Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

off road camera

• 28-11-2012 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

hi guys i am looking to buy a hd video camera for going off road just wondering if anyone had any info on whats the best one to get or even one to sell , thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Go-Pro are pretty decent AFAIK. Wonda and KTRIC have cameras, I'm sure they'll be along soon enough. But I think Go Pro is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

go pro and one of the bike shops has them on offer at 299 name escapes me at the minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

another vote for the go-pro..
    i have several different mounts for it and can just un pin it from my bike to my bicycle or even mount it on the dash of my car... even have a mount for the my dog...
    great videos and decent audio from them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I started a thread on it here, one of the guys posted up some videos he's made http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056817234

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Do you have to screw it onto your helmet? I'd hate to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I have the Drift HD 1080p cheaper then the Pros and slightly better spec IIRC. There is a new one out now that is smaller and dearer, but you get 4 mounts with the Drift. You even get a mount to strap it to off road googles on bikes or ski masks. TBH, which ever one you get is gonna be brilliant...I have seen both in action and I prefer the image quality on the drift at 1080p at 30 fps.

http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/brands/drift/cameras#!/p=clear&brand_compatibility=57&dir=asc

I bought mine of amazon.co.uk with a a few extras.

Only thing I disliked about the older version of the drift was that to have it waterproof you needed to buy a seperate "boot" to go over the external mic. I think they have it all in one now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Check with Wonda he has one, and knows all about that stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I have the Drift HD 1080p cheaper then the Pros and slightly better spec IIRC.....

Apologies, thought you had the Go Pro. I know it was a good set-up, just not sure which one.

No big man, as I said before you would not be dissapointed with either one. Also AFAIK there is a new one (Go Pro - Hero I think) after being released aswell so that will lower the price of the older units, well after Xmas I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I'd recommend the GoPro as well. I got the GoPro HD Hero 2 Motorsports edition. It's a great camera and the quality is amazing. Even in low light conditions the the video isn't too bad.

One fault I do have with the camera though is that the case can get foggy in the waterproof case if the camera is on a while. This will cause your video's to look really hazy.

To stop this happening you can attach a non-waterproof case door (the GoPro comes with both cases) so that air flow keeps it from fogging up. Or you can buy special anti fog pads to put inside the waterproof case. These are expensive (~€20) and are only good for 4 uses :(.

I'd also recommend buying the extra battery pack so that you can record for longer. This coupled with a 32GB SD card will keep you covered :).
    Do you have to screw it onto your helmet? I'd hate to do that.
    No you use a clip to mount it to your helmet. The clip mount screws to the camera case but it clips onto a permanent adhesive mount that you have to stick onto your helmet. So it can clip on and off your helmet quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

GoPro Hero 3 is the latest version out. There are three editions, from lowest spec to highest spec (and price):

White
    Silver
    Black

The black version is the daddy and I don't think there's anything on the market at the moment that can beat it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

The Don wrote: »
    To stop this happening you can attach a non-waterproof case door (the GoPro comes with both cases) so that air flow keeps it from fogging up. Or you can buy special anti fog pads to put inside the waterproof case. These are expensive (~€20) and are only good for 4 uses :(.

The strips are reusable but you need to dry them out in an oven at a low temp every 4 uses. You can make your own with silica gel packs but hard to get those into a gopro casing. The simplest solution is to seal the gopro under an air-con unit, hand drier or hair dryer so that there is no moisture in the air sealed in the case.

I use a gopro for lots of sports and general outdoors and plan on getting the newest model next month. Contour would be the next bigest rival, then the likes of Drift and the rest. GoPro are top of the heap for video quality, spec etc. Contour do a model with a built in GPS but its hard to see that as anything other than nice but not that useful.

Plenty of hero2's cropping up on adverts.ie now that the hero3 is here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

I've a go pro 2. Shot this on the bike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE2xNtjJeC0

Files get large so good pc and editing equipment would be handy.
    New model go pro 3 - black edition looks like the bogs dollocks

This thread is making me want to treat myself to one!! Some amount of money just for a waterproof camera though.

Not really wizard, you can get a 1080p waterproof camera for €200, sure there are some peeps nearly spending that on smokes week there or there abouts.

Not really wizard, you can get a 1080p waterproof camera for €200, sure there are some peeps nearly spending that on smokes week there or there abouts.

Bought myself the GoPro Hero3 White edition :)

I'm having a bit of fun with it. So much to learn! Looking forward to the next few months with it.

Bought myself the GoPro Hero3 White edition :)

I'm having a bit of fun with it. So much to learn! Looking forward to the next few months with it.

Lovely get out on the sunday spins again and record us all making mistakes!!!

Lovely get out on the sunday spins again and record us all making mistakes!!!

I wore it out last Sunday and recorded an hour of beautiful grey skies followed by a dramatic hour of my handle bars. :D

Just getting it pointed in the right direction took a few goes. I'm looking forward to using driving in and out of work. Just capturing those classic moments when you wish you had a camera.

A LOT of people have stopped and chatted to me already when I'm wearing it. Bikers and even a guy in a jeep shouted "two or three?!!". Took me a few seconds to realise he meant GoPro2 or 3.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I have the original Hero, annoyingly I bought it a few weeks before the Hero2 came out. Main difference is the menus are ten times easier to use on the Hero2, and has more options for quality and angles etc.

Hero3 looks great, having wifi etc is really handy. I think you can sync it with your phone too. I’d love a remote but the price of the black one is ridiculous. It also has some other functions but silly stuff like 4k video which is pointless unless you are a professional movie maker.

Here is a movie I made on my last bike trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I wore it out last Sunday and recorded an hour of beautiful grey skies followed by a dramatic hour of my handle bars. :D

Just getting it pointed in the right direction took a few goes. I'm looking forward to using driving in and out of work. Just capturing those classic moments when you wish you had a camera.

A LOT of people have stopped and chatted to me already when I'm wearing it. Bikers and even a guy in a jeep shouted "two or three?!!". Took me a few seconds to realise he meant GoPro2 or 3.
    the helmet mount. it's a curved mount and put it on the top of your lid.

worked wonders for me at mondello. (there's a video or youtube thread I started a while back with links to clips)

on the topic of cams, cos I like my tech, the black edition with 4k res...i'm sold. but I have better needs for ~500e at the minute :/

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »
    I have the original Hero, annoyingly I bought it a few weeks before the Hero2 came out. Main difference is the menus are ten times easier to use on the Hero2, and has more options for quality and angles etc.

Hero3 looks great, having wifi etc is really handy. I think you can sync it with your phone too. I’d love a remote but the price of the black one is ridiculous. It also has some other functions but silly stuff like 4k video which is pointless unless you are a professional movie maker.

Here is a movie I made on my last bike trip

Looks like clifden and out to lenan area. (if I spelled it correctly) Nice editing of the vid too.

I might go for the new drift or hero3 in the near future.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

It's a mix of loads of footage on a round ireland trip, most of that would have been filmed around Clare, Kerry and Cork etc. Love it, can't wait to do it again! I was too lazy too edit the video myself, I got a guy to it for me for pennies on www.fiverr.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I am trying to decide if to get the GP3 White as I won't use it for pictures just recording the trips out on the bike. Not a editing buff so I am guessing the black is not my best option.

Sadly missed the GP2 offer in argos

Join Ireland Weather Network

Forget about the editing in your decision as you can get tons of 3rd party editing software for buttons. Get the best camera with the best features, thats what will make your vids too kool for skool!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Forget about the editing in your decision as you can get tons of 3rd party editing software for buttons. Get the best camera with the best features, thats what will make your vids too kool for skool!!!

Have to convince SWMBO about tha lol, but my birthday is coming up soon :eek:

Join Ireland Weather Network

I got the GP3 white and love it. The big factor for me was the resale value of these are great. So in a years time if I really need the Black edition I can sell the white.

Here is a video comparing them. Black is by far superior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZvPBBHAuiI

Might have a look at them...had the old Drift HD and it was/is a great camera but I had to sell it :(
    Where is the cheapest place that sells the Hero3 Black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Might have a look at them...had the old Drift HD and it was/is a great camera but I had to sell it :(
    Where is the cheapest place that sells the Hero3 Black.
    Been looking myself for the GP3B.

Upwards of 400e and I think thats just the basic, not many accessories.

kaimera wrote: »
    Been looking myself for the GP3B.

Upwards of 400e and I think thats just the basic, not many accessories.

Hmmmm, dont know if it worth that. I will have a look and see, can you get an external mic for the GP3 to fit into your helmet if you want to Vlog?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

For anyone who wants the GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition (buying one myself in a few weeks) shop around. On the GoPro website you can change the country of delivery. It's €450 here in Ireland. I'm going back to Canada tomorrow, and when I changed the delivery destination to there it was CA$400. That's close to €100 for delivery.

I've done my homework, and when it comes to personal action cams the Hero 3 BE looks to be top of the heap at the minute, but that's an awful amount of money just to get it here. Moral of the story, shop around.

Advertisement