Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipad Tablet prices in Waterford?

Options
  • 28-11-2012 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Does any of yee know wheres the best and most importantly CHEAPEST place to buy Ipads or even the Samsung equivilant?

Im guessing i should also wait till after xmas or the sales??

Also if you have an arguement for which tablet to buy let me know, thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I believe Samsung have a new tablet for less than 300euro. Is that any good?

In general all retailers have next to no room to move on iPads and Tablets, I understand that its a common RRP across Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Yeah we were looking at the Samsung alright, and the Toshiba. the Toshiba is in Soundstore but the guy in PC world told us there were alot of recalls with the toshiba's and soundstore seem to be the only supplier.

Theres downsides to the IPAD and the Samsung.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Yeah we were looking at the Samsung alright, and the Toshiba. the Toshiba is in Soundstore but the guy in PC world told us there were alot of recalls with the toshiba's and soundstore seem to be the only supplier.

Theres downsides to the IPAD and the Samsung.

Samsung and the iPad are the most popular and most reliable by far tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Avoid Toshiba like the plague.From personal experience and the wall it got smashed off, they're garbage. The lower end tablets like the archos are actually superior imo.
    I myself prefer the android tabs over the apple ones, far more freedom to do stuff on it and far cheaper for similar to better tech.
    Can't see much of a difference in the prices after xmas, as the prices usually only drop coming near the launch of a newer model, so if ya see one cheap enough now I'd pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

Go no further than the Google Nexus 7 for around ~€250 for 32gb. Have played around with it and it's on my Christmas list:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Go no further than the Google Nexus 7 for around ~€250 for 32gb. Have played around with it and it's on my Christmas list:)
    Would definitely recommend this.

Dont want to be smart or anything but what qualifies yee two posters to recommend this, its not just an opinion is it, I dont mean that in a smart way like are yee computer techs or something? thanks for the recommendations!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'd be into my tech alright and my job has me doing extensive user experience testing across Android and Apple platforms. I'm also kind of an Apple nut so for me to come out and say the Nexus blows it away is quite something.

With that being said, if you want something that's intuitive and simple to use, the iPad is the best but in terms of overall ability, the Nexus is a clear winner.

I love the new Windows 8 interface as well but it's a bit too expensive as it stands, especially when you don't know if it'll take off with third-party app developers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

Wait for the Nexus 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

Does any of yee know wheres the best and most importantly CHEAPEST place to buy Ipads or even the Samsung equivilant?

Im guessing i should also wait till after xmas or the sales??

Also if you have an arguement for which tablet to buy let me know, thanks!

Don't really want to jump on the which is best bandwagon as I am an apple fan personally.

If you are looking at iPad I would recommend Harvey Norman. Bought one as a present for my parents there last week...for the latest iPad (retina) they were €41 euro cheaper than everywhere else i visited at €468 for the 16gb wifi. Cheaper on the iPad 2 also.

Hope that helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭crixos30

Hi i was debating getting an i pad 2 so i went in to currys and had a look at every tablet there i was sold my the nexus 7 its not that bulky but extremely powerful not a glitch or a pause in sight and battery performance is excellent i have a full two days messing with it and its still at 20 percent,i work in security at night so its very boring but this is the business to keep me awake;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

AdMMM wrote: »
    Would definitely recommend this.

Where would a person get one of these Nexus 7's locally ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

Junior wrote: »
    Where would a person get one of these Nexus 7's locally ?

PC World should have them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Saw them in D&D for 260 about 2months back.
    Friend has one also i think they are good. Gave it to me for a day to play around with and i liked it.

Also have the ipad & iphone but nexus gets a thumbs up from me. And the price is good also.

I ended up getting the samsung galaxy tab 2, Do you have to go and buy internet security for these?

I ended up getting the samsung galaxy tab 2, Do you have to go and buy internet security for these?

Not really. Its not as much of a problem as PCs with viruses and all of that craic. There are various apps you can get for free / paid on the market for protection but they generally drain the battery much quicker.

Sully wrote: »
    Not really. Its not as much of a problem as PCs with viruses and all of that craic. There are various apps you can get for free / paid on the market for protection but they generally drain the battery much quicker.

So its secure to browse my bank and stuff like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

You also havethe option of buyiung the Microsoft surface tablet, you have 2 choices wit it. Windows 8 RT (basically a cut down version to handle lower spec models #€499) or Windows 8 Pro (this will run all windows 8 compatible programs seemlessly, unlike the ipad iOS 6 is not the same as the MAC OSX ~€899, basically a laptop in a tablet form)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

So its secure to browse my bank and stuff like that?

Yeah yeah work away, I'd be more worried about where your browsing i.e. dont check your bank account on public wifi.

• Advertisement

Oh right, you mean out and about with the pad say in a coffe shop or something!

Anybody recommend a computer repair place? While i have the new tab i will go and have this laptop serviced. Theres a guy accross the road from harveys who does repairs anybody use them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

I of of this place http://www.pcrepairwaterford.com never used them just remember picking up one of there cards.

Advertisement