Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Science

Options
  • 28-11-2012 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi guys a freind of mine wants to do social science in UCD if anyone can tell me if theres any information evenings or open days for this course or anyone has experience with this course any information would be great thank you. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dores

Ucd Open Day is already gone (17 November), but your friend can still contact UCD and ask for more info. They can send their prospectus etc by post if she/he can't visit UCD.

On the back of one I've got is contact to:
    BSocSc Programme Manager, UCD Arts, Celtic Studies and Human Sciences Programme Office
    Newman Building
    UCD
    Belfield, D.4
    BSocSc@ucd.ie
    +353 1 7168223

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Trisha XxX

Dores wrote: »
    Ucd Open Day is already gone (17 November), but your friend can still contact UCD and ask for more info. They can send their prospectus etc by post if she/he can't visit UCD.

On the back of one I've got is contact to:
    BSocSc Programme Manager, UCD Arts, Celtic Studies and Human Sciences Programme Office
    Newman Building
    UCD
    Belfield, D.4
    BSocSc@ucd.ie
    +353 1 7168223

I know we both missed it.:o He can visit UCD I just thought there might be another open day or some kind of information evening so he could get a feel for the course and the college. Would there be any way you could set up a visit for a weekend day, we're both doing a course monday to friday at the mo? Thanks for your help. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 fefe0390

Trisha XxX wrote: »
    I know we both missed it.:o He can visit UCD I just thought there might be another open day or some kind of information evening so he could get a feel for the course and the college. Would there be any way you could set up a visit for a weekend day, we're both doing a course monday to friday at the mo? Thanks for your help. :)

im hoping to do social science too as a mature student and i missed the open day too :( but i think its possible to book a tour with small groups

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Trisha XxX

fefe0390 wrote: »
    im hoping to do social science too as a mature student and i missed the open day too :( but i think its possible to book a tour with small groups

Well theres an information day for applying to the CAO/ UCD on the 12th of January 2013 9am to 1pm and me and my friend are going to get all the information we can on our courses and about the college. I know you can book tours Im just not sure if there would be any on a weekend day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 caramelita

Hi guys,

Is any of you doing a Social Science evening degree? If so, could you share about your experience, please? I've alredy contacted DBS asking about the fees but if any of you could share on this as well, that would be great.

:D Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Thought I'd post here as I'm in the second semester of third year social science.

Overall its a great course. You study social policy and sociology, doing six modules per semester, and have the option of doing electives in subjects across UCD.

Topics the course covers include: welfare states and how social welfare systems work, inequality, feminism and gender studies, crime, urban sociology, comparative social policy, housing policy, social change.

Any questions send me a pm.

Thanks! :) Do you realise, as you progress, if there a working field this program would be particularly useful for? If so, which? Thanks very much again! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I got a job based on my position in the course, as a care assistant. But that's just one path really.

Thanks Stereomaniac! Do you mind me asking what a care assistant job consists of? I understand this is only one of many options but I'd like to more about it if it's ok with you. Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

caramelita wrote: »
    Thanks! :) Do you realise, as you progress, if there a working field this program would be particularly useful for? If so, which? Thanks very much again! :)

Hi carmelita,

I also completed this course, back in 2009. A lot of my class mates moved on to study for positions in Social Work. I don't think there is any specific job that the Social Science degree qualifies you for, but its a great stepping stone for further study.

• Advertisement
Advertisement