Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada IEC: Australian Police check and VIC Roads

Options
  • 28-11-2012 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all, its getting near that time.. IEC hopefully opening soon! Just getting all me gear together in eager anticipation!
    Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience getting the Australian police and road history checks through or can direct me to a post that might of already addressed it!

I have already been to Australia (over 6 months) and lived in Melbourne while there. I have a full Irish driving license and owned a car in OZ.

I was having a look on VIC Roads and the only way I can get a driving history it seems is if I had an Australian license. But I never changed mine over as I was only driving for a shortish time out there (under 4 months).
    Also sher any other tips on getting the police check.
    Just wondering if anyone out there knows where to send me...

Thanks all in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

From here, dear. https://www5a.maxi.com.au/epp/vrd/DriverHistory.asp?pr=2&step=1

Well thats for the drivers history.

This is for the Police Cert. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/asia-pacific/australia.asp

I've been living in Victoria for the past couple of years myself and was wondering if anyone knows if I require any other documentation from back home too, such as Garda clearances?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Laura Gaf

Hi Undertow! Thanks a mill! But will that link for vic roads work for an irish liscense... I never had an oz one when there!
    Are ya thinking of hitting Canada too? Think ye'll def need an Irish garda check but you dont need to do it in person if your in Oz!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

Does anyone know if it matters how recent a foreign police check was issued?

I know that an Irish police check has to have been within the last 12 month's to be valid, but I'm a bit confused as to whether this rule applies to for police checks from other countries you lived in.

I got a police check for Australia issued after I left the country. It's over a year old but I haven't been back to the country since so should it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 emec

Laura Gaf wrote: »
    Hi all, its getting near that time.. IEC hopefully opening soon! Just getting all me gear together in eager anticipation!
    Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience getting the Australian police and road history checks through or can direct me to a post that might of already addressed it!

I have already been to Australia (over 6 months) and lived in Melbourne while there. I have a full Irish driving license and owned a car in OZ.

I was having a look on VIC Roads and the only way I can get a driving history it seems is if I had an Australian license. But I never changed mine over as I was only driving for a shortish time out there (under 4 months).
    Also sher any other tips on getting the police check.
    Just wondering if anyone out there knows where to send me...

Thanks all in advance!

Hi Laura. I just posed a reply to this in another thread, hope it helps.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82048143&postcount=46
    Undertow wrote: »
    From here, dear. https://www5a.maxi.com.au/epp/vrd/DriverHistory.asp?pr=2&step=1

This is for the Police Cert. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/asia-pacific/australia.asp

I've been living in Victoria for the past couple of years myself and was wondering if anyone knows if I require any other documentation from back home too, such as Garda clearances?

Last year you needed garda clearance from home, and any other country that you have lived in for more than 6 months.

bopper wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it matters how recent a foreign police check was issued?

I know that an Irish police check has to have been within the last 12 month's to be valid, but I'm a bit confused as to whether this rule applies to for police checks from other countries you lived in.

I got a police check for Australia issued after I left the country. It's over a year old but I haven't been back to the country since so should it matter?

I am not sure about this, but would guess that it has to be the same as the Irish one? They have taken down the requirements, and won't be posting them till the 2013 opens so I don't know. I would apply for a new one anyway. It might be a waste of money if you don't need it but would save a lot of time stress if you do need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Del007

Undertow wrote: »

Any idea how long it takes to get an Australian police cert from Ireland?

• Advertisement

Del007 wrote: »
    Any idea how long it takes to get an Australian police cert from Ireland?
    My OH applied online for his 10 days ago. Got an email soon after saying it was being processed and would take up to 21 days to be delivered.

Got it in the post today, so 10 days! That was posted to Canada, would say postage times would be the same to Ireland.
    Postage might be a bit slower closer to xmas, but that is still pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Del007

Cheers for your reply

How much was it?

Del007 wrote: »
    Cheers for your reply

How much was it?

Think it was around AUS$45, had to pay with credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 eight8

Hi Guys

With IEC opening soon, I was just wondering what do people think of obtaining visa through USIT, Go4Less etc or doing it yourself through High Commission, I was told that programme should open between 15th-25th January and that 1000 people have already paid fees to the third party companies like the ones mentioned and that there is only 6000 visas being issued... Do it alone or pay up so you get in there first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I paid with go4less. Fingers crossed it goes smoothly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 eight8

I'm still undecided, demand is so high but I guess you are paying for a service after all, did you pay €75

eight8 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

With IEC opening soon, I was just wondering what do people think of obtaining visa through USIT, Go4Less etc or doing it yourself through High Commission, I was told that programme should open between 15th-25th January and that 1000 people have already paid fees to the third party companies like the ones mentioned and that there is only 6000 visas being issued... Do it alone or pay up so you get in there first?

We will be doing it ourselves, like last year. It is not that difficult. Those programs check the paperwork after you fill them out. You still have to wait for it to open, and assemble the documents and fill them in yourself.
    They do not guarantee a place, and they do not have any places reserved.
    You will still send your application to London like everyone else and it will be issued on a first come first served basis.

The only reason to go with them is to have an extra pair of eyes check everything. All the info is on the IEC website and load of questions are answered on these threads.
    But it's your call!

eight8 wrote: »
    I'm still undecided, demand is so high but I guess you are paying for a service after all, did you pay €75

Yes, the only reason I paid is for the extra pair of eyes. If I don't get it this time, I will be too old to apply again so I want to make sure I have submitted everything 100% correctly.

No guarantees then I will get it though....

Anyone know the percentages that apply in relation to who get it each year?

Say, it's submitted by the end of January. How long on average until you find out you got it? They say around 8 to 10 weeks?

seachto7 wrote: »
    Yes, the only reason I paid is for the extra pair of eyes. If I don't get it this time, I will be too old to apply again so I want to make sure I have submitted everything 100% correctly.

No guarantees then I will get it though....

Anyone know the percentages that apply in relation to who get it each year?

Say, it's submitted by the end of January. How long on average until you find out you got it? They say around 8 to 10 weeks?

It depends on when you apply. Apart from being ineligible or not submitting the right paperwork, I imagine most people who applied in Jan last year got it. There were massive delays last year, and anyone who made a mistake and got their application sent back risked not getting it sent through on time.

But I would be reasonably confident that most people who apply in Jan will get in. We applied in May and got one of the last few!

Here is my time line from last year

Sent completed application: May 9th
    Sent two applications in same envelope in separate plastic pockets.
    Sent with registered post. Delivers in 3 days. Sent it on a Wednesday and it got there Monday/Tuesday.

Notice of receipt:May 15th

Payment requested: May 28th

Paid: May 30th
    Paid in cash in AIB Grafton street. Had all the correct info on the lodgement slip. Emailed the lodgement stub as evidence of payment.

Payment clarity: June 1st
    Got an email looking for extra info as the info we had provided was not sufficient. We re-wrote all the info on the lodgement stub and resent it. Not sure why we got the email, it was looking for our bank account number and other things. This one was processed fine.

Passed to second stage: June 8th

Received LOI: June 22nd.

Total time: 6 weeks.

This was short compared to a lot of people because they had cleared a massive backlog. As far as I know, everyone with longer processing times (up to 12 weeks) who applied before us with everything correct, got a visa.

Once you get the notice of receipt you have been allocated a visa place and are in the queue to get your info verified.

I would think that if you get to that stage before you turn 36 you will be fine as you applied (and they received the application) when you were under the age limit.

Yep, I'm 36 at the end of April, so have to get the application correct in January.
    All going well, I might just squeeze in and get the visa.
    From my point of view, the earlier the better that they are released in January.
    I have all my documentation waiting to go. Garda certs etc.
    I have an idea what will come up on the form, but want to get it filled in, and checked over asap, then courier mail it England!

How long does it take roughly to fill in the form? Would I have it done in a day? The one question on forms I always get stuck on is the education one. From what I saw of previous forms, there is no option to put in "post graduate diploma", it only says "masters".

seachto7 wrote: »
    Yep, I'm 36 at the end of April, so have to get the application correct in January.
    All going well, I might just squeeze in and get the visa.
    From my point of view, the earlier the better that they are released in January.
    I have all my documentation waiting to go. Garda certs etc.
    I have an idea what will come up on the form, but want to get it filled in, and checked over asap, then courier mail it England!

How long does it take roughly to fill in the form? Would I have it done in a day? The one question on forms I always get stuck on is the education one. From what I saw of previous forms, there is no option to put in "post graduate diploma", it only says "masters".

It took us a few hours to fill in all the forms and we double and triple checked them. It helps to have someone there with you, if only for when you blank on a basic question!

Just had a look at the education section on the forms we sent in last year. (on the IMM1295E) It said to fill in the highest level of post secondary study. You typed in the information, and the titles were: dates, field of study and faculty name and address. I put the course name in the field of study.

They don't ask for what type of qualification, and I don't think it was asked on any of the other forms.

Brilliant. Clears it up. I wait in hope. I must do my good deeds over the next month. I am due some good karma......... :(

EDIT: Is there somewhere where one could have a look at what way the forms need to be filled in.

A "dry run" if you will.........

EDIT 2: Also, does my CV have to be tweaked to look like a Canadian one for application purposes? A "resume" if you will......

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭CatMc48

emec wrote: »
    Think it was around AUS$45, had to pay with credit card.

Hi there,

Did you just get the Standard Disclosure Check - the one for $42 I think it is now?

I'm just confused as to if we need to get fingerprint check done or not, the IEC website (when you click from it to the government of canada, into the australian gov ones) all state Name Check - which as far as I can see is the equivalent to the Standard Disclosure Check - would this be right?

Thinking of applying for the IEC this year, so want to send off for this Police Check as soon as possible.

Advertisement