task and Choose > Go To Process (will take you to processes Tab)
    5. See the highlighted Process, Right Click and Choose Open File Location
    6. Windows Explorer will appear and you can see the Application Folder (name of application)
    In my case, a 'browser toolbar application' was trying to auto initiate itself
    7. Open Uninstall Programs > Search for Application Name > Uninstall
    8. Restart PC.....its gone :)

Thanks but I've sorted the error problem it's just the Temp folder in Application data that I'm not sure of. It's fairly large and I don't want to delete it if there's important stuff there.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Thanks but I've sorted the error problem it's just the Temp folder in Application data that I'm not sure of. It's fairly large and I don't want to delete it if there's important stuff there.

There's a reason temp folders are called temp folders.
    Run "Disk clean up" in Accessories-system tools, in fact no harm in adding a shortcut into the startup folder. Allso no harm in going into the control panel-uninstall and get rid of unused programmes & toolbars.

Thanks but there is another problem, there was a virus on the machine which removed or hid a lot of programs so when you go through accessories-system tools to get to dick clean up there is nothing on the tab even if you go through the drive and folders directly the folder in system tools is empty.
    Any ideas on how to do a disk clean up with out going through these folders?

Sorry, but any ideas on how to get around this problem?

• Advertisement

Sorry, but any ideas on how to get around this problem?
    The solution around any PC problem is start over: backing up your files and wiping the system to factory default. Not always the first option, but certainly an effective one. My rule of thumb, if you haven't resolved the problem in less time than it would have taken you to do the system wipe and restore all your programs and files, you've basically been wasting time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 carter2

Ok thats great if you have got the solution!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭maccored

try creating a new user and logging in with that. sometimes profiles can get corrupted or a virus can be restricted to and affect only one profile. I'd only wipe the machine completely if nothing else works. that or stop using windows and use something more reliable instead.

Advertisement