Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LTE and the Irish Networks - Quick Question

Options
  • 28-11-2012 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm considering upgrading to a Note 2 that I'd be using on the eMobile network, but probably buying Sim-Free from the likes of Amazon UK/Germany.

I've noticed a lot of reviews on those sites complaining that the Note 2 N7100 doesn't have LTE support - for that you need a N7105 apparently which is an extra £100 or so.

If I remember right, Meteor won part of the 4G/LTE spectrum bid lately didn't they? As they and eMobile are the same thing really - both share the same network infrastructure and back-end ops - would I be better off shelling out the extra to future-proof myself a bit longer, or is it unlikely any sort of 4G/LTE deployment will happen for another few years anyway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm considering upgrading to a Note 2 that I'd be using on the eMobile network, but probably buying Sim-Free from the likes of Amazon UK/Germany.

I've noticed a lot of reviews on those sites complaining that the Note 2 N7100 doesn't have LTE support - for that you need a N7105 apparently which is an extra £100 or so.

If I remember right, Meteor won part of the 4G/LTE spectrum bid lately didn't they? As they and eMobile are the same thing really - both share the same network infrastructure and back-end ops - would I be better off shelling out the extra to future-proof myself a bit longer, or is it unlikely any sort of 4G/LTE deployment will happen for another few years anyway?

For Meteor/eMobile 4G/LTE services will be available before June 2013 on 850 & 1800mhz bands, so its up to you really, its not that far away I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

For Meteor/eMobile 4G/LTE services will be available before June 2013 on 850 & 1800mhz bands, so its up to you really, its not that far away I suppose.

If this is the case I would hold off upgrading until the networks confirm roll out dates if your current phone is okay. And I would think it will major cities first.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Cheers for the replies lads.

I will probably go for the phone anyway, but it'd be nice to have the support for 4G if it's going to start rolling out that soon, so I might as well shell out the extra for the upgraded model in that case.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Actually, quick follow-up then..

The Note 2 that's currently being sold by emobile/meteor online.. is that the N7100 or N7105 does anyone know, or if anyone here has gotten one lately, could you check?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Actually, quick follow-up then..

The Note 2 that's currently being sold by emobile/meteor online.. is that the N7100 or N7105 does anyone know, or if anyone here has gotten one lately, could you check?

Cheers!
    It's the 100

• Advertisement
Advertisement