Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baby puppies abandoned in a ditch

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

The pup dumping seems particularly bad this week, we got a call from a guy who saw 5 pups dumped out in a cardboard box from a van on Tues night. They were put out on the side of a busy road on a freezing cold night, people are the animals that's for sure. They're likely lurchers pups, full of worms and starving :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

Sorry about the pictures :-( i'm crap at this. I did manage to upload a pic onto photoshack. But then did not have a clue how to get it from there to here. anyway, an update. Look like they are german shepherd puppies, just off the teat. They were so hungry, they were fighting with eachother about 'who would get to eat their poo' Soo bvously as soon as they go, it gets cleaned up.
    They vomitted ALOT, and had very wattering poo ALOT and FULL of worms. So have them on good puppy food, endless supply of water, and I have wormed them too. Now they are eating alot more calmer, relaxed, and not fighting eachother for it! :-D

They are ....finally...not afraid, full of life, happy, warm, fed, and get great fun out of teasing our other pooch! (he is spoilt and can't understand what the commotion is all about ..woof!) they love the kids too. typical puppies. We will do the best we can for them anyway.

Up again at 5.30 this morning washing the kitchen floor which i dont mind, I'm always up early anyway to let the pooch & cat out for a piddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Sorry about the pictures :-( i'm crap at this. I did manage to upload a pic onto photoshack. But then did not have a clue how to get it from there to here. anyway, an update. Look like they are german shepherd puppies, just off the teat. They were so hungry, they were fighting with eachother about 'who would get to eat their poo' Soo bvously as soon as they go, it gets cleaned up.
    They vomitted ALOT, and had very wattering poo ALOT and FULL of worms. So have them on good puppy food, endless supply of water, and I have wormed them too. Now they are eating alot more calmer, relaxed, and not fighting eachother for it! :-D

They are ....finally...not afraid, full of life, happy, warm, fed, and get great fun out of teasing our other pooch! (he is spoilt and can't understand what the commotion is all about ..woof!) they love the kids too. typical puppies. We will do the best we can for them anyway.

Up again at 5.30 this morning washing the kitchen floor which i dont mind, I'm always up early anyway to let the pooch & cat out for a piddle.

Fair play again on all your hard work.

Use http://imageshack.us/ to upload pics. After you upload just copy the 'Forum Code' & paste it here like the image below shows. Dead handy.

boards.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Gillian1

My heart has just melted looking at those pics.
    Well done op if only there was more people like you in the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Wow they are gorgeous! I've just read this thread, fair play to you and your family for what you're doing for these puppies. Pretty good chance they would have suffered a cruel death by now from cold/hunger if your husband hadn't pick them up. Tough job ahead of you but with lots of rewards :)

the 2 of them are definitely sisters. the other one is completely black. Just did the school run, came back to yet another 3 Poops. I had forgotten how much they poop. Eat, Sh*t & sleep. Lucy (the one is in the pic) is 'the boss' and has developed a taste for curtains, cardigans, and oven mits. .... Elle (da black wan)is alot quieter, but man can she poop. Air freshner in one hand....mop in other... Even the pet cockatiel has stop his chatter.
    i can't see myself buyin bakers complete puppy every week, it's a tad expensive, But I do it to get the starvaation off them. then i'll get them their shots. After that it's pot luck! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Could be the bakers that's making them poop so much, it's not the greatest of foods to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

the 2 of them are definitely sisters. the other one is completely black. Just did the school run, came back to yet another 3 Poops. I had forgotten how much they poop. Eat, Sh*t & sleep. Lucy (the one is in the pic) is 'the boss' and has developed a taste for curtains, cardigans, and oven mits. .... Elle (da black wan)is alot quieter, but man can she poop. Air freshner in one hand....mop in other... Even the pet cockatiel has stop his chatter.
    i can't see myself buyin bakers complete puppy every week, it's a tad expensive, But I do it to get the starvaation off them. then i'll get them their shots. After that it's pot luck! :-)
    They are so cute mashedbanana, you and your OH are absolute heroes, it would renew your faith in humanity to see there are still decent people like you out there.

Just one thing though, I have heard awful things about Bakers dog food recently, there was an article in one of the papers lately which I just can’t find, but if you do a quick Google, there are plenty of articles about it. Maybe that’s what’s causing them to poop so much.
    http://www.jack-russell-terrier.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,272828

Silly Magoo beat me too it!

• Advertisement

Gillian1 wrote: »
    My heart has just melted looking at those pics.
    Well done op if only there was more people like you in the world
    Isn't she only gorgeous? She's gonna be a right old madam!

ncmc wrote: »
    They are so cute mashedbanana, you and your OH are absolute heroes, it would renew your faith in humanity to see there are still decent people like you out there.

Just one thing though, I have heard awful things about Bakers dog food recently, there was an article in one of the papers lately which I just can’t find, but if you do a quick Google, there are plenty of articles about it. Maybe that’s what’s causing them to poop so much.
    http://www.jack-russell-terrier.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,272828
    I don't know is their a good alternative though for the puppy food. Going to the vet and getting the expensive stuff is outta my range. Do pedigree have a puppy range? I'll have a look at super valu tomorrow, maybe even tinned meat might be better for them. (my kitchen smells so bad! i'm boiling orange with cinnamon & cloves to mask the smell of sh*te, they both pee together & poop together...)

I don't know is their a good alternative though for the puppy food. Going to the vet and getting the expensive stuff is outta my range. Do pedigree have a puppy range? I'll have a look at super valu tomorrow, maybe even tinned meat might be better for them. (my kitchen smells so bad! i'm boiling orange with cinnamon & cloves to mask the smell of sh*te, they both pee together & poop together...)
    I really rate the James Wellbeloved range, it's not cheap, it's about €12.50 for 2kg, but because it's really good quality, you can feed them less of it. Some of the cheaper foods are a false economy cos it runs right through them (as you are discovering!) and you have to feed them loads of it, so a bag doesn't last long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Pedigree would be just as bad as bakers and if you think the smell if bad from them with the dry stuff stay well away from the wet stuff! Boil up some chicken and rice for them, easy on the tums :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Would agree with the others regarding the food. I know it's a lot to pay out at first but it really is grand when you realise how long the bag lasts. Wouldn't rate hills or royal canin, the two most popular foods that are sold in practice, they are way too expensive for what they are. But look if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. But just so as you know bakers pedigree etc. are all false economy, cheaper to buy in first place and then you have to feed a load of it because its so low quality. Whatever you do stay away from the tinned food, it's a waste of money and ads nothing but palatibilty.

Oh and just wondering are ye planning on keeping the little ladies or are ye going to try and a rehome them? Just put if curiosity really. Regardless, well done for taking them on, it's a serious amount if work with 1 nevermind say 2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I think that whatever they get to eat it may be a while before their bellies settle as it may be their first time they are eating solids at all.
    Bakers is not great and I understand how others may be expensive; if you look at mid-range foods such as Red Mills though it should be affordable and it goes a long way as there is not that much filler as in supermarket foods.
    Some manufacturers will send you samples before you commit to buy full size package so perhaps it's something to try!

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Would agree with the others regarding the food. I know it's a lot to pay out at first but it really is grand when you realise how long the bag lasts. Wouldn't rate hills or royal canin, the two most popular foods that are sold in practice, they are way too expensive for what they are. But look if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. But just so as you know bakers pedigree etc. are all false economy, cheaper to buy in first place and then you have to feed a load of it because its so low quality. Whatever you do stay away from the tinned food, it's a waste of money and ads nothing but palatibilty.

Oh and just wondering are ye planning on keeping the little ladies or are ye going to try and a rehome them? Just put if curiosity really. Regardless, well done for taking them on, it's a serious amount if work with 1 nevermind say 2!
    i thought bakers was the best, cos it the most expensive in the shops! Oh well... shur i have it bought now, i'm sure the other pooch won't mind having it instead. I had wondered, if they had been whipped off the teat too fast, and that ANY solid food might do the same thing..run straight through them. Ill have to play it by ear, and keep them hydrated in the mean time. I don't know if worming them might have added to the excessive watery poos too? Mind you...all the worms are coming out, dead.

Tbh i don't know for sure if I'm going to keep them or not, still undecided. in the mean time, I'll nurse them back to health. :-)

i thought bakers was the best, cos it the most expensive in the shops! Oh well... shur i have it bought now, i'm sure the other pooch won't mind having it instead. I had wondered, if they had been whipped off the teat too fast, and that ANY solid food might do the same thing..run straight through them. Ill have to play it by ear, and keep them hydrated in the mean time. I don't know if worming them might have added to the excessive watery poos too? Mind you...all the worms are coming out, dead.

Tbh i don't know for sure if I'm going to keep them or not, still undecided. in the mean time, I'll nurse them back to health. :-)
    I think the previous advice about rice and chicken might be be best at the moment as it does sound as if their little tummies aren't used to solid food. Maybe try them on that for a few days and see if the poo situation improves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

If your worried that they have been taken from the mother too soon then buy some milk replacer for them, not too expensive and a tin lasts a good while, anytime I have seen any very young animal I have always recommended this and they come on leaps and bounds, they wouldn't need more than a week or two at this stage by the looks of them, but wouldn't do them any harm if they were very wormy.

Watery poos aren't great because they will get dehydrated, not saying they will die or anything but it is less than ideal, I would do a mix of the replacer and some decent quality puppy feed for a week and see how they go. If there is a maxizoo near you pop in, I have always found them fairly helpful, and they have a massive range and often have offers on. Just go in with a budget in mind or if you want through your budget up here and we can help, midrange food should be fine, miles better than pedigree and bakers, I can't understand how they can sell bakers it's just rubbish put into colourful shapes, full of sugar and salt too.

Advertisement