Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warm weather booties

Options
  • 28-11-2012 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi - I am planning ahead for my next trip to somewhere warm where you need light booties to stop feet from getting cut up by reef.

I was lucky enough to be out on Bali a few months ago but I couldn't justify dolling out $50 or more for branded booties which I can't use surfing back here. So I just borrowed booties....

But as I say, planning ahead - gonna pick these up for a song ----

Ocean Pacific Splasher Aqua Shoes Mens
    and wondering if I should go one or two sizes smaller than my shoe size?

If anyone knows from experience, please share! Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Sorry but this post makes absolutely no sense, basically your saying you can afford to fly out and spend three odd weeks in bali but can't afford a pair of 50$ reef shoes:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭declanobrennan

Oh sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm asking if anyone knows if it's wise to get a much smaller size in reef shoe than your normal shoe size.

The details about Bali are superfluous to my question really. Perhaps I just felt a subconscious desire to boast about that! For shame. As for doling out for the Ripcurl reef shoes to be used for two weeks, there is that certain mindset that kicks in after a while in places where everything is cheap - food, accomadation etc, - and $50 suddenly becomes a one or even two day budget! Hope that makes more sense :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Take an old pair of booties you have here and put a few slits in them.

The shoes look like runners and I wouldn't surf in runners

Take an old pair of booties you have here and put a few slits in them.

The shoes look like runners and I wouldn't surf in runners

Thanks for the suggestion but I only have one pair of booties and I'm not ripping them up.

I'd have thought they're fine in warm water for simply covering feet against post wipe out reef cuts - though I guess I would be worried about them staying on my feet. Which is why I was wondering about size.

I take it no-one here has used anything like these for reef shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Oh sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm asking if anyone knows if it's wise to get a much smaller size in reef shoe than your normal shoe size.

The details about Bali are superfluous to my question really. Perhaps I just felt a subconscious desire to boast about that! For shame. As for doling out for the Ripcurl reef shoes to be used for two weeks, there is that certain mindset that kicks in after a while in places where everything is cheap - food, accomadation etc, - and $50 suddenly becomes a one or even two day budget! Hope that makes more sense :D

Still can't get my head around the idea that you'll spend thousands on a surf holiday and will risk it all on a dodgy pair of boots:rolleyes:

Have you considered that your feet expand in the heat and smaller shoes will be as tight as hell as well as making it bloody tricky to walk off a razer sharp reef on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

rodento wrote: »
    Still can't get my head around the idea that you'll spend thousands on a surf holiday and will risk it all on a dodgy pair of boots:rolleyes:

Have you considered that your feet expand in the heat and smaller shoes will be as tight as hell as well as making it bloody tricky to walk off a razer sharp reef on

Fair point there

Ok I am coming round to the idea of investing in proper summer reef shoes. So any recommendations and pointers to where I can get them please?

Thanks for the all the helpful feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Ok I am coming round to the idea of investing in proper summer reef shoes. So any recommendations and pointers to where I can get them please?

Thanks for the all the helpful feedback.

Get them in bali. About 25/30euro for a pair of ripcurl ones. Shop around, don't just go into the billabong shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nanoman

Buy a decent pair and they will last much longer. €20-€30 is worth it. Its good to have a decent pair - If you surf in Ireland you'll use them in the spring and Autumn when Boots aren't as necessary. And in places like Portugal if you want to surf some reefs in the summer etc.

Ring up a surf shop and ask if they have any and go in and have a look. Although they probably wont stock them this time of year, but the guys might tell you were to get them online.

Buy them the same size as your own shoes

Advertisement