Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surrendering pet Dog

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Why are you feeding the troll? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

Snip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

My mothers dog died last saturday morning after 21 years. He was very slow in his last year, but in no pain.

And yes, while formerly being the cleanest dog, he had plenty of accidents.

And do you know what? After the great times all of us had with him, and the company he was to my elderly mother, every morning before work, myself or my wife called in and cleaned up if needed and still gave him a kind word.

A friend in need deserves at least that. Thank god im not the OP or tuned ins pal.

My mothers heartbroken, but the right thing was done and he died peacefully in his sleep. And hes buried under the tree he used to lie under. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

OP, if you are both sure that you can't handle the dog anymore, here's your todo list:

1. Take the dog to the vets and examine his health problems. Dogs are not happy to relieve themselves indoors unless they are ill.
    2. Find a couple of rescues in your area (I'll send you a PM with some addresses but even googling will give you some) and give them a ring about the options for your dog.
    3. They may not have a place immediately, especially not in winter, but you can book ahead and some of them will advertise your dog for you even if he is not currently staying with them.
    4. Hopefully you will get his health under control and a place will become available where he can be fostered and rehomed.

If you take him to a pound at his age he is likely to be killed shortly as the pound is not obliged to keep surrendered dogs for a while as they are for strays.

It's not a shame to have to give a dog up if one's conditions have changed. You just can assure that he is in good hands and healthy, and he's been a friend to you so really you should. People can and do adopt older dogs, but poor health can be a real deterrent.

Edited to add: actually when you take him to the vet, do ask about rescue/foster options in your area. Any half decent vet would have some info on what's going on in terms of animal welfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

tunedout wrote: »
    No need to bring my Dad into it like that it's nothing to do with him, the reason was he had taken a dog to the pound about 2 years before hand and the dog had been still stuck there in a cage for a few months after. thats much crueler to be honest and yet it's seen as a fine solution.

Couldnt manage to take him to the vets and have him PTS with his family around him?

There is no excuse for dumping an animals. Its cowardly and selfish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

tunedout wrote: »
    thats much crueler to be honest and yet it's seen as a fine solution.

It's not seen as a fine solution. The pound is the last place you should bring a dog second to abandoning it in a field where it has no hope. An old possibly sick dog who has been domesticated for however long would have no idea how to fend for itself.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Tunedout banned permanantly from the forum.This is not the place for posts like that.

Everyone else will you ever stop responding to trolls and just report the post.Theres no need to respond to these idiots.The mods will deal with it once its reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Hi op,

Just wondering how you got on in the end?

Advertisement