Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence {MEGAMERGE}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

So if I got caught for not having a license, and it went to trial, then what? They seize my computer, go through my history, see my usernames?

I'm not following your train of thought.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Websites have to provide any information they have on you on foot of a request from the Gardaí so there's no need for An Post to even wait until they get to trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

So if I got caught for not having a license, and it went to trial, then what? They seize my computer, go through my history, see my usernames?

I'm not following your train of thought.
    They don't need to do any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Every time you post, your IP address is logged.

Gardai approach boards.ie and ask for the IP address you are posting from.

Gardai approach your ISP with the IP address, and request all account information associated with said IP address. The account holder's name and address pop up.

BOOM, you're screwed.

Yeah but why would they approach boards.ie??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

For what reason?

So you are telling me that a guard will see randomer posting that they do not have a TV licence.
    The Gardai will approach boards.ie and ask for the IP address you are posting from.
    But first they will need a court order.
    Gardai will then approach your ISP with the IP address and a court order, and request all account information associated with said IP address.

Meanwhile in the real world.......

• Advertisement

This thread is comedy gold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Your tax dollars at work my friends. An imported show over a live chance to pose questions at the leader of the nation.

RTE postpones live interview with Taoiseach for... 'significant' Eastenders episode

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/rte-postpones-live-interview-with-taoiseach-for-significant-eastenders-episode-31006545.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Give an post an IP address and they'll probably put it into a sat nav to try and find you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Dreamland is right.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The Gardaí only have to make a request to boards.ie for all the information they have. This doesn't just include an IP address, does it? There's no need for a court order, they just need to request it and they get it.

Genuinely, I'm surprised how slow people are to recognise that they're not anonymous just because they call themselves madlad2009 or whatever.

How many professional lawyers have to say this before it's no longer comedy gold? :rolleyes:

The Gardaí only have to make a request to boards.ie for all the information they have.

For a TV licence?

The Gardaí only have to make a request to boards.ie for all the information they have. This doesn't just include an IP address, does it? There's no need for a court order, they just need to request it and they get it.

Genuinely, I'm surprised how slow people are to recognise that they're not anonymous just because they call themselves madlad2009 or whatever.

How many professional lawyers have to say this before it's no longer comedy gold? :rolleyes:

You're confused there.

It's not about being anonymous, it's about contacting boards for info easier got elsewhere.
    Its not a murder trial or a paeodo ring online, it's a TV licence fee at a fixed address.
    That indeed is comedy gold in your post .

Everyone thinks they're living in de real wurruld until they get a knock on the door with a summons.

Do you not understand how seriously people with a small bit of authority take that slice of authority?

Everyone thinks they're living in de real wurruld until they get a knock on the door with a summons.

Do you not understand how seriously people with a small bit of authority take that slice of authority?

OK, explain what way anyone has had a TV licence summons delivered, based on boards postings?

What did they post which got them this summons?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

The point isn't necessarily that they *would* do it, it's that they *could* do it, and easily.

So, hypothetically, someone is up in court for non-payment of the TV licence and uses the "TV modified to monitor" defence.

An Post's barrister, knowing such a case is coming up and being a Legal Discussion regular, remembers this thread and puts in the relevant request, the result of which proves that User X planned and boasted about their intent to commit perjury in an attempt to evade the licence fee.

It's not comedy or beyond the bounds of possibility. I once caught out a student who claimed he was going to a conference, but was in fact off on a skiing trip. Admittedly he used both my real name and a poor derivative of his own, and explicitly asked on Boards whether he could get away with it on the same day he asked for an extension, but the point remains:

You never know who's on Boards...

• Advertisement

fxotoole wrote: »
    Every time you post, your IP address is logged.

Gardai approach boards.ie and ask for the IP address you are posting from.

Gardai approach your ISP with the IP address, and request all account information associated with said IP address. The account holder's name and address pop up.

BOOM, you're screwed.

How? Explain exactly how.

A house with fixed address has no licence.

They have to do more than approach boards and get IP address, to match that address with a house address. A house addres that is there for all to see already.

So what is boards posts going to tell them?

The point isn't necessarily that they *would* do it, it's that they *could* do it, and easily.

So, hypothetically, someone is up in court for non-payment of the TV licence and uses the "TV modified to monitor" defence.

An Post's barrister, knowing such a case is coming up and being a Legal Discussion regular, remembers this thread and puts in the relevant request, the result of which proves that User X planned and boasted about their intent to commit perjury in an attempt to evade the licence fee.

It's not comedy or beyond the bounds of possibility. I once caught out a student who claimed he was going to a conference, but was in fact off on a skiing trip. Admittedly he used both my real name and a poor derivative of his own, and explicitly asked on Boards whether he could get away with it on the same day he asked for an extension, but the point remains:

You never know who's on Boards...

Yea, and they could set up a 24 hour a day surveillance of the TV licence suspect too. Or bug his house, send in a spy...

As for the request for details from boards, how do they link IP address to house address, more requests from internet providers I'd say. Not quite as simple as just asking boards.
    I doubt this is going to happen for TV licences. And so that's where this thread is comedy gold, because it's a TV licence thread, not a thread about tracing internet posters being possible.

Also, An Post's barrister doesn't know "such a case is coming up" because they won't know that's my defence until the minute I show up in court.

Some people watching too much CSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Also, An Post's barrister doesn't know "such a case is coming up" because they won't know that's my defence until the minute I show up in court.

Some people watching too much CSI.

She/He'll be aware of the previous successful defence and be prepared for it and variations?

What, you think these guys just turn up without preparation?

Again, it's not what they will do, it's what the *could* do, if for whatever reason they decided to make an example of someone.

They turned up without preparation before.

And even being prepared for it, doesn't mean it's not a proper defense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭DraganGTD

I am using 50" TV as an external monitor for the laptop to browse net and watch youtube videos and yeah still have to pay licence :(

They turned up without preparation before.

And even being prepared for it, doesn't mean it's not a proper defense.

It's not a proper defence, you're lying to the Court. That's perjury.

But they don't know that

mikom wrote: »
    So you are telling me that a guard will see randomer posting that they do not have a TV licence.
    The Gardai will approach boards.ie and ask for the IP address you are posting from.
    But first they will need a court order.
    Gardai will then approach your ISP with the IP address and a court order, and request all account information associated with said IP address.

Meanwhile in the real world.......
    We were actually discussing evidence to support a potential perjury conviction.

• Advertisement

But they don't know that
    They will once we send them this thread and they will be on to the rouse. :D

Advertisement