Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Akuma Day, NUIG, Galway City, This Saturday (1st Decemeber)

Options
  • 28-11-2012 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

Some of you may remember Sarius running a tournament at Akumakon early in the year. There was a bit of AE and Smash Bros at it from what I can recall. Well, Akuma Day is a promo day to promote the next Akumakon weekend. Looks like they are packing a spot of Tekken 6, Blazblue (doesn't say which one though), and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Unfortunately, there's no Street Fighter of Mortal Kombat on the setlist. Boo! On the not-so-punchy-punchy-kicky-kicky side of things there'll also be a Pokémon Online tournament and a Halo 4 one. It's only 2quid for the tourneys, so it's a bit of a steal. I'd imagine there'll also be lots of anime geekery going on too (and hopefully a bunch of hotties dressed up as a bunch of anime hotties).

I'll be honest here, lads. I don't have a heap of info on this. I'm not involved with it in any way, so I'm just spreading the word a bit. Here's their facebook event, and here's the timetable they posted about an hour ago (they still seem to be editing it).

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Pity it's such short notice, I do be down in Galway a lot these days, bit not next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I would have posted sooner, but really there was nothing to post. The only info there was before tonigh simply said "video games". Fair too vague to start up a thread about. The proper con should be on in the new year anyways. Perhaps there'll be more tourneys being run at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

Why would they run a Tekken 6 tournament? That is just silly.

Why would they run a Tekken 6 tournament? That is just silly.

Honestly, I reckon they just heard Tekken was hot right now, and thought sure we'll throw that in. They mustn't relaise that it's TTT2 that's currently hot. Either that, or the info on their timetable is wrong.

deathrider wrote: »
    Honestly, I reckon they just heard Tekken was hot right now, and thought sure we'll throw that in. They mustn't relaise that it's TTT2 that's currently hot. Either that, or the info on their timetable is wrong.

You are probably right but that's a bad mistake to make because Tekken 6 is a pretty bad game when it comes to tournament play. TTT2 greatly improved on that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

You are probably right but that's a bad mistake to make because Tekken 6 is a pretty bad game when it comes to tournament play. TTT2 greatly improved on that.

Yup, but believe me, it's better to communicate that in a friendly rather than antagonistic way- the people responsible probably don't know much about FGs and are doing their best.

Yup, but believe me, it's better to communicate that in a friendly rather than antagonistic way- the people responsible probably don't know much about FGs and are doing their best.

Don't get me wrong I am not giving out or talking ****e about the organizers I know they probably don't know much about FGs and fair play to them for running a tournament but I just don't like Tekken 6 being played instead of TTT2.

Their fb page is in the OP. Hit'em up on that and ask them if it's Tekken 6 or TTT2. Could just be a simple mistake. However, they also haven't stated which Blazblue is being played, so BB fans might find themselves playing Calamity Trigger :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Nascimento

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you have an Akuma day without Street Fighter?

Not criticising, or moaning, just curious.

Nascimento wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you have an Akuma day without Street Fighter?

Not criticising, or moaning, just curious.

I think "akuma" means demon, so I'd imagine it's named after that, as opposed to named after the Akuma that we know from Street Fighter. I could be wrong on the demon thing, but if it was about our Akuma the whold day would be more video game orientated. Instead though, it's an anime con that just features a few games on the side.

I reckon it should be Deathrider Day :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Nascimento

Ah, that makes more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Some of you may remember Sarius running a tournament at Akumakon early in the year. There was a bit of AE and Smash Bros at it from what I can recall.
    I didn't actually run that. I just kept sticking my nose in to bring all the FGs to mostly tournament standard. :pac:
    Though I didn't try and get Oni unbanned because it was too entertaining to see that happen.
    Yar, Akuma just means 'Devil' in Japanese. Though it was funny in their first year when Akumakon had the 'Ten' symbol that Akuma wears on his back as their logo until that was corrected :pac:

Well I thought it was funny.

Anyway, just so you know this Akuma Day thing is not a full convention, so don't worry too much about the lack of organization and whatnot. This is just a free precursor to actual Akumakon next year that sort of sprung up out of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Sairus wrote: »
    I didn't actually run that. I just kept sticking my nose in to bring all the FGs to mostly tournament standard. :pac:
    Though I didn't try and get Oni unbanned because it was too entertaining to see that happen.

Was there an actual SF tournament at the Akumacon I was at?

.......actually nevermind you said Oni, I think it was only Super at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Was there an actual SF tournament at the Akumacon I was at?

.......actually nevermind you said Oni, I think it was only Super at that point.
    Yep. I won (after Xinkai tried to bribe me in the finals :P).

And Oni was only added in AE :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Sairus wrote: »
    Yep. I won (after Xinkai tried to bribe me in the finals :P).

And Oni was only added in AE :pac:

I meant that I thought the Akumacon setups were SSF4 only, so you couldn't have won with Oni the year I was there. I might be misremembering.

I guess I just missed that SF whole tournament despite being at the con. That's weird. I remember playing in the goddamn Blazblue tournament of all things.

This should be open now, if anyone in the Galway area is interested. Gonna head that way myself in a few to see what's going down.

So today was the exact mess I expected to be. BB got cancelled due to lack of interest (I think one guys signed up). Tekken then had it's time changed and had only four entries (one of which had to leave halfway through the tounament). And, yes, indeed it was Tekken 6 that was being played. I dusted off my old Paul Phoenix for the fun of it. Ain't played since Tekken 3, but still had a blast. After the "tournament" was over, it just wound up being myself and three or four of my mates playing Tekken casuals. To be honest, it was probably the most fun 2quid I'd spent in a very long time. Just chilling out, playing games, and having the craic. However, I really do hope they have some actual organising going (and maybe some Street Fighter) on when the AkumaKon rolls round in January.

On a sidenote, if the Lili/Xiaoyu player just happens to be reading this thread, hit me up for a few fights and a spot of Street Fighting, dude.

Advertisement