Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baby puppies abandoned in a ditch

• 28-11-2012 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

My hubby rang me while ago, to tell me someone had abandoned 2 very small puppies in a ditch. He said they are as small as our own lil doggie when we bought him first (shorter then the sky remote when he was 3 months). They sort of staggered out infront of his truck, and thankfully he spotted them. turned off the truck and jumped out. He was in the middle of no where (literally) no houses around for miles. They must have been dropped off :-( He hung around for a while to see if their mum was hanging around. Nothing.

Naturally, I could see where the call was leading to. so looks like we'll have 2 extra mouths to feed! and spade/neuter. He has no idea what breed they are, probably mongroooooools! Am we doing the right thing? cos God only knows what they'll turn out to be.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

You're doing the right thing. Even if you can't keep them yourself you can always rehome them. You've given them a shot at a life after someone had taken it away and that's a good thing. Well done to you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ah fair play to you both. If at all possible your husband might go back and have a good search through the ditch and surrounding area in case there were more than 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

Whispered wrote: »
    Ah fair play to you both. If at all possible your husband might go back and have a good search through the ditch and surrounding area in case there were more than 2.
    He did, he hung around and started calling. After a poke around, it was time for him to head away. It's just the 2 of them :-( definitely dropped off, cos they are too small to walk that far away from any house/shed unaided. Last I heard he was pulling into centra to get them food! I doubt it'll be tinned food tho (in the back of truck?) sausages/cooked meat probably. Poor lil things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

well done i know its 2 more mouths to feed but imagine the personal satisfaction when you see 2 healthy puppies fighting for your love and attention in a couple of weeks time it will all be worth it

again fair play to you both human nature is alive and thriving

you will get your rewards i hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Am we doing the right thing?

Definitely. Don't even think twice about it. Imagine trying to sleep tonight knowing those two puppies were out in below freezing conditions just waiting to die.

On the other hand, some people are utter scum bags. How anyone could just drop off two puppies like that is beyond me, put them on the vets doorstep or something, give them a chance like. To just basically leave them to die says a lot about those who do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If you're planning on keeping both of them then you'll need to read up on 'littermate syndrome'. I've heard that it can be very difficult taking on littermates as they bond with each other more than with you, so training can be difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

If you guys aren't in s position to keep them then contact your local animal rescue and explain to them what happened, they should be able to help. More than lokely if they have space they will take them and rehome them after Xmas.

You are definitely doing the right thing, while it is an awful lot to take on, I understand your apprehension, if your husband just left them there then they could easily be killed on the road, freeze to death, starve to death, be picked up by some not so very nice people etc. there chances or survival at this age would be very, very slim if left to fend for themselves. Atleast with you guys taking them, even temporarily, they will survive.

Best of luck :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Wow fair play to ye. What county are you in, we'll be able to recommend some rescues that might be able to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Just wanted to say good on you and your hubby - so many people would have kept going.

Dumping unwanted puppies is very common in this country, I'd love to hear the "reasons" whoever the sh!thead was would give for doing what they did. Gets me so damn angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 sonichic

Yes of course you are doing the right thing. poor fur babas. you can always give them away to a good home once they are in good health. I can never understand how anyone can hurt an animal.

• Advertisement

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Wow fair play to ye. What county are you in, we'll be able to recommend some rescues that might be able to help.
    Cork county, close to Kerry too though :-)

Just wanted to say good on you and your hubby - so many people would have kept going.

Dumping unwanted puppies is very common in this country, I'd love to hear the "reasons" whoever the sh!thead was would give for doing what they did. Gets me so damn angry.
    Abandoning a lil puppie is really scrapping the end of the barrell. A fully grown dog off loose scavaging for food is bad enough, and breeding with other dogs, but doing that to a pup that can't find food? thats just heartless.

i thought that if they were female they might have been abandoned to stop any more unanted puppies, maybe someone couldn't afford to have them spade. but I was informed that they are both male (so I can only assume that they couldn't afford to feed them, still no excuse)

one is very loving. the other couldn't give 2 Fecks! they have had (so far) sausages, and fresh milk (supplied by one of the farmers on one of my hubbys stops). when they are 'home' and get to meet the '1foot tall 1foot long 'boss' of the kitchen...they'll settle in.

any ideas why they would have wanted rid of 2 males though?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I've come to the conclusion after years of working in rescue that there is simply no point in trying to figure out why some people are prepared to do something like this to helpless pups. As already posted above, why not leave them somewhere where they'll be found and helped, one way or the other? It beggars belief, and I don't think people like this are on the same planet as the type of people who post in forums like this! Different species.

OP, have you reared impoverished pups before? I know your OH was stuck, but sausages and milk are the absolute last thing a pup should be consuming... milk will really upset their tums.
    Would you consider contacting a local rescue, at least for guidance on how to raise these pups, on the assumption that they're not in the peak of their health? At the very least, the first thing that must happen is that they see a vet: they are almost certainly going to need to be (very carefully) wormed, possibly treated fleas (or other parasites), and you need to find out what age they are. They'll need to get onto really good, nutritious food, and they're going to turn your home into a cesspit (all pups do!)
    Getting some experienced guidance in all of this would be very useful for you, if not that they'd take the pups altogether and have them raised by an experienced fosterer.

Right then. They are home. One is pitch black. Looks like a baby labrador..but the legs are 5 miles long! The other is the exact same colours of an alsatian (same proportion as the black, again with the legs that go on for miles)

I fed them, and watered them. Very scared & timid (naturally) Something weird/unusual.One of my lil ones was demanding a plate chippies. Our frier has an alarm on it. It beeps for about 30 seconds to indicate it's ready. when the pups heard this bleeping, they shot out from their hiding spot, full of excitment, and looking up at us like they were waiting for something. Bleeping noises mean something great to them? any ideas?

They are 18" from tip of nose to their backside ( not including tail), front legs from shoulder down is 8". The black one seems like the runt of the litter, is certainy a bit smaller, even her (yes they turned out to be 2 girls) eyes still have that bluey colour to them. No more then 3 months I'd say from experience of puppies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Maybe they could be lurchers? They are quite leggy as puppies. Well done for taking them in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

or greyhounds? females kept for breeding maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Fair play to you & your husband and hopefully everything works out.

Any chance of a pic of the two wee brats :-)

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    Fair play to you & your husband and hopefully everything works out.

Any chance of a pic of the two wee brats :-)
    I'll have a look and figure out how to do that, I took a few with a view to uploading. Might take a while though!:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'll have a look and figure out how to do that, I took a few with a view to uploading. Might take a while though!:-)

If you upload the photo to photobucket.com (it's free to set up an account!) you will see something that says IMG code at the right hand side of the screen, copy and paste that code here :)

I think we have black labradors X german shepards.
    We have had labs in the past, but never had shepards. they are young, and skinny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Well done for taking them in. I hope you'll be able to rehome them to some good folks.

It could have been that an abandoned/stray bitch gave birth in a ditch and if your husband couldn't find her sadly she may have died, or wandered away in search of food, and the puppies went searching for warmth.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭markbld65

fair play to ye both

we have 6 rescues here,

bless ye both karma will repay you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

From the description they sound like lurchers! OP, fair play, you guys totally doing the right thing by taking them in. If you upload pics on Facebook, you can copy and paste as well. There are a few groups in the country involved in rescuing greyhounds and lurchers. They may be able to give you advice, and help in finding homes if you can't keep them yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Funny that, because a little black Labrador type pup and black and tan shep pup were abandoned on a beach in Drogheda there last night by someone in a car! She actually dumped three pups, but came back for the last one! Do people not realise how cold it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 aimee0123

I really cannot believe how anyone could be so cruel to do this to an animal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

i thought that if they were female they might have been abandoned to stop any more unanted puppies, maybe someone couldn't afford to have them spade. but I was informed that they are both male (so I can only assume that they couldn't afford to feed them, still no excuse)

It's probable that they are the remains of a litter that the breeder couldn't sell. The little guys are lucky that they didn't wind up in a sack in a river.

img818imageshack

img.818.imageshack

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Cant see the pics. Can anyone else see them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    Cant see the pics. Can anyone else see them?

No, cant see them either.

Advertisement