Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DEATH WISH !!

• 28-11-2012 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hey folks,

Has anybody noticed a recent increase in suicidal tendencies in other (namely cars/buses/vans etc) users in Dublin? The reason I ask is I am just recovering from a quite shocking journey on my trusty GS1200 in to the city today, and return.:eek:

I live near Maynooth, so its a rather boring trip normally on the M4/N4, and today being freezing, although the road was mainly dry, I was being extra vigilant, watching for shiny or wet patches ahead....so...

1. Passing by Woodies at Lucan, in the middle lane (of three) due to the heavy flow on my left, as we climb the small incline towards the Liffey Valley off ramp, a Bus Eireann inter city thingy passes at speed in the outer lane then, without indicating changes to the centre, then the inside lane....brake lights all round, and I end up testing my ABS, it works just fine.

2. Nearing the Sth Circular Road intersection opposite the Memorial Gardens, I get in the right lane along with other traffic, intending turning right when I pass through the lights. As I slowly pass through the lights, keeping distance from the car in front, "white van man" cuts in from my left, arm waving out the window as he does so. Again I'm on the ABS. I can't get around him to give him a piece of my mind, and lose him as I have to keep going...

3. Still heading for Christ Church, passing by St James St Hospital, along side the Luas track, I have filtered gingerly to the head of the line, when a taxi speeds down the empty Luas track (I saw him coming behind me in my mirror) past the line of queuing traffic and dives in at the top of the line, inches in front of me! WTF?

Now I'm no angel, but is it a free for all out there?...or am I getting paranoid?

QDM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Dawg Eat Dawg alright....and the bigger the vehicle the more brasent they get.

Glad you okay, start dishing out the motorbike boots to cage side panels usually wakes them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hey folks,

Has anybody noticed a recent increase in suicidal tendencies dangerous driving in other (namely cars/buses/vans etc) users in Dublin? The reason I ask is I am just recovering from a quite shocking journey on my trusty GS1200 in to the city today, and return.:eek:

FYP

The problem is that it isn't suicidal for them. As Wonda-Boy said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Everybody knows that bus drivers, white van man and taxi drivers hate GS riders.
    Wouldn't have happened on a suzi.

Seriously though I think the best policy is to ride with the assumption that every other road user is a complete and utter idiot, and a lot of the time you will have assumed correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

If I were you I'd throw a camera up on the bike. If (motorbike gods forbid) you do have an off caused by one of these sh1ts at least you'd have something to say it wasn't your fault.

(In before Paddys valiant defence of car drivers.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Yeah, that sounds about right. I seen that every day commuting into work. All you can do is ride for yourself, be extra vigilant and try to keep calm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Normal everyday riding for most of us I'd say. I'm not even shocked at some of the stuff that happens me anymore.

Sure there are lads out there getting head-butts of horses now......:eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Sure there are lads out there getting head-butts of horses now......:eek::eek:

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Sounds like lane skippers?.

I travel the M50 northbound and my journey from the Ballymun to the M1/Airport exit is like dodging exorcet missiles as cagers leave it to the very last few meters before cutting left across the M50 onto the M1 slip road.

Worse one's I've had, and its been on more than one occasion and not a dig at the fairer sex ~ but the comfused/indecisive ladies who actually come to a halt in the middle lanes while they wait for a gap in traffic on the slip road...

Drives me bleed'n nuts :mad:

I swear to God its survival of the fittest between those two junctions and sounds like the OP is caught in something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

Sounds like lane skippers?.

Worse one's I've had, and its been on more than one occasion and not a dig at the fairer sex ~ but the comfused/indecisive ladies who actually come to a halt in the middle lanes while they wait for a gap in traffic on the slip road...

Drives me bleed'n nuts :mad:

I swear to God its survival of the fittest between those two junctions and sounds like the OP is caught in something similar.

Oh I had this back in the summer on a sunny Sunday afternoon only this time it was actually some twat REVERSING along the hatched area where the slip road splits. Imagine doing that cause you missed the turn and weren't paying attention to signage.

I could feel my heart stop! Very bloody dangerous and stupid.

• Advertisement

Had a very similar experience two evenings ago. A bus eireann driver dove down a turn left lane on ushers quay, as if he was going to go up bridgefoot street. He then launched back into my lane and almost trapped me against a van in the lane to my right as I was continuing on to ushers island.

When I got home I sent a very detailed email to bus eireann. They got back to me the next day saying that the driver has been identified and is being brought in for an interview. If you remember the details perhaps you would consider doing the same thing.

baz8080 wrote: »
    Had a very similar experience two evenings ago. A bus eireann driver dove down a turn left lane on ushers quay, as if he was going to go up bridgefoot street. He then launched back into my lane and almost trapped me against a van in the lane to my right as I was continuing on to ushers island.

When I got home I sent a very detailed email to bus eireann. They got back to me the next day saying that the driver has been identified and is being brought in for an interview. If you remember the details perhaps you would consider doing the same thing.

Fair play....them bus eireann lads should have a huge "how is my driving" plate on the back of the bus. Coz alot of them a fookin mental at driving.....just like taxi men. Because they do the same route over and over again they get careless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Its Kill or be Killed out there people, i see it on a daily basis to and from work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭Quebec Delta Mike

Thanks to everyone for your comments and support.;)
    I was really only sounding off, I doubt if anyone in the RSA, or Garda Traffic Corps, would give me much sympathy.
    The big picture I suppose is that it is survival at all costs, especially as we are so vulnerable on bikes.:rolleyes:
    No amount of defensive, alert riding is going to save us from thoughtless and ignorant drivers who refuse to be aware of what their actions cause to other road users!
    (Maybe I would be safer riding a Suzuki !):D

I am thinking of fitting a Go-Pro, maybe Santa will be kind to me !

QDM

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

Thanks to everyone for your comments and support.;)

I am thinking of fitting a Go-Pro, maybe Santa will be kind to me !

QDM

I've been watching a lot of motovlogging stuff on youtube recently, seems your better off going for a stealth hd. I'm sure someone on here or on moto vlog . net /org/com (whatever the hell it is) can advise you whats best

Advertisement