Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence {MEGAMERGE}

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭The Rabbit

For that address their is a tv License in place and has been since 1974.

At this address I have No Apparatus & never had. I do have Upc phone + BB.

They have been informed of same, So If the said Inspector gets his warrant & enters my home, can I Claim ?

Even the fact that they are threatening legal action I find shocking.

Of course you can't make a fcuking claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Ok, ok... cool your jets.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I find it shocking, that a law abiding citizen can be threatened with legal action. The Inspector's has been told their is no Apparatus yet they still call to the door, letters in post all saying the same €160 or court/fines/prison ect,

So he/she makes an accusations to a judge that X has an unlicenced Apparatus, When X infact has no Apparatus = False accusations.

Does a person not have an implied the right to privacy ?.

Why would/should the inspector take your word for it that you dont have a TV? Nearly every house in the country has one; from the inspectors point of view its much more likely that you are lying to them than it is that you are telling the truth, and Im sure they get lied to dozens of times a day.

Its not a great situation and its a bit of a poxy system, but for the sake of an easy life just let the guy in for two minutes, show him that there is no TV and they will be off your back. Much easier than getting court ordered warrants forcing you to allow an inspection...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

I moved to an apartment in the past and got the same kind of letter. The tv didn't even work to receive a signal, but we were told we'd still have to pay. Got the landlord to remove the television, then rang the TV Licence Inspectors to tell them we didn't have a television. When the inspector called, she asked if she could have a look, popped her head around the door of the sitting room, saw we didn't have one and that was the end of it.

If you have a television, pay your licence. If you don't, just let them look. It's much easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I'd safely say that for every premises that has not got a television, there are multiples that have televisions and no licence. It makes perfect sense for an inspector to assume that you don't have one and wish to check, if needs be by the hard way. If it were me then I'd do it the easy way as well.
    djimi wrote: »
    Why would/should the inspector take your word for it that you dont have a TV? Nearly every house in the country has one; from the inspectors point of view its much more likely that you are lying to them than it is that you are telling the truth, and Im sure they get lied to dozens of times a day.

Its not a great situation and its a bit of a poxy system, but for the sake of an easy life just let the guy in for two minutes, show him that there is no TV and they will be off your back. Much easier than getting court ordered warrants forcing you to allow an inspection...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

I moved to an apartment in the past and got the same kind of letter. The tv didn't even work to receive a signal, but we were told we'd still have to pay. Got the landlord to remove the television, then rang the TV Licence Inspectors to tell them we didn't have a television. When the inspector called, she asked if she could have a look, popped her head around the door of the sitting room, saw we didn't have one and that was the end of it.

If you have a television, pay your licence. If you don't, just let them look. It's much easier!

Could you take the TV out - invite them round let them in and when they leave put TV back in? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Could you take the TV out - invite them round let them in and when they leave put TV back in? :rolleyes:

Or how about paying the bloody licence like a responsible member of society?:rolleyes:

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Obviously this is one of the most idiotic things anyone could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

fxotoole wrote: »
    Or how about paying the bloody licence like a responsible member of society?:rolleyes:

If the government chased the right people for taxes they wouldn't have to levy more and more taxes on people with little means!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

If the government chased the right people for taxes they wouldn't have to levy more and more taxes on people with little means!

Except in this case they are; a licence on somebody who chooses to own a television.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭The Rabbit

Except in this case they are; a licence on somebody who chooses to own a television.

Correct for the time being.

I really resent the fact that they think I'll be watching RTE on my phone.

I'd like a little credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

You don't invite them round, they call. And they'll call again the next year to check.

Just buy the licence or go without a tv. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭frostypants

Just make it subscription based and be done with it. Obviously RTE wouldn't do that but a subscription and advertisement revenue should be good enough for them.

Soon enough I suppose it will be a charge on every household but I'd rather it be hidden in general taxation so all these type of threads would be history :) but also it would make me forget I'm contributing to the ****e that's on RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Just make it subscription based and be done with it. Obviously RTE wouldn't do that but a subscription and advertisement revenue should be good enough for them.

I can just imagine RTÉ trying to pull in the viewers with shows such as Fair City and Mrs. Brown's Boys, and staff such as Marty Morrissey and Marty Whelan.

RTÉ didn't even make money from Love/Hate. I haven't watched it, but it's supposed to be excellent, and has sold around the world apparently.

Personally, I'd like to see the whole place shut down. RTÉ isn't worth paying for, in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Bepolite wrote: »
    but am I wrong in wondering if Section 146 is constitutional (I'd link it but I'm at work on a browser used by the Romans).

It seems a bit suspect (to me) based on the usual concerns in issuing a search warrant.

The thing is, what does right of entry mean in this context?

I don't see that there are any consequences if an Inspector is refused access. They can demand to be let in and cite s.146, but I don't think it is reasonable to assume that an Inspector can take any steps to overcome the householder's refusal.

Only if the Inspector does have such a right, could a constitutional question arise. But at this stage, s.146 seems to me like a pretty redundant provision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

well, Would you not just pay for the license like most of the country, or pay for court fees or fine up to €1000 or inprisonment???

This post has been deleted.
    Right, which overcomes the constitutional objection.

s.146 is pretty much an empty threat which will probably never be litigated because it appears unenforceable in itself.

Not that this is an excuse for someone not to buy a TV licence. Some people will just never pay their fair share, we probably just need to accept that and not dwell on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Personally, I'd like to see the whole place shut down. RTÉ isn't worth paying for, in my view.

You cant fault their sports coverage in fairness. Not sure its worth €180 (or whatever the license costs) for that alone but credit where its due its very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

How many times has one to declare they've no TV set, which they don't?

Should one declaration not be enough or is this something they need declared every 2 years?
    3rd letter arrived now in 6 years, addressed to the same person who always declares there is no TV there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Only a few more to come in before the broadcasting charge comes in

VEN wrote: »
    3rd letter arrived now in 6 years, addressed to the same person who always declares there is no TV there
    3 letters in 6 years?

Is it really such a burden to sign the form once every two years?

S.147 of the Broadcasting Act 2009
    147.— (1) An officer of an issuing agent may, if and whenever he or she thinks proper so to do, cause a special notice in writing (accompanied by or having annexed to it a form of declaration) to be given personally to, or be served by registered post on, any person requiring that person, within 28 days after the service of the notice on him or her—
    (a) to state on the form of declaration such one or more of the matters mentioned below as specified in the notice,

(b) to sign and otherwise complete the declaration, and

(c) to give it or send it by post to a specified officer of the issuing agent.

[…]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Well the state seems to have a get-out clause for behaviour that might be deemed commercial harassment in other endeavours when collecting tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 rvtkruys

First of all, I know this is and will be a subject that knows no end. It's rather sad, really, but here it is.

I came here to Ireland, to get re-acquainted with TV Licenses. It felt like going back in time and back to the stone age. I am not bothered with the TV License at all. But more with who is enforcing it. So, I was researching on the concept they called "TV License". Because conveniently enough, like being available for the working man (men and woman alike). They don't explain what or why the TV License.

Quote: "A television licence (or broadcast receiving licence) is an official record of payment required in many countries for the reception of television broadcasts, or the possession of a television set where some broadcasts are funded in full or in part by the licence fee paid. The licence is sometimes also required to own a radio or receive radio broadcasts. A TV licence is therefore a hypothecated tax for the purpose of funding public broadcasting, thus allowing public broadcasters to transmit television programmes without, or with only supplemental, funding from radio and television advertisements."

Now, that being said. Why is An Post the one collecting this fee or tax? And why not (ahummm...) the Irish Revenue? That is what I am used too. For your information, I am coming from The Netherlands. And get this:

Quote: "With the plan to abolish the licence fee in 2000 due to the excessive collection costs and in order to pay for public television from government funds, income tax was increased in the late 1990s and maximum run time of commercial breaks was extended to 5 and 7 minutes."

Remember, when you are watching a movie and it gets interrupted constantly because of those commercials? That is why we abolish it and included in our Income Tax. Every broadcaster is earning money from the commercials and gets funding from the government. Even the public broadcasters.

If, when confirmed, the public broadcaster is part of the Public Service. The government (but they won't) should include the TV License into the Income Tax.

Quote: "The Irish tax system is primarily in place to pay for current expenditure programs, such as universal free education, taxpayer funded healthcare, social welfare payments such as old age pensions and unemployment benefit and public capital expenditure, such as the National Development Plan and to pay for the Public Service."

Tip:
    1) Whenever a representative of An Post (or a debt collector, for that matter), just invite him in. :) But remember, lock your door and windows. You are responsible for the safety of your guests in your home.
    2) A warrant to search your house, does give them the right to enter your home. Always cooperate, do not resist. But read the warrant carefully and check if it states, if you are obligated to let them out.

My apologies for the large amount of text.

With kind regards,
    Roland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

rvtkruys wrote: »
    2) A warrant to search your house, does give them the right to enter your home. Always cooperate, do not resist. But read the warrant carefully and check if it states, if you are obligated to let them out.

That's just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Hello I'm from the tv license department.

Close door in face.

Problem solved forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Hello I'm a guard serving a warrant on behalf of the TV licence inspector.

Forever ain't as long as it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

I would have thought that once every year would be reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Don't answer the door to the guards.

Problem solved again forever.

They are not going to break down your door to check you have a tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,428 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

In the real world, guards serving warrants do not become discouraged if a knock or the door goes unanswered. They have strategies for dealing with that eventuality which do not include going away and forgetting about the whole business.

Advertisement