Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crucial v4 Performance Terrible

Options
  • 28-11-2012 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

I got 2 crucial v4 128GB drives for 2 old laptops running XP (one needed a new hard drive anyway).

The performance difference is noticeable on startup but after that its brutal.

The computers freeze for a few seconds frequently.

Has anyone else had any experience with them.

Both installations were fresh installs and both with the updated manufacturers drivers from the website.

I have cloned one back onto a 5400 RPM drive and its running better now than with the SSD.

Tried with and without write cache enabled.

I've used SSD's on other machines with XP and have had no issues. It looks like I have 2 expensive paper weights until firmware updates become available.

Crystal disk mark gives decent enough results but Windows is unusable.

Comments

Did you create an aligned partition before using the XP install disc?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Did you create an aligned partition before using the XP install disc?

No I did not. Thanks for the response i am just realigning one with gparted and reformatted to an aligned partition and am reinstalling windows on the other.

I will let you know how I get on. I actually only thought it was an issue if I cloned the drive, didn't do enough homework on it.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Did you change from IDE to AHCI mode in the bios?

I went to change it but there is no option in the bios for it, BIOS was updated to latest on both machines.

Aligning the partitions has helped a lot on one, I will investigate the other when I get a chance.

Thanks for the replies.

Aligning the partitions gives lower values in benchmarking but no freezing so the problem is solved.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement