Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rsj /Knockthrough ideas/advice

Options
  • 28-11-2012 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Im looking to knock through the rear wall of my semi-d for an extension.
    I am going to get a structural engineer to do the calcs and specs . But i was just looking for advice or ideas before i go ahead with my plans.
    I want the Rsj at same level as the joists , i also need another Rsj t-ing off from the one in the rear wall back to an existing wall . This Rsj will support the joists.

so in the photos ive marked where im thinking the Rsj's will go.
    I dont know if the main one should span the entire width of the house .
    The wall is built just with cavity blocks and the roof above is 3 mts or flat roof that leads into a regular roof.

I know the SE will give me all this info but im just seeing if anyone has any imput or advice or alterations to my plans . if interested post away, cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭isup

basic floor plan

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

isup wrote: »
    I dont know if the main one should span the entire width of the house.

Probably, pier between window and door would not offer a great deal of support - alternativley new solid block pier and/or column may need to be introduced. You will also need to incorporate/make provision for mass concrete bearing pads....

....but....

....don't take your advice on here! Get your SE on board a.s.a.p. to advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭isup

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Probably, pier between window and door would not offer a great deal of support - alternativley new solid block pier and/or column may need to be introduced. You will also need to incorporate/make provision for mass concrete bearing pads....

....but....

....don't take your advice on here! Get your SE on board a.s.a.p. to advise.

I will do. yeah i was thinking of rebuilding that in solids and returning it under the window attatching it to the exixting wall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭A fella called fish

As a Structural Enginner I must say I'm frightened by these photos..

The floor (which you've just taken out) provides lateral stability to the wall.

Get your builder to put a minimum of 3 diagonal push/pull props against this wall immediately (or at least replace some of the joists) and engage a local Structural Engineer tomorrow.

Advertisement