Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Junior / Intermediate Football Thread...

• 28-11-2012 7:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I thought this might be a good idea for a few people in here.

What I had in mind was a general thread with just guys sharing how their team is going, upcoming fixtures, fundraising ideas, maybe some pics from games etc.

I'm the goalkeeper of my local team, Castle Villa AFC, and we play in the Kildare and District Football leage, one of only two Junior leagues in the country that play a summer season.
    We won the League Cup in Kildare this year, and were defeated in the Semi final of the Senior Divisional cup on penalties by the eventual winners and league champions.
    533959_436994309682649_1261972024_n.jpg
    Pic of the celebrations after the Lumsden Cup win.

We also played a friendly against Bohemians in June, and that was a magnificent occasion for the club.
    198268_380614691987278_1508404023_n.jpg
    Our captain Anto, with the Boh's skipper for the day, Kevin Feely, from nearby Athy, who has recently signed for Charlton Athletic.

_____

I'm also secretary of the club and I was also hoping that some other people who are involved in the administration of their clubs could contribute, and we could help each others clubs to improve.

Anyway, hope this works, and develops into something that we all can use and enjoy.

Al.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Great idea for a thread, hopefully this takes off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Is there a thread for the F.A.I junior cup? Or can we use this thread as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

hefferboi wrote: »
    Is there a thread for the F.A.I junior cup? Or can we use this thread as well?

Yeah I was hoping to use this as a catch all, maybe it might grow into needing to be split in time, but for now, fire away.

LFA junior cup this weekend - anyone playing? We're at home to rock Celtic of the MDL.

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Great idea for a thread, hopefully this takes off.

Yeah, hope so pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Im a Keeper meself play in the aul well i did but had to give it up due to work.. Heres a clip of a game last year when we beat ballymun on penos in the Nivea for men cup, saved a peno as well :-)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dYNuPCn-AYI

• Advertisement

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Im a Keeper meself play in the aul well i did but had to give it up due to work.. Heres a clip of a game last year when we beat ballymun on penos in the Nivea for men cup, saved a peno as well :-)

Cracking save from the header!
    How did they not score??? :)

Would that result have been unexpected??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

How did that finish in a 0-0 draw in the first 90?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Al, by any chance were you playing in the Leinster Junior Shield last season?

Just i remembered we played a team called Castle Villa, a quick google search and there seems to be two Castle Villas, a Kildare and Meath team.

Was that you?

Yeah there is one in Meath, and we are in Kildare.
    Castledermot, to be exact.

alproctor wrote: »
    Yeah there is one in Meath, and we are in Kildare.
    Castledermot, to be exact.

Yeah, did you play Killenagh Wanderers in the Junior Shield last season? I remember playing a Castle Villa side but can't remember where if they were from Kildare or Meath?

• Advertisement

Yeah our second team played you - I was at that game too - our keeper had a shocker in the first half, and i had a falling out with the referee!
    :o

I remember being impressed with your setup down there, new clubhouse et al, you make any further progress with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Play a prem side in a bit, we are division 3. New team.

Will post later how we got on. :D :eek:

Yeah our second team played you - I was at that game too - our keeper had a shocker in the first half, and i had a falling out with the referee!
    :o

I remember being impressed with your setup down there, new clubhouse et al, you make any further progress with it?

Ah that's the one, we got bet in the final after that.

Yeah got the indoor flooring and all in but not finished yet but getting some slow but sure progress.

Haven't been back this year yet due to my knee injury but we're doing okay after being promoted last season. Midtable after 8 or 9 games. Can't complain!

Luap wrote: »
    Play a prem side in a bit, we are division 3. New team.

Will post later how we got on. :D :eek:

Mustn't have went well??
    ;)

Pitch has just been inspected, and our game against Rock Celtic of the MDL goes ahead at 2pm in our place.
    Psyched for it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Pitch has just been inspected, and our game against Rock Celtic of the MDL goes ahead at 2pm in our place.
    Psyched for it now.

Best of luck alproctor.

Hopefully this thread is busy one.

This is where heart of game is at end of day.

So unfortunately we were beaten 3-0 - 0-0 after 78 minutes, our full back goes to sleep and they get the opener. We go 3 at the back with 6 or 7 left, and they scramble a second with a minute left, and a third two minutes into injury time. In truth, I should have stopped the third one, but sure that's how it goes sometimes.

Our season is now over, and we are off till preseason kicks in in Feb or March, with our season starting in late April. Overall a reasonably successful one, with us winning the KDFL League Cup, and suffering only 3 defeats in our last 22 games. Hopefully we can start next season how we finished this one.

Best of luck to you all in winter leagues! Hope this thread gets, and stays busy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Just found out there that our club, Evergreen, bet St. Kevins Boys in the 3rd round of the Leinster Junior Cup today.

The match went to extra time I think. Then David Grincell (formerly of Waterford United) popped up with the winner. They're very lucky to have him around, especially after losing Joey Mulcahy to Wexford Youths after his 50-goal season last year.

Gutted I missed the game today. Would have been some atmosphere out in the Kells Road. Fair play to Mick Hennessy and everyone involved in the club for putting it all together.

Not bad going for a team from Kilkenny. We can play football down here, just not the Gaelic kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,499 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just found out there that our club, Evergreen, bet St. Kevins Boys in the 3rd round of the Leinster Junior Cup today.

The match went to extra time I think. Then David Grincell (formerly of Waterford United) popped up with the winner. They're very lucky to have him around, especially after losing Joey Mulcahy to Wexford Youths after his 50-goal season last year.

Gutted I missed the game today. Would have been some atmosphere out in the Kells Road. Fair play to Mick Hennessy and everyone involved in the club for putting it all together.

Not bad going for a team from Kilkenny. We can play football down here, just not the Gaelic kind.

Ye cant do that at all sure:-Psure

Ah no, fair play. Wish I could get back into playing, but work is unpredictable so rarely set hours each week.

Yeah gotta agree - playing is the best... I'm 35 now, reasonably fit, playing better than i have in a few years, so I intend to enjoy what time I have left!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Mustn't have went well??
    ;)

4-1 loss, they were a good side, was 2-1 to them up till the 70th min. Had one of two very good chances to level it.

Cracking save from the header!
    How did they not score??? :)

Would that result have been unexpected??
    Not really unexpected we went onto the semis of that cup only to be beaten by Sheriff Yc 3-1 who were top notch. Beat junior team i ever played against

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sounds like few of you guys play at decent level. Fair play.

Only back in Astro twice a week. Great just be able to play and enjoy a game again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Dante

Not really unexpected we went onto the semis of that cup only to be beaten by Sheriff Yc 3-1 who were top notch. Beat junior team i ever played against

I don't understand why Sheriff stay in the AUL, they absolutely walked our league last year and are walking it again this year. Surely they'd be much better off in one of the higher leagues in LSL than Premier A? The standard gap between them and the rest of the teams we've played in the league is pretty big, even bearing in mind there are some other quality teams in the league.

I don't understand why Sheriff stay in the AUL, they absolutely walked our league last year and are walking it again this year. Surely they'd be much better off in one of the higher leagues in LSL than Premier A? The standard gap between them and the rest of the teams we've played in the league is pretty big, even bearing in mind there are some other quality teams in the league.
    The thing about moving to the LSL would be that they would start in the lowest intermediate league and have to work there way up to the top tier which would take the guts of 4 seasons id say.

Same happened when Killester jumped ship a few years back to the LSL and they lost a few of there best players as they didnt want to play at a lower level and in turn I dont think Killester are as good of a side as they were when they were in the Aul.

Re: Sheriff - Is it better then to be a bigger fish in a small pond????

I would have always thought that you should (personally and your club) always aim to play at the highest level possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

So unfortunately we were beaten 3-0 - 0-0 after 78 minutes, our full back goes to sleep and they get the opener. We go 3 at the back with 6 or 7 left, and they scramble a second with a minute left, and a third two minutes into injury time. In truth, I should have stopped the third one, but sure that's how it goes sometimes.

Our season is now over, and we are off till preseason kicks in in Feb or March, with our season starting in late April. Overall a reasonably successful one, with us winning the KDFL League Cup, and suffering only 3 defeats in our last 22 games. Hopefully we can start next season how we finished this one.

Best of luck to you all in winter leagues! Hope this thread gets, and stays busy...

Rock are a very good team, up front they are quite good and have a few players who played in the Irish league.
    Though i think their manager had to do nets!!

event wrote: »
    Rock are a very good team, up front they are quite good and have a few players who played in the Irish league.
    Though i think their manager had to do nets!!

Ya - the PRO of Rock is an ex member of our club as it happens. They only had 12, so the manager played in goal. Poor reflection on us that we couldnt test him tbh. :(

5 ex-LOI players apparently, and the two lads up front were top top class...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

The guy who went in nets, he actually played in England for carlisle and doncaster. not as a keeper but he has pedigree.
    Main guy up front was David ward id say, played for dundalk and newry (i think).

So good team

• Advertisement

event wrote: »
    The guy who went in nets, he actually played in England for carlisle and doncaster. not as a keeper but he has pedigree.
    Main guy up front was David ward id say, played for dundalk and newry (i think).

So good team

Yeah, there was a 'Wardy' up front for them alright! Serious player!

Just a bump to see if this can kick off again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Doubt there's many games this weekend :pac:

Gonna try bumping this again - most junior seasons coming to a close now, so maybe we can get a few updates from around the country???

Our season in the KDFL just kicked off last SUnday (Summer season) and we had a good 3-1 away win in Naas, and a local derby this weekend against a team from Athy who were runners up in the league last season.

Advertisement