Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surrendering pet Dog

• 28-11-2012 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

My Father has a dog which is more for a farm than a domestic pet.
    He keeps going all over the floor and as the house is now empty at his age is too much to look after. Anyone know where he can give the dog away in the Dublin area or a place that would take him as he requires too much upkeep.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Would you not try toilet training him or getting a behaviorist to help work out the problems you are having?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Would you not try toilet training him or getting a behaviorist to help work out the problems you are having?

He's been toilet trained, he's in the house years it's just in the last few months he's constantly doing this.

Then it's most likely a medical problem, has he seen a vet lately? Could be a problem that's easily solved without resorting to having to get rid of him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

that sounds like it could be a medical issue, has he been seen by the vet?

being brutally honest, so many dogs are being surrendered and dumped, they are being put to sleep in their droves. if this is an older dog, then the chances of him finding a good home are very slim. How old is he, and what breed?

He's a collie cross and he's seven

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Please done just dump this dog, what do you think will happen to him?? Surrenders can be pts there and then, did you know that??

You owe this poor dog something after giving so many years, bring him to the vet and get him checked out, thats the least you can do for him.

To be honest, any type of collie, especially older ones stand a really poor chance at being rehomed and you know what comes next of they don't get a home...

At his age he is coming into his senior years, he could have a simple urinary tract infection that can be cleared up with a short dose of antibiotics.
    Get him to a vet before you even consider putting him in a shelter because as a surrendered dog they don't legally have to keep them for any length of time, and if he is sick then it's curtains day one.
    If the peeing problem cleared up would you still keep him?

I've no problem bringing him to the vet but he's still too big for the house and my auld lad just can't look after him on his own, surely there's a shelter that takes them and puts them up for adoption?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

godeas16 wrote: »
    I've no problem bringing him to the vet but he's still too big for the house and my auld lad just can't look after him on his own, surely there's a shelter that takes them and puts them up for adoption?
    At that age? Unlikely he'll be adopted from a shelter when people have the full selection of puppies and younger once...

Just looking online what about <snip>?

• Advertisement

Are you serious? How come all of a sudden hes too big for the house? You've had him 7 years.

No, shelters are full to the bring, there are thousands of dogs pts every year. I think you need to do some research into shelters etc and the pressure they are under at present!!

andreac wrote: »
    Are you serious? How come all of a sudden hes too big for the house? You've had him 7 years.

No, shelters are full to the bring, there are thousands of dogs pts every year. I think you need to do some research into shelters etc and the pressure they are under at present!!

Because there used to be more of us living there now he's on his own plus a deterioration in his health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Get him seen by a vet first either way so they can rule out anything more serious. You can contact <snip> or another rescue to see if they can help, a rescue might not be able to take him in straight away but they can put his photo and details on their websites so worth contacting a few rescues in the county you are in.

Once he's seen by the vet and sorted out, if you live near by then maybe give your dad a hand with walking the dog over the fields or on a lead until you can get something sorted. Be careful where he ends up though and if homing him yourself ensure you do a proper home check to make sure the owners are genuine.

Because there used to be more of us living there now he's on his own plus a deterioration in his health.

Have you brought him to the vets yet?? 7 is not old for a collie.

Just looking online what about <snip>?

very long waiting list. A couple of years ago, you may have been able to get this dog into a shelter and get him adopted, but the situation now is absolutely dire, and collies and collie crosses I'm afraid are high up on the type of dogs filling the pounds and shelters.

i would suggest taking him to the vet first, and having a chat with them, a lot of vets have contacts with the local shelters and welfare organisations, so they may be able to advise you.

worth contacting <snip> and the others in Dublin, and putting him on the waiting list.

if you check out www.irishanimals.ie there is a list on there of almost all of the rescues and welfare organisations around the country.

Has he been a working dog? if so, he could possibly go to an agility or flyball home, and there is an organisation now in ireland for people that want to do sheepdog trials type competitions, with family pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Ring <snip> and chat to them.
    Better chance of getting unbiased advice.
    The fact of the matter is the dog needs to go, end of.

Edit; ISDW put it better than me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Get him seen by a vet first either way so they can rule out anything more serious. You can contact <snip> or another rescue to see if they can help, a rescue might not be able to take him in straight away but they can put his photo and details on their websites so worth contacting a few rescues in the county you are in.

I think <snip> do that as well - they can advertise your dog before they can take him in, there have several dogs like this on their page. Most likely they would do your vetting for you as well. But please take him to the vet first, so that if you end up rehoming him he has the best chance being in good health.
    <snip>

Good christ, the poor dog is probably unwell and you want to just dump him.

Bring him to the vet first before you do anything else, then take some of the other advice here

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks,
    Much as I know everyone is trying to help this dog, naming of and linking to rescues is not allowed in the forum. If people want to recommend rescues to the OP, please do so by PM.
    Thanks,
    DBB

On a personal note, mod hat off:
    OP, your dog is almost certainly suffering from what could be a painful infection. Please bring him to a vet. Then sort out his new home. You owe him at least that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

OP the general public will have about as much interest in taking care of an older dog in that condition as you lot have, he most likely has no chance of being rehomed. You should bring him to a vet but it sounds like you really don't want anything more to do with the dog. You can try and bring him to a rescue which are staffed by dedicated animal lovers who may keep him and are generally 'no-kill' but it can be difficult to get them in as they are often full, and it sounds like he needs treatment which would be expensive, and they are usually very cash-strapped.

Other shelters like ones that operate as SPCA's accept all animals but are not 'no-kill'. Shelters like this are very important for cases like yours because they never turn an an animal away for any reason. If an owner clearly has no interest in providing proper care or medical treatment for an animal any more, they can surrender it, and if it can't be rehomed, it will be released from it's suffering by being euthanized humanely, which is much more dignified and much less cruel than, for example, being abandoned and left to live in its own excrement because it's no longer useful or too much hassle, etc.

Just trying to be straight with you and not having a go, which is hard, I mean, basically asking how you can dump a sick older dog and wash your hands of all responsibility, but you are finding that rescues are all full and there is not a big market out there for 7 year old dogs that have undiagnosed medical problems causing them to go to the bathroom on the floor all the time. Well then you'll have to just bring him to a shelter, not a rescue, and surrender him there. Yes, he will probably be put to sleep, but if you don't want to take care of him any more that's probably the only option the poor guy has. If you decide to do this, please at least make a donation to the organization.

• Advertisement

sligoface wrote: »
    Not having a go.
    Isnt the op's dog. It's his dads, who's incapable of looking after it.

sligoface wrote: »
    OP the general public will have about as much interest in taking care of an older dog in that condition as you lot have, he most likely has no chance of being rehomed. You should bring him to a vet but it sounds like you really don't want anything more to do with the dog. You can try and bring him to a rescue which are staffed by dedicated animal lovers who may keep him and are generally 'no-kill' but it can be difficult to get them in as they are often full, and it sounds like he needs treatment which would be expensive, and they are usually very cash-strapped.

Other shelters like ones that operate as SPCA's accept all animals but are not 'no-kill'. Shelters like this are very important for cases like yours because they never turn an an animal away for any reason. If an owner clearly has no interest in providing proper care or medical treatment for an animal any more, they can surrender it, and if it can't be rehomed, it will be released from it's suffering by being euthanized humanely, which is much more dignified and much less cruel than, for example, being abandoned and left to live in its own excrement because it's no longer useful or too much hassle, etc.

Just trying to be straight with you and not having a go, which is hard, I mean, basically asking how you can dump a sick older dog and wash your hands of all responsibility, but you are finding that rescues are all full and there is not a big market out there for 7 year old dogs that have undiagnosed medical problems causing them to go to the bathroom on the floor all the time. Well then you'll have to just bring him to a shelter, not a rescue, and surrender him there. Yes, he will probably be put to sleep, but if you don't want to take care of him any more that's probably the only option the poor guy has. If you decide to do this, please at least make a donation to the organization.

I think you are confused - shelters are rescues. The places that you can take a dog and 'dump' it at is a pound, and the dog will probably be killed, but there is nothing humane about it. Yes the dog is given a lethal injection, but with strangers and the smell of death around it, it is not humane. If the op and/or his father can't take care of the dog, and no rescue can take him, then the humane thing would be to take him to the vet and let him go to sleep with people that he knows.

I hear all sorts of excuses why people have to give up their dogs, but there actually are genuine circumstances sometimes, and a parent getting old and suffering ill health, sounds like a genuine one to me.

I hope the op can get the dog the vet treatment that he needs, and that they manage to find a loving home for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

ISDW wrote: »
    I think you are confused - shelters are rescues. The places that you can take a dog and 'dump' it at is a pound, and the dog will probably be killed, but there is nothing humane about it. Yes the dog is given a lethal injection, but with strangers and the smell of death around it, it is not humane. If the op and/or his father can't take care of the dog, and no rescue can take him, then the humane thing would be to take him to the vet and let him go to sleep with people that he knows.

I hear all sorts of excuses why people have to give up their dogs, but there actually are genuine circumstances sometimes, and a parent getting old and suffering ill health, sounds like a genuine one to me.

I hope the op can get the dog the vet treatment that he needs, and that they manage to find a loving home for him.

True, but stating that the dog has to go firstly because he does his business in the house, then secondly because he's too big for a house that there are now less people living in than before, and then finally admitting that no-one wants to look after it is a sign that someone just can't really be arsed. My collie cross is 8, and while he may be classed senior, he is certainly not elderly by any means. Poor doggie :(

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    then finally admitting that no-one wants to look after it is a sign that someone just can't really be arsed. Poor doggie :(

The owner is too old to look after the dog properly. nothing to do with not being arsed. If the op wasn't arsed he wouldnt have come on here for advice on the best way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

Look, the dog only HAS his master, he just want to be inside and loved, thats all, nothing else.

PLEASE KEEP THE DOG and provide him with basic needs. your dad will feel good about it.

OR YOU WILL PROBABLY DO THE IRISH THING GET RID OF THE DOG AND GO TO MASS ON SUNDAY

SICKENING !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

Snip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Tuned out you're kidding yeah? The only reason I'm replying to this post is cos I genuinely dont know if you're being serious or not.

If its true then people like you and your dad are exactly whats wrong with Ireland when it comes to animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Catsup99

Are you serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

time to close this up before it descends into farce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

tunedout wrote: »
    Hi there. We had an old dog that started urinating inside so Dad put some black plastic liners in the boot of his car and drove him about 25 miles from home when he was on his way into the city one day. He left him off in a nice field near there and we didn't see him since. It's much nicer more humane way than just killing the dog. They usually won't find their way home from more than 15/20 miles away I think.

I edited what I had said because I owe more to myself than to respond to this as I had originally.

Suffice to say I hope you never get another dog and I hope that you learned a good lesson from your dad. When he's old and in need of some help and understanding you simply dump him.

Advertisement