Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

APC UPS. not working

Options
  • 28-11-2012 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

hi.
    i am after pulling a old ups out of storage and trying to get it working again.
    its a APC smart ups 700 series. model no. su700inet.
    when i plug in the ups (with & without load) the overload light comes on and the ups emits a loud tone. the battery has two bars left in it and the fuse is not pushed out at the back.
    i have searched online and there hasn't been much there for this problem. one forum says to replace the overload relay. i have opened the ups and found the relay it seems to be fine. the relay is a SCHRACK RP920124.
    thanks in advance to everyone that helps.
    rick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ATMAddict

technoboi wrote: »
    hi.
    i am after pulling a old ups out of storage and trying to get it working again.
    its a APC smart ups 700 series. model no. su700inet.
    when i plug in the ups (with & without load) the overload light comes on and the ups emits a loud tone. the battery has two bars left in it and the fuse is not pushed out at the back.
    i have searched online and there hasn't been much there for this problem. one forum says to replace the overload relay. i have opened the ups and found the relay it seems to be fine. the relay is a SCHRACK RP920124.
    thanks in advance to everyone that helps.
    rick

Hi,

I had a similar issue recently with the 750 smart UPS from APC.
    What i did was mute the alarm and left the unit plugged in for 24 hours and when I loaded the unit it seemed to work fine( and has since, no reported issues)
    I've no idea why it happened, it was a new unit from the box, but all worked out fine.
    It could be the battery needs a time to charge properly before loading.

Thanks
    Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 42 technoboi

ATMAddict wrote: »
    Hi,

I had a similar issue recently with the 750 smart UPS from APC.
    What i did was mute the alarm and left the unit plugged in for 24 hours and when I loaded the unit it seemed to work fine( and has since, no reported issues)
    I've no idea why it happened, it was a new unit from the box, but all worked out fine.
    It could be the battery needs a time to charge properly before loading.

Thanks
    Robbie
    thanks very much for your reply Robbie.
    how did you mute the alarm?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 carter2

If the battery is old then it might need to be replaced.

carter2 wrote: »
    If the battery is old then it might need to be replaced.

i have looked at buying a battery pack but it will cost over €50 and what if the ups still doesn't work after that?
    I think that the battery has nothing to do with this problem because it shows two bars for battery health.
    kind regards
    rick

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's a lead acid battery so in storage it would have deteriorated, no question about it. I accept that there could also be a component problem but I'd be 99% certain that the battery is permanently shagged.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    It's a lead acid battery so in storage it would have deteriorated, no question about it. I accept that there could also be a component problem but I'd be 99% certain that the battery is permanently shagged.

i agree that the battery might be dead, but i dont think ill spend the money on a new one until i get the overload problem sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 carter2

Don't wait till the overload problem gets sorted out as it may damage the UPS completely!

Just got back from a friends house where i pluged in another battery and
    IT Worked.

The battery must have been damaged or the voltage was too low.
    Thanks everyone who helped me in the search for a solution.

Kind Regards
    Ricky

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Product is discontinued but you can still find software and documentation etc on
    http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=su700inet

Test it out once it's fully charged, just in case.

just to be sure, will 2 of these batteries would be ok to power the ups?
    CSB UPS12360-7F2
    link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It uses an RBC5 battery.
    I can't say whether your CSB battery is a good replacement, maybe the seller will be able to say.

Hi all.

I got the batteries last weekend, and they fit in fine and connect however.
    When i plug in the batteries and turned on the ups. the lights come on like they should but the overload light comes on again.
    What is happening now is a bit different to what happened before i put in the new batteries.

I have uploaded a video showing what happens. http://youtu.be/48rsMpd0OvQ
    The video shows what happens when NO load is connected, the same thing happens when plugged out and still NO load connected.
    When i connect a load no power gets through and the same process happens but a lot faster.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kind Regards
    Rick

Advertisement