Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did people think of the Christmas "Festival"?

Options
  • 28-11-2012 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭

What are peoples opinion on the recent Christmas Festival that took place in Balbriggan recently?

We popped down on the Sunday at about 1. Have to say I was really disappointed. Perhaps it picked up after that, but I also heard it was all over by 4pm. Regardless, there were hardly any stalls and not much on offer really - what was there was nice enough, there just wasn't enough variety or buzz about the place.

I know a lot of people who didn't even know about it. There were only signs at the entry roads in Balrothery and M1. I know fliers were supposed to have been put in shops, but as I am out of the town all week I never go into the shops in the town so never saw one.

I think its great that the town council are making an effort - but given the resources they have at their disposal, I think they dropped the ball on this one big time - they really should have made more of the opportunity. I would be interested to see what other people thought of the whole thing?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Id heard that millfield also held its xmas festival the same day and that both clashed, that could be a rumour but its what I heard.

I knew fe*k all about it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

didnt even know it was on.Where was it advertised?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

Had the whole family with me.very disappointing to say the least.very few stalls and no buzz at all.went up to millfield for a look and they had an inflatable Santa grotto.Santa was free to see and the little ones got a huge candy cane each!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

very sad to see two festivals competing with each other, the main town one SHOULD have taken priority and been supported by local businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Morpheus wrote: »
    very sad to see two festivals competing with each other, the main town one SHOULD have taken priority and been supported by local businesses.

It was the chamber of commerce along with the town council who organised the one in the main town, so in fairness I don't know how much more support from local business you can get? If other businesses didn't support I would wonder what incentive there was to encourage them to support it.

I agree that it was a total disappointment and a completely wasted opportunity. Although by all accounts the organisers seem to think it was a roaring success! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Umpalumpa wrote: »
    didnt even know it was on.Where was it advertised?

two placqard signs were at each of the entrances to the town (from balrothery and from exit 6 on the M1). Don't know if there was also one on the Drogheda road into the town.
    I believe there were flyers in the shops in the town at some stage from last week, but again, as I am out of the town weekdays I never have reason to go into any of these shops, so I didn't see them myself. I only knew about it from word of mouth - someone in front of me in the queue in supervalu and mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

The festival /Christmas market was on Sunday while Santa arrived and lights where turned on at 4 in both the town square and millfield.Now I know I wouldrahter Q for santa in a heated shopping centre then the cold of the town.I did the town last year and this year I did milfield.
    The festival/Market was attended by about 2000 pople through out the morning, but yes,I have to agree it was terrible lonly looking.Good effort with music, but it could have been so much more.But like people said you cant make sellers come and buyers will only go if there is something for everyone.I took the kids and went for dinner with the hubbie and two girls after so it was nice in that sense.
    I believe there is something else on, on the 7 of December.
    When I know more Ill post here.
    Cathy

Santa arrived at the square on Saturday evening AFAIK and the lights were officially turned on.
    Then sunday was the market. It was supposed to be from 12 til 6, but I believe it finished at 4 because the weather was bad or something. We passed through the town at 4.30 and it was all done and dusted and the place was empty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 poxman

Unfortunately this is typical of Balbriggan. You have different groups working to different objectives; Millfield, Chamber of Commerce, Town Council and Railway Street traders or something. You wouldnt see the likes in a "Carry On" film. I passed the one on Railway Street on Saturday and I thought they were filming "You've bee Framed". The phrase "Couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery" comes to mind. The same old faces looking to get their mugs in Balbriggan.net/info. Nothing but an ego trip.
    It is terrible that a bit of foresight and planning cant be put into it, spend a few quid and do it properly. I dont think it is brain surgery , other towns in the vicinity can do it.
    Before someone has a go at me I fully appreciate the effort of the stall holders who went to the effort of partaking and standing in the cold all day- They deserve credit.

I agree - the stall holders are not to blame and they were the ones making the most effort. And they put their hands in their pockets to get a stall, so its not like they weren't contributing.

A relative of a friend of mine enquired about getting a stall and was told that they were only allowing a select group of traders as they want it to be high end and quality! She was quizzed on what she would be selling and was asked if she could provide a sample of what she would be selling. In the end, she didn't bother and went and booked a different market that will run every weekend til Christmas because she felt like she was being made to prove herself. What a total joke! don't get me wrong, the traders that were there were grand, but it was far from an upmarket affair!
    poxman wrote: »
    It is terrible that a bit of foresight and planning cant be put into it, spend a few quid and do it properly. I dont think it is brain surgery , other towns in the vicinity can do it.

I think you might also be surprised about just how much money was spent on it. I don't know the specifics, but I would be fairly certain that it wasn't done on a shoestring. I doubt it was about money - it was more about the inability of the organisers. Which given their connections and the resources at their disposal is a total shame.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 poxman

Little Ted , you are completely correct. I would be surprised and disappointed if a considerable amount of money was spent on this. No lights, no atmosphere , no nothing ! Unless they paid that guy on stilts €3,000 for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Dec 7 and 8 I think is when the next market is on, in Georges Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I went through Balbriggan on Saturday evening and there were a few people there is the lashing rain getting the place, my heart went out to them.

How in gods name did these festivals clash? Who let it happen. The one organised for the square should have been given precedence over the the Millfield one. There are a huge amount of clubs in Balbriggan and with a little communication there is no reason why this should not have been a huge success. Could the town council not have called a meeting of all parties and elected a committee from clubs and organizations to help get people back into the square, seeing as they spent money making it look so well..

Advertisement