Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's this car? (Riga Motor Museum)

• 28-11-2012 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

I was in the Riga Motor Museum in Latvia recently and there was this one car that I couldn't identify (its nameboard was missing and it seemed to have no markings). Does anyone know what it is and if it has some Latvian or Soviet connection?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭w124man

Looks like a McLaren .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Looks like some kind of kit car to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Looks similar to the Coyote kit car but I'm not sure if that is what it is.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Do-more wrote: »
    Looks similar to the Coyote kit car but I'm not sure if that is what it is.

That would be my guess too; Beetle based Coyote kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

From a bit of Googling it's a Manta Montage on which the Coyote was based.

No idea what it is doing there but it looks like a good place to spend an afternoon.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

You obviously don't remember Hardcastle and McCormac then :D
    230629.jpg

Based on the McLaren m6gt
    m6gt_5_450.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

hi5 wrote: »
    You obviously don't remember Hardcastle and McCormac

Oh yes I do !!

Rubbish programme, great engine noise. Perfect. :)

Along with other gems: Jake and the Fat Man or Greatest American Hero lol....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

I was in the Riga Motor Museum in Latvia recently and there was this one car that I couldn't identify (its nameboard was missing and it seemed to have no markings). Does anyone know what it is and if it has some Latvian or Soviet connection?

I'm slightly baffled by your username :D i'm trying to think of a famous belgian, but can't really think of one... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭FamousBelgian

2cv wrote: »
    I'm slightly baffled by your username :D i'm trying to think of a famous belgian, but can't really think of one... :D

Well one's username has to be unique so what could be more unique (or non-existent) than a famous belgian?

But back to the car: yes indeed it must be a Manta Montage but the lights look somewhat different which is not surprising given that it's a kit car. The mystery is only partly solved because I haven't figured out the connection with Latvia. Perhaps someone managed to assemble this example locally with a Beetle engine.

So, props to Do-more for identifying it and, yes, this museum is worth a visit (maybe not a whole afternoon) if you find yourself nearby.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Jacques Brel???

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Well one's username has to be unique so what could be more unique (or non-existent) than a famous belgian?

:D

2cv wrote: »
    Hermy wrote: »
    Jacques Brel???

Not especially famous and also long dead so really just a SomewhatFamousExBelgian (I'm sure this username is still available).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭com1

Erm... Eddy Merckx

And for the (older... like me) motor racing fans Thierry Boutsen

com1 wrote: »
    Erm... Eddy Merckx

This is going to turn into a Monty Python-esque "besides the roads, sanitation, etc. what have the Romans ever done for us"-type of thing so best to just go to http://www.famousbelgians.net/ for the complete list. But when you ask a Belgian to name a famous compatriot and they say Tintin then you know you've got a point.

Maybe to stay on-topic could just stick to famous belgian cars...

This is going to turn into a Monty Python-esque "besides the roads, sanitation, etc. what have the Romans ever done for us"-type of thing so best to just go to http://www.famousbelgians.net/ for the complete list. But when you ask a Belgian to name a famous compatriot and they say Tintin then you know you've got a point.

Rubens? :D

Minerva? :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

hi5 wrote: »
    You obviously don't remember Hardcastle and McCormac then :D
    230629.jpg

The Volkswagen on the left of that pic is interesting too, it's the ARVW (aerodynamic reaearch VW) from the late 70's, could hit over 360km/h and used just 6l/100km of diesel at 250 km/h which were astonishing figures for over 30 years ago.

Looks like a great museum, such a pity we can't try something like that here. :(

800px-ARVW_Riga_Motor_Museum_2008.JPG

800px-ARVW_Riga_Motor_Museum_2008_side.JPG

Advertisement