Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband

Options
  • 28-11-2012 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I know its an old question, but is there anyone in the city with a 24Mb Eircom line, and what sort of speeds do you get.

Moved out the comer road recently so had to ditch UPC as they don't supply the area, Eircom seem to be the only alternative and i'd like to get a rough idea of what speed/reliability is like.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Hey guys,

I know its an old question, but is there anyone in the city with a 24Mb Eircom line, and what sort of speeds do you get.

Moved out the comer road recently so had to ditch UPC as they don't supply the area, Eircom seem to be the only alternative and i'd like to get a rough idea of what speed/reliability is like.

Thanks
    I had one with vodafone couldn't get more than 8mb. So switched back to 8mb. Waterford road area.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

Allegedly on Eircom 24Mb getting this:

2338196376.png

Fine for what I need.

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I think myself once you go over 10 or even 5 meg it makes little difference unless you're doing a lot of big file transfers or streaming sh!tloads of HD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Sky King wrote: »
    I think myself once you go over 10 or even 5 meg it makes little difference unless you're doing a lot of big file transfers or streaming sh!tloads of HD

If it's just general web-surfing on websites with then it makes little difference. When I was in the Castlecomer Rd., I had the 100Mb BB package with UPC. Now that was awesome.
    Little difference on websites <5Mb but when downloading large files it absolutely plowed through them. I remember getting a Linux distro in a little over a minute.

Contention ratios with higher bb speeds might be a little better leading to better pings and overall performance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

If it's just general web-surfing on websites with then it makes little difference. When I was in the Castlecomer Rd., I had the 100Mb BB package with UPC. Now that was awesome.
    Little difference on websites <5Mb but when downloading large files it absolutely plowed through them. I remember getting a Linux distro in a little over a minute.

Contention ratios with higher bb speeds might be a little better leading to better pings and overall performance though.

Agree, I primarily use the BB at home for downloading ISO's & service packs etc. for the day job. Other than that I don't need massive BB speed but I'm not complaining either :)

Al.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

over in hebron ind estate we are meant to have up to 8mb coming into the office but the line can only hold 3mb a max, at one stage last week it was under 1mb download speed, with o2 using the eircom lines and its basically down to the copper wires cant handle it there to old....

Eircom dont want to know about it, o2 blame the wires so feck all we can do really......

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Just got off the phone with Eircom after a world of being bounced around, they claim the line can only carry 3Mb, disaster!

There has got to be a better alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Would 3 meg not do? It would be grand for general web browsing i reckon.

I wouldn't go wireless anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

3Mb is brutal, my phone can get a faster connection in areas of good signal.
    For any sort of usage with more than 1 person on the connection, a purposed 3Mb connection which bearing in mind is the max capacity will be under serious strain.

If you want to stream anything from netflix, spotify or even youtube while someone else wants to play an online game for example, you will have to look elsewhere.

The required speed to watch something from netflix at a 1/2 decent (DVD) quality is 3Mb/s, that should give you an idea of how slow it is. URL="http://support.netflix.com/en/node/306"]source[/URL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

3mb certainly not great but have to disagree on netflix streaming. Good enough picture while I stream on my ps3 and the kids watch on their wii at the same time. As good as standard tv picture for me anyway. Also, whilst they watch netflix, I can browse Web and watch YouTube just fine. I can only get 3mb here but it is a massive improvement from my mobile dongle I had before.

But if you are coming from a decent broadband your standards are probably higher!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

If you can afford one of the Metro packages from Digiweb I'd go down that route. Very reliable and speeds are a lot closer to the advertised mark than plenty of other companies.

Advertisement