Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence {MEGAMERGE}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Thats funny as our flat screen isnt saorview so we cant recieve the digital signal yet we have to pay for a license.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Evolution1 wrote: »
    Thats funny as our flat screen isnt saorview so we cant recieve the digital signal yet we have to pay for a license.

If it has cable, satellite or aerial connections then it is capable of receiving and exhibiting broadcasting services. The law does not say it actually has to be doing so, merely that it is capable of doing so.

A monitor with DVI and HDMI only slips past the outdated law, which is why they're changing it. Robbery but the law is the law.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

how can they obtain it?

a search warrant?

So what evidence do they need and how can they obtain it?

Section 146 of the Broadcasting Act 2009 states they may enter a premises in order to ascertain whether there is a TV there.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Section 146 of the Broadcasting Act 2009 states they may enter a premises in order to ascertain whether there is a TV there.

How often does this happen would you say?

DO the come up to the door with a swat team and bust the door open?

• Advertisement

How often does this happen would you say?

DO the come up to the door with a swat team and bust the door open?

Yeah, Garda ARU usually attends and deploys flashbangs before the inspectors enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

no wonder all us young people are leaving... im off to collect my buckets of rainwater (theyll tax that soon enough)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 NewinDub

This is such a bummer. We don't even have a contract with upc or sky to get the channels. We only have it for the xbox or hook it on the laptop really... Got a letter but was only addressed to the flat

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Has the licensing not changed to now include any device capable of connecting to the internet (ie a smartphone, tablet, laptop etc)? Or is that only on the way in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Hasn't changed yet, but is on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Sorry to hijack this thread but I suspect it's run it's course it it's current form (sorry OP if you disagree and I'll butt out) but am I wrong in wondering if Secion 146 is constitutional (I'd link it but I'm at work on a browser used by the Romans).

It seems a bit suspect (to me) based on the usual concerns in issuing a search warrant.

I will add that I think Freeman are idiots and I've nothing against the TV licence people doing their job.

146.— (1) An issuing agent may appoint persons to be officers of the issuing agent for the purposes of this Part.
    (2) A person appointed under subsection (1) shall, on his or her appointment be furnished by the issuing agent with a certificate of his or her appointment and when exercising a power conferred by subsection (3) shall, if requested by any person thereby affected, produce such certificate to that person for inspection.
    (3) An officer of an issuing agent may enter at any reasonable time any premises or specified place for the purposes of ascertaining whether there is a television set there and a television licence is for the time being in force in respect of the premises or specified place authorising the keeping of a television set at the premises or specified place.
    (4) An officer of an issuing agent may request any person on the premises or at the place where he or she finds a television set or evidence of such to produce the television licence for the time being in force in respect of the premises or specified place for inspection by the officer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Yeah, Garda ARU usually attends and deploys flashbangs before the inspectors enter.

It's like something you'd see on a (licensed) TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Why not just pay the bloody licence? Far too much time and energy wasted in trying to avoid the charges if you ask me. At the end of the day, it's the law that you have one, and let's face it - it's cheaper to pay the E160 than it is to pay any potential fine for not having the licence.

You can buy E4 stamps at the Post Office - get one every week and the licence is paid for within 3 months - Simples!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Why not just pay the bloody licence? Far too much time and energy wasted in trying to avoid the charges if you ask me. At the end of the day, it's the law that you have one, and let's face it - it's cheaper to pay the E160 than it is to pay any potential fine for not having the licence.

You can buy E4 stamps at the Post Office - get one every week and the licence is paid for within 3 months - Simples!

Is 12×4 not 48. How is that the licence paid for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Is 12×4 not 48. How is that the licence paid for?

Sorry - typo. It'll be 6 months, or thereabouts. The point remains though...I find it easier to get a couple of stamps every fortnight, rather than pay the robbing gits E160 in a lump sum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

That's fine if you want to. However, many posts seem to be people who do not need a TV licence, have the opportunity to declare this fact to the inspectors but decide that don't want to play ball. If you don't need a licence just tell "the man" and get on with life.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

I have had a run in with the TV License Inspector in the past asking me did I have a tv,
    Now I do not have a tv or radio in the house, Yet I have received another demand for €160 this time they have my name on the letter. I have been told the same as the OP that they could get a warrant and enter,

Now if they do get a warrant and enter my home only to find that i do not have an apparatus can I Claim ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I have had a run in with the TV License Inspector in the past asking me did I have a tv,
    Now I do not have a tv or radio in the house, Yet I have received another demand for €160 this time they have my name on the letter. I have been told the same as the OP that they could get a warrant and enter,

Now if they do get a warrant and enter my home only to find that i do not have an apparatus can I Claim ?.

Claim what? Compensation? For what?

• Advertisement

Well I have informer them that I Do Not have an Apparatus.
    Why are they threatening to Invade My Home,?
    Idle curiosity.?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Idle curiosity.?

Maybe they dont believe you? Blame the thousands of people who lie to them on a monthly basis...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Idle curiosity.?

Are you sure that you have had no TV either now or in the recent past?

http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/88960496

http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/88868693

http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/89046874

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

bar.jpg?w=300&h=277

Are you sure that you have had no TV either now or in the recent past?

For that address their is a tv License in place and has been since 1974.

At this address I have No Apparatus & never had. I do have Upc phone + BB.

They have been informed of same, So If the said Inspector gets his warrant & enters my home, can I Claim ?

Even the fact that they are threatening legal action I find shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

For that address their is a tv License in place and has been since 1974.

At this address I have No Apparatus & never had. I do have Upc phone + BB.

They have been informed of same, So If the said Inspector gets his warrant & enters my home, can I Claim ?

Even the fact that they are threatening legal action I find shocking.

As Grolschevik asked, claim what? If he gets a warrant he must have convinced a judge that it is justified, and once the warrant is issued he has lawful power of entry.
    Why do you find it shocking that an Inspector who is tasked with checking compliance with the law would do his job and take legal steps to verify whether or not there is a unlicenced TV on the premises?

slimjimmc wrote: »
    As Grolschevik asked, claim what? If he gets a warrant he must have convinced a judge that it is justified, and once the warrant is issued he has lawful power of entry.
    Why do you find it shocking that an Inspector who is tasked with checking compliance with the law would do his job and take legal steps to verify whether or not there is a unlicenced TV on the premises?

I find it shocking, that a law abiding citizen can be threatened with legal action. The Inspector's has been told their is no Apparatus yet they still call to the door, letters in post all saying the same €160 or court/fines/prison ect,

So he/she makes an accusations to a judge that X has an unlicenced Apparatus, When X infact has no Apparatus = False accusations.

Does a person not have an implied the right to privacy ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,426 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Does a person not have an implied the right to privacy ?.
    But not an absolute right of privacy. There are other rights and interests at stake here which have to be balanced. If you had a gas or electricity meter indoors - and this is not uncommon - you woulnd't expect the gas company or the electricity company to have to take your word for it that you hadn't consumed any gas or electricity, would you?

If you find it shocking that TV licence inspectors can get warrants to enter premises, then your shock threshhold must be fairly low. I don't find this in the least suprising; I think it's very much to be expected. Can you not see the obvious flaw in a licencing system which contains no mechanism for verifying the claims of those who say that they have no apparatus?

I have an esb meter outside in a white box, In fact we made sure of that when we got the house re-wired that was 15 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,426 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I have an esb meter outside in a white box, In fact we made sure of that when we got the house re-wired that was 15 years ago.
    And that's a standard building code requirement now, if only because in so many households all the adults work, so it is difficult for meter readers to gain access. Even if you had not insisted on it, your electrician probably would have. But there are still plenty of older buildings where the meter is indoors.

Advertisement