Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a SSD - Mount Question

Options
  • 28-11-2012 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Im looking to buy an ssd and think ive decided on the 256gb samsung 830. Only thing is they dont have any of the pc upgrade kit version that come with the mount etc. they only have the basic version left in stock.

http://lb.hardwareversand.de/Solid-State-Disk/56863/Samsung+SSD+830+256GB+SATA+III+Basic.article

Does this come with any sort of 2.5" drive mount for a 3.5" slot. My case is the Thermaltake Kandalf VA9000BWS. Just want to make sure i can actually install this before i buy.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭notGill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

You don't really need a mount tbh. If you are worried about it moving around just tape it down somewhere.
    Sure I have mine just resting on top of my hdd cage!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

notGill wrote: »

Yeah that was the one i seen but they dont have a delivery date for it and seen as the 840 is out now i reckon the 830 will be discontinued soon enough, alot of hardware sites dont even have it listed anymore. So dont want to wait around incase they never get them in again.
    Burgo wrote: »
    You don't really need a mount tbh. If you are worried about it moving around just tape it down somewhere.
    Sure I have mine just resting on top of my hdd cage!

Haha yeah my tower doesnt really move at all squeezed down between my desk and wall doesnt have the room too. Still doh would like to have it secured in some way just in case.

is there anyway i could secure it in these 3.5" cages? which are in my case
    17.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I used velcro. actually at the moment its dangling from its SATA cable.

or this:

lb.hardwareversand.de/Misc./67457/Ultron+UHR-225+Basic+SSD+++HDD+Einbaurahmen.article

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

• Advertisement

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I used velcro. actually at the moment its dangling from its SATA cable.

or this:

lb.hardwareversand.de/Misc./67457/Ultron+UHR-225+Basic+SSD+++HDD+Einbaurahmen.article

cheers mate exactly what im looking for seen something like it else were for 15-20 euro bit steep for a bit of metal ha this will do nicely. Does anyone know if the 830 basic comes with sata power and data cables at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

duct tape would be cheaper and work just as well. ;)

Sata power cables will usually be attached to your PSU Unless it's modular) and the data cable would normally come with the drive, but may not always. they usually supply them with motherboards though, did you not get any? you might want to get a couple of molex to sata power adapters anyway, just in case.

can't hurt to order a couple of both just for future use anyway, they'll always come in handy sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

IgsTer wrote: »
    cheers mate exactly what im looking for seen something like it else were for 15-20 euro bit steep for a bit of metal ha this will do nicely. Does anyone know if the 830 basic comes with sata power and data cables at least.

No, its just the drive. Your PSU most likely has some unused sata cables, best open the machine to check. You can pick up a sata cable cheap:
    http://lb.hardwareversand.de/852/S-ATA.search
    Just make sure the cable you get is long enough, without cluttering the pc.

haha yeah i just dont want to be sitting there one day when my computer starts smoking cause of the tape ha best to play it safe i reckon.

Yeah my psu is modular have just checked and i think theres still one sata power cable in the box so thats sorted, have also found a couple of sata data cables from my old motherboard. Would these work just as good? there probably a couple years old at this stage is there a difference between the older 3Gb sata cables and the 6Gb newer? my motherboard has two 6gb slots. Or would i be best buying the 6Gb sata cable as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

A SATA cable is just a SATA cable (There is no difference between I/II/III in terms of the physical cable itself) so any of those will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

marco_polo wrote: »
    A SATA cable is just a SATA cable (There is no difference between I/II/III in terms of the physical cable itself) so any of those will be fine.
    i was ready to disagree with you after swapping out an old sata cable for a newer one after i got my first ssd and the performance wasn't great and seeing a vast improvement, but after reading this article i reckon it must just have been a dud cable. :)

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/your_sata_cable_slowing_down_your_data_transfers_max_pc_investigates

Advertisement