Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing old trees with new trees

Options
  • 28-11-2012 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭

Have a row of dreaded leylandii trees flanking the side of the house and would like to replace with a row of deciduous trees. When I get these cut down to the trunk, what do i need to do to start planting new trees?will the root system from the old trees stop the new ones growing?I want to be able to remove as much of the old trees as possible, it a stump grinder the best way to before planting new trees?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

How thick are the stumps I took out over 20 of them from my back garden with a pick and axe, was a good workout but got there in d end

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Is there any space between to stumps? if there is then replant half way between them then it should be ok to just let the stumps rot away over time.

The main worry is nutrition as the soil can be very depleted after lleylandii.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm going to be doing very similar soon. i have one run of leylandii which is 8' wide, 12-15' tall, and about 30' long, and another about 12'x15'x40'. it's all gotta come out eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

70 foot of stumps might justify hiring a mini digger if you can get one in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the side passage is about 30"-36" wide. i don't mind the stumps in the longer run as much as i'd mind them in the shorter run, which runs up near the back of the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think you might have to replace some of the soil, it could well be pretty acid from the laylandii, or maybe some lime? Not an expert on that but I think you will have to improve the soil somewhat.

the previous owner left a nice big compost pile, so we'll work that into the soil. he also left a compost tumbler and a wormery, which we'll have to try to get going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

enumbers wrote: »
    How thick are the stumps I took out over 20 of them from my back garden with a pick and axe, was a good workout but got there in d end

hmm, these are a bit closer to the house, i.e when felled they would fall on the house or sheds. not sure how I would approach felling trees so close to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

Sorry I Took them down bit by bit with a chainsaw just used the axe to chop the roots to cut the main roots when I was taking the out. Soil was not in to bad of shape afterwards. All the plants I've put in afterwards have done quite well.

hmm, these are a bit closer to the house, i.e when felled they would fall on the house or sheds. not sure how I would approach felling trees so close to the house.

Maby get a professional in.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    I think you might have to replace some of the soil, it could well be pretty acid from the laylandii, or maybe some lime? Not an expert on that but I think you will have to improve the soil somewhat.

That is exactly what I have always said, acidify soil, but there appears to be various views out there, including that the acidification is not that acid or even a myth (I'm for conifers acidifying the soil):

"Coniferous trees and their litter acidify the soil with time compared to
    most broadleaved trees."

http://www.ias.surrey.ac.uk/reports/DEFNBEST-resources/Vanguelovaetal_abstract.pdf

whereas this seems to suggest that its ariel pollutants deposited that is the issue

"The primary cause of acidification (from forests) is the deposition of acidifying sulphur and nitrogen pollutants from the combustion of fossil fuels. However, trees can increase the amount of pollutants that are deposited on a given area due to the greater air turbulence created by their ‘rough’ canopies."
    http://www.forestry.gov.uk/fr/INFD-6MVEN5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Oldtree wrote: »
    Is there any space between to stumps? if there is then replant half way between them then it should be ok to just let the stumps rot away over time.

The main worry is nutrition as the soil can be very depleted after lleylandii.

Just getting a look today. Gap of 2 metres between 3 trees which have stumps about 400mm wide. Other trees are a metre apart and have 250mm thick trunks. Pro is probably the way to go as I don't feel confident with trees close to the house.

Anyone burnt lleylandi for firewood?

Was thinking of going for birch then to plant after. I'd like it to be a decent screen that will allow winter sun through when leaves are off. The house has 2 flat fields each side so not great wind protection when trees are gone

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

im burning leylandi in my stove at the mo.. chopped it down last april. one problem with leylandi is the feckin sap, all the timbers still full of it. it falls on the floor where its stacked and makes a right mess :mad: burns like hell though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

im burning leylandi in my stove at the mo.. chopped it down last april. one problem with leylandi is the feckin sap, all the timbers still full of it. it falls on the floor where its stacked and makes a right mess :mad: burns like hell though

might pay to get your chimney cleaned afterwards, will be full of tar. Advice I've read says not to burn it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

I've burnt seasoned leylandii and it is terrific. A good hot fire each day and a sachet of a soot reducer such as zip will help keep the flue clean, but you should have the chimney swept once a year.
    As for your replanting, if you can find space between the stumps, plant away. You can always hire a stump grinder and spend a day reducing them to chip in situ. Then, before you plant your new trees, a good drenching of the old or chipped stumps with a 20% urea solution should ensure a beneficial fungus colonizes the stumps and helps decay them.

i've burned it too; well seasoned. burns hot and quick.

Advertisement