Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 kittens & 1 dog

• 28-11-2012 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭

Hi all

I rehomed 2 half Siamese kittens (brother & sister) roughly 2 months ago. I already have a large dog and am now beginning to regret my decision.

My doggie is not a happy camper and although the kittens are grand with him, he is not grand with them.

I am not sure what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Any more info? How are the kittens grand with the dog but not vice versa? What happens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

He is growling at them. He doesn't really interact with them.

When they come near him he will do everything but look at them. It's like he is wishing they would go away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Had the same thing happen us, we had two German Shepards and a spaniel, found a dumped kitten brought her home one of the Shepards just wouldn't accept her, but with persistents the dog came around took an age but they ended up all sleeping in the bed together. Hope this helps because cats are great pets very easy to look after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'd persist with it. My parents had a kitten show up out of nowhere and the dog was adamant that it wasn't moving in. It would turn up and sit on a shed and watch the dog every day and go off somewhere. Eventually puss decided it was time to move in and made a run in the kitchen door and up the stairs. He stayed for the next 14 years and he and the dog used to curl up by the fire together. They'll adapt to each other eventually, they just need to work things out amongst themselves. Good luck with it.:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It's not clear from your post OP, but in case you're not already, it is critical that you make sure that the dog can not attack the kittens. If he is avoiding looking at them when they're near him, he's potentially a hair's breath away from having a pop at them, and you wouldn't be able to say you weren't warned!
    So, when the dog is around the kittens, either dog in crate, or behind baby gate, or on a lead which is held at the other end by an adult.
    Apologies if these measures are already in place, it's hard to tell from your post.

On a training level, I'd be inclined to make chicken rain from the skies above the dog every time the dog sets eyes on the kittens. I'd put the dog on lead or in a crate, and bring the kittens into the other end of the room several times every day for a minute, then two minutes, then three etc etc, and every time he looks at them, chicken rains from above.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help guys. The woof gets lots of praise and rewards when they are around. He has a lovely manner as he is a retriever. Fingers crossed they will all get along in time.

Had the same thing happen us, we had two German Shepards and a spaniel, found a dumped kitten brought her home one of the Shepards just wouldn't accept her, but with persistents the dog came around took an age but they ended up all sleeping in the bed together. Hope this helps because cats are great pets very easy to look after.

I have to say I am not finding this at all. One has (for some mad reason) decided that my laundry basket has become the new toilet. Their poo stinks too and I only live in a small house so I can smell it everywhere :(

Apart from that they are a lot of fun though and great snugglers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

verywell wrote: »
    I have to say I am not finding this at all. One has (for some mad reason) decided that my laundry basket has become the new toilet. Their poo stinks too and I only live in a small house so I can smell it everywhere :(

Is that the laundry basket with clean or dirty clothes? If it's dirty clothes then there may be smells encouraging him to go there... Only way around this is to keep it out of his reach!
    If it's clean clothes then it may be just because it's comfy to scratch around in! You could maybe try using a different form of litter, I know mine prefer the tesco wood chip one, they hate the little clumping pebbles. Some cats may also prefer to have some soil sprinkled over the top of the tray so it'll feel like they are going outside!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'll second wood chips but don't buy them from pet stores but from normal stores selling them for fuel; classic example I've seen is the same pellets sold for burning (5 EUR per 20 KG bag) and same type of pellets as cat / animal pellets (15 EUR for 10 KG bag)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

verywell wrote: »

Get a 2nd litter box, try different litters in both and see which one they prefer. Then switch to that one. Try a covered litter box too, mine seem to prefer those.

• Advertisement

Hi Yes I have 2 trays for them and I use the wood pellets from Woodies (€11).

The clothes are dirty so it must be smells. I thought it was more laziness but the smell thing makes total sense.

Dog is still snapping and the house is way too small to keep them separated. I think it is best for them to get rehomed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Ah sorry to here that its a real shame, fair play to you for giving it a good go, but if your dog isn't happy it's on fair on him/her .....

Advertisement