Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boss is coming to town

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    How many can this venue hold in total?

The capacity is 48,000 for concerts. Planned to go up to 60,000 for same if the upgrade goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

yew_tree wrote: »
    In fairness it is the concert promoters that set the price. Springsteen charges a flat rate for each show. Aiken promotions are the real culprits here

I do believe you are wrong here, various promoters are at pains to state that they do not set the ticket prices, it comes from the artist.

I do believe you are wrong here, various promoters are at pains to state that they do not set the ticket prices, it comes from the artist.

100% correct. The artist sets the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

evilivor wrote: »
    100% correct. The artist sets the price.

Then how come all concerts in Ireland are always way more expensive then in other countries - why do the artists always make their concerts in Ireland more expensive??

leahyl wrote: »
    Then how come all concerts in Ireland are always way more expensive then in other countries - why do the artists always make their concerts in Ireland more expensive??

Because we pay. There is also the logistics issue, and, apparently costs here higher, bust mostly, because we pay the high prices.

This is from the Irish Times when Arcade Fire were gouging fans on their tickets a couple of years ago:

"CANADIAN ROCK band Arcade Fire have taken the unusual step of responding to criticism from Irish fans about prices for their concert in the O2 in December.

Manager Scott Rodger said Arcade Fire would never try to rip off their fans.

Tickets go on pre-sale this morning and are priced between €55.80 and €66.70, but those who buy seating tickets through Ticketmaster will have to pay €73.05.

Mr Rodger responded to a thread on Irish Times music journalist Jim Carroll’s On the Record blog in which fans of the band described the €73 ticket price as “shockingly extortionate”, “the straw that broke the back for a lot of us” and “a herd of bullwinkles”.

They contrasted the prices with those being charged to see the band in the UK – £31.25 (€37.90) in the LG Arena in Birmingham and £34.50 (€42) in the O2 in London on the same tour.

The concert on December 5th here will also feature Vampire Weekend and Devendra Banhart.

Mr Rodger responded by saying that Ireland was an expensive country to get to, as was the UK, but the costs of playing in the UK were defrayed by being in a position to play many shows there (they are doing 10 in the UK).

While Arcade Fire get to control the price of the ticket, he said they could not control the fees charged by Ticketmaster. He urged fans to buy tickets at the lowest possible price from the band’s website. The tickets go on general release on Friday.

Mr Rodger said they aimed to give value for the money in Dublin by paying Vampire Weekend, a major act in their own right, a “real fee” while absorbing what they could within the ticket price.

He pointed out that they also donated the entire fee of $1 million (€775,000) from several recent shows to charity to help earthquake victims in Haiti.

He also took the step of asking fans to e-mail him with their observations about ticket prices.

“I’d be happy to talk with anyone about this as the band are not in any way attempting to rip off their fans, they

• Advertisement

Because we pay. There is also the logistics issue, and, apparently costs here higher, bust mostly, because we pay the high prices.

This is from the Irish Times when Arcade Fire were gouging fans on their tickets a couple of years ago:

"CANADIAN ROCK band Arcade Fire have taken the unusual step of responding to criticism from Irish fans about prices for their concert in the O2 in December.

Manager Scott Rodger said Arcade Fire would never try to rip off their fans.

Tickets go on pre-sale this morning and are priced between €55.80 and €66.70, but those who buy seating tickets through Ticketmaster will have to pay €73.05.

Mr Rodger responded to a thread on Irish Times music journalist Jim Carroll’s On the Record blog in which fans of the band described the €73 ticket price as “shockingly extortionate”, “the straw that broke the back for a lot of us” and “a herd of bullwinkles”.

They contrasted the prices with those being charged to see the band in the UK – £31.25 (€37.90) in the LG Arena in Birmingham and £34.50 (€42) in the O2 in London on the same tour.

The concert on December 5th here will also feature Vampire Weekend and Devendra Banhart.

Mr Rodger responded by saying that Ireland was an expensive country to get to, as was the UK, but the costs of playing in the UK were defrayed by being in a position to play many shows there (they are doing 10 in the UK).

While Arcade Fire get to control the price of the ticket, he said they could not control the fees charged by Ticketmaster. He urged fans to buy tickets at the lowest possible price from the band’s website. The tickets go on general release on Friday.

Mr Rodger said they aimed to give value for the money in Dublin by paying Vampire Weekend, a major act in their own right, a “real fee” while absorbing what they could within the ticket price.

He pointed out that they also donated the entire fee of $1 million (€775,000) from several recent shows to charity to help earthquake victims in Haiti.

He also took the step of asking fans to e-mail him with their observations about ticket prices.

“I’d be happy to talk with anyone about this as the band are not in any way attempting to rip off their fans, they

So Ticketmaster add on extra fees.....that seems to be the main problem from what I can see. But you're right, we're an awful pack of eejits for paying the money in the first place (I'll be paying it for Bruce:o even though it is pretty extortionate).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Because we pay. There is also the logistics issue, and, apparently costs here higher,

Mr Rodger responded by saying that....
    So Ticketmaster add on extra fees.....that seems to be the main problem from what I can see. But you're right, we're an awful pack of eejits for paying the money in the first place (I'll be paying it for Bruce:o even though it is pretty extortionate).

IIRC Ticketmaster charge somewhere between €3-5 for Tickets to the consumer. They also charge the promoter around a Euro. In my opinion they're perfectly justified in doing this as they're also in the business of making a few bob and they do give the best service of all the ticket companies. Admittedly their pricing policies are a bit harsh if you're buying a few tickets and I'd prefer if they had a sliding scale depending on how many you're buying but I'd imagine that it would be a nightmare for them to manage
    Personally i think that it's a bit rich to blame TM for extortionate prices - particularly for bands/management to make reference to it - especially when their cut is the lowest by a long shot of those that are making money from that same ticket !!

Ultimately it's the promoter that sets the price but this is based on how much the act is charging as well as how much the promoters set-up costs are. (Venue hire, Gardai, Security, Stage /Production area, Transport, Accommodation & Food for their own crew, fencing & barriers and a host of other costs, particularly for one off shows). Bear in mind that it's also the promoter taking the risk if a show doesn't sell so they'll make hay on the ones that they know are 'bankers'.

I spoke to one of the crews travelling with Rihanna about this whole thing when they played in The O2 a couple of years ago. One point that they made was the on the subject of costs. They come to Ireland and hotel prices shoot up. The artist tries to book a hotel and it's at a premium rate so they end up scattered in cheaper hotels or sleeping in the trucks. They play in Europe and they stay in the best of hotels as they drop their prices to try to entice the artists and crew to stay with them. Typically, the Irish are constantly trying to make a buck from everything. Artists and their management know this and so that's all factored into their fee to cover their costs while they're here.

Back on topic... Looking forward to seeing this show. I've seen him half a dozen times and he's superb live. For anyone that hasn't seen his show, make sure to do so if you can afford it. You won't regret it!!

IIRC Ticketmaster charge somewhere between €3-5 for Tickets to the consumer. They also charge the promoter around a Euro. In my opinion they're perfectly justified in doing this as they're also in the business of making a few bob and they do give the best service of all the ticket companies. Admittedly their pricing policies are a bit harsh if you're buying a few tickets and I'd prefer if they had a sliding scale depending on how many you're buying but I'd imagine that it would be a nightmare for them to manage
    Personally i think that it's a bit rich to blame TM for extortionate prices - particularly for bands/management to make reference to it - especially when their cut is the lowest by a long shot of those that are making money from that same ticket !!

Ultimately it's the promoter that sets the price but this is based on how much the act is charging as well as how much the promoters set-up costs are. (Venue hire, Gardai, Security, Stage /Production area, Transport, Accommodation & Food for their own crew, fencing & barriers and a host of other costs, particularly for one off shows). Bear in mind that it's also the promoter taking the risk if a show doesn't sell so they'll make hay on the ones that they know are 'bankers'.

I spoke to one of the crews travelling with Rihanna about this whole thing when they played in The O2 a couple of years ago. One point that they made was the on the subject of costs. They come to Ireland and hotel prices shoot up. The artist tries to book a hotel and it's at a premium rate so they end up scattered in cheaper hotels or sleeping in the trucks. They play in Europe and they stay in the best of hotels as they drop their prices to try to entice the artists and crew to stay with them. Typically, the Irish are constantly trying to make a buck from everything. Artists and their management know this and so that's all factored into their fee to cover their costs while they're here.

Back on topic... Looking forward to seeing this show. I've seen him half a dozen times and he's superb live. For anyone that hasn't seen his show, make sure to do so if you can afford it. You won't regret it!!

Thanks for that - this has to be the case, it's all down to this rip off country at the end of the day! The artist sets the price and then the promoter takes the piss!

I'm looking forward to seeing Bruce - will be my first time; I don't claim to be his biggest fan but I do like some of his stuff so looking forward to it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

hey lads i booked the ambassador hotel for the boss concert, the reviews looked very good, we've never been to cork before, so can i ask is this hotel central to the city and to the concert, hopefully not to far to walk to after a few drinkies :D

hey lads i booked the ambassador hotel for the boss concert, the reviews looked very good, we've never been to cork before, so can i ask is this hotel central to the city and to the concert, hopefully not to far to walk to after a few drinkies :D

It's not in the city centre and is a good old walk up to it from town. You'd be better of getting a cab.

• Advertisement

It's not in the city centre and is a good old walk up to it from town. You'd be better of getting a cab.

great :(, is it far from the centre, can anybody recommend anything in the centre

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

yeah it's a good half hour walk, if not more, up a big mad hill too

Roar wrote: »
    yeah it's a good half hour walk, if not more, up a big mad hill too

Thanks might look for some place more closer to the city now, didnt think it was that far away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

If you can get a room I would say the Clarion is a better bet, much closer to the venue and all the better bars in the City centre.

If you can get a room I would say the Clarion is a better bet, much closer to the venue and all the better bars in the City centre.

tried there its fairly expensive compared to what i got, what about the gresham metropole hotel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

tried there its fairly expensive compared to what i got, what about the gresham metropole hotel?

Metropole is ok, an extra 5 min walk, can be a little rough around there but not bad hotel.

I just checked the Clarion €200 a night is a bit saucy, if I was coming down and staying 2 nights I would give them a buzz about this deal http://www.clarionhotelcorkcity.com/special-offers/penthouse-sale-of-the-century.aspx

I have stayed in the Penthouse a few times prob the best hotel room in Cork, and only an extra €45 a night if staying 2 nights, don't be surprised if its gone but well worth it if you can get it.

The Penthouse includes full kitchen so can save a bit on eating out.

Metropole is fine and a good bit closer to town than the Ambassador - Hotel Isaacs is another option just across from there.

The Imperial is worth looking at too as it's right in the city centre too.

Hotels.com have the Clarion for €120 vs €89 for the Ambassador - you'd nearly save the difference on cabs - it's also a very reasonable walk to Páirc Uí Chaoimh from there or the Imperial.

The Imperial is €109 or there is Lancaster Lodge - city too, but not quite as centre, for €79, it's a bit of a stroll from the venue but not a bad walk from the main drag for bars etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Want to go to it in the Pairc.. I'm guessing the ticketmaster in merchants quay will be the best place to que and get the tickets tomorrow morning? ( not able to book online - no visa )

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

Re Hotels, the hotels that are located within the city or within a 10 min walk, are the imperial, the metrapole, jury's inn, the river Lee, Lancaster lodge, Maldon, clarion, other hotels that are within a €10 taxi ride are, rochestown park, hayfield manor, travel lodge, ammbasidor, montonotte, silver springs, if your stuck there are a few more that would be about €15~18 taxi fare including the maryborough, airport international, Vienna woods, and of course there are many guest houses and b+b's

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Been so long since I have been at a concert that I had forgotten what a ****E site ticketmaster is :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Re Hotels..I'd stick with The Ambassador if I were you.
    It's a 10 minute walk from the Metropole (albeit up a hill). IMO it's a better and friendlier hotel than the Metropole and definitely cheaper than some of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Spindle wrote: »

I wonder what size the crowd will be?? Surely no more than 15,000??
    I would hope and imagine a lot more than 15,000 will be there. Just got 2 tickets. Ticketmaster kept me waiting 15 minutes.

My friend has been queueing since 9am outside Pro Musica.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Newtown90

My friend has been queueing since 9am outside Pro Musica.....

I qued in merchants quay from 7! Got my tickets at half 9... Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing!:D:D

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    I qued in merchants quay from 7! Got my tickets at half 9... Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing!:D:D

Standing tickets still available on Ticketmaster as of now. Limerick and Belfast shows both sold out.

Glenviewjf wrote: »

Yeah my friend got them eventually anyway yay!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Just got 2 tickets off ticketmaster website, might still be some available if people check it up.

Got 2 tickets this morning for the uncovered stand.
    Question though...I got block H which from the seating plan on ticketmaster is away from stage:

14060s_a.jpg

However a quick google image search threw up a couple of slightly diffferent seating plans which say block H would actually be quite near the stage. e.g

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbnokIgkox0yn_WejC-ySqKrYhJX-9cEbH_H54oy82OEolFBDMug

Doesn't really matter either way, but was the plan on ticketmaster wrong or have they changed the naming at some point?

Also....looks like Cork has sold out now also along with the 2 other venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

I'm in block H myself and would assume that the Ticketmaster plan is the correct one for the concert. Also got myself a standing pitch ticket as a backup so I'm not too pushed either way,I'm not sure if it's possible but I'm hoping I can divide my time between the two as the mood strikes.

• Advertisement

Remember splitting my time at the U2 ZooTV concert there years ago between the pitch and the uncovered stand alright. Seriously doubt it would be allowed now...Health and safety and all that!

Advertisement