Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Regiment Medals

Options
  • 28-11-2012 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Just thought I would put this picture of some medals I got recently.

I did a part trade and cash deal otherwise I would have have it. I probably paid more than it was worth but full irish sets of medals dont turn up that often.

The Boer War medals are to the Leinsters and the WW1 to the Munsters all to the same man. I asume the brass kukri knifes were bought by the man in the photo.

Sorry the photo is not the best.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 molders

Thats a nice group of medals, are they in the original frame? The set in the attached photo shows a group I have to a Boer War/1st World War soldier. His Boer War service was in the Gordon Highlanders and the Nambialand Border Scouts (hence the NBC titles) His WW1 record is interesting as the original recipient of my group commanded one of the Battalions of the Lincoln Regiment who served in Dublin during the 1916 Rising. The research I have with it mentions that he "was in charge of the party of troops who took the surrender of Mr.DeValera and his Sinn Feiners" The medal rolls show no entitlement to a War Medal and the original naming on it has been nearly all been removed. The original recipient must have awarded the medal to himself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

molders wrote: »
    Thats a nice group of medals, are they in the original frame? The set in the attached photo shows a group I have to a Boer War/1st World War soldier. His Boer War service was in the Gordon Highlanders and the Nambialand Border Scouts (hence the NBC titles) His WW1 record is interesting as the original recipient of my group commanded one of the Battalions of the Lincoln Regiment who served in Dublin during the 1916 Rising. The research I have with it mentions that he "was in charge of the party of troops who took the surrender of Mr.DeValera and his Sinn Feiners" The medal rolls show no entitlement to a War Medal and the original naming on it has been nearly all been removed. The original recipient must have awarded the medal to himself!

The medals are not in a frame as such but are on a board covered in a sort of velvet type cloth. I think it is safe to asume that either the man himself or a family member but it together.

I dont have much info on the medals shown but Step23 is going to have a look for me and he has a nack of finding info.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭phaethon

Amazing set! And as I said, thats the same one what I saw there, where you got them:D.
    It is hard to get an Irish soldier's two campaign full entitlments, however, it is way harder to find an original picture next to the medals!!!!

Timo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Great groups guys,here is my one contribution,to a private in the RDF who rose to captain and was awarded the French C de G avec palm.Private on the Boer pair 2/lieut on the 15 star and Capt on the pair.

kabakuyu wrote: »
    Great groups guys,here is my one contribution,to a private in the RDF who rose to captain and was awarded the French C de G avec palm.

Thats a realy nice medal group you have there. And having the photo is great as it adds a face to the name/story.

• Advertisement

I have attached some pics that I first put up a few years ago , the group of four medals to the Munsters is missing the QSA. I got a few more QSAs and KSAs since I put them up.

Advertisement